Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finds and Deals - Leather Jacket Edition

Wildhorses

Practically Family
Here is one I have never seen - likely has customer added elements to it.
Schott Black Leather A2 (48) with "studed" collar...and a pretty high price:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/384315905275?_

View attachment 354507

Studs on the collar ? At leazst they are not pointy, that would be risky.
That’s the model I like. The only original spot work is the three tiny spots at the end of the pockets. All else is added. I almost snagged it too but I thought it was tiny.

This one is a repro by RMC, 1990 ?
87957c8f1d8617897e97083e89b47ca7.jpg

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
I read this comment then went back to ebay and was going to post this jacket as it just popped up. I thought I had seen it here. Just found it on ebay and it had already run once!! I must have seen it, just didn't recognize what a cool piece of Motorcycle history. I don't currently own a HD jacket and never one with Fancy work. I've sold two ladies jackets, but never owned a men's jacket. this is not a small as advertised. 40/42 probably. I have no idea what model this is, certainly early 50s nylon lining. such and odd front pock arrangement. I love the Spot work.

I've always questioned Quality of Vintage HD jackets. This was just too Cool to pass. It happened so quickly!

Yes, I bought it.

s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

Very Cool Terry! Probably not good to wear through Airport security, but indeed quite the tastefully modified piece there. Hope I can come see it sometime.

Claybertrand

One Too Many
Too much metal! lol... Come on down when the weather cools and we will get out a few, maybe even a couple that Fit. Play dress up! Both my "new" Hercules will fit you.

Terry, I'm sure I've said this before but you need to turn your house into the FIELD OF DREAMS of Leather Jackets where every jacket enthusiast must make a pilgrimmage. It will be called LEATHER HEAVEN...... people will come. They'll get into their cars and won't even know why their doing it......they'll drive from all over to a small town in Illinois to a house full of leather jackets and remember how it used to be.......... James Earl Jones can explain the whole thing in a pre recorded message to the visitors :rolleyes:

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
If so, they've done a great job making the lining look like it's been worn for decades...
View attachment 354744

View attachment 354745
I should be more precise. The seller says pre-2000, and that is probably correct. Could be from the nineties, made somewhere in Asia, check out the buttons. Zippers look modern. The lining can get that worn in 25 years. Leather looks to be poor quality. My point was that the jacket is essentially worthless, certainly not what at TFL is considered vintage.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
This and their pocketless D pocket are always pre-set in my searches. The handful I have found of the latter that fit are always too pricey for me.

That’s the model I like. The only original spot work is the three tiny spots at the end of the pockets. All else is added. I almost snagged it too but I thought it was tiny.

It took me until today to figure out this jacket is a "pocketless D pocket"!! Seriously, I was too embarrassed to ask! I understand your interest. I've always had my eye on the HD Cycle Champ, but as you know, hard to find in a 44. None of the earlier HD jackets show up often and often well worn.

I'm betting this pocketless D is a 40 that I can crawl into for a pic! anything better would be a bonus. It will look great just hanging and posing for pictures.

The back looks as though it may have been painted? I'm hoping it will not be damaged. The pictures of the upper arms/shoulders are quite detailed and look decent The Original Spot work on the HDs' has always been a soft Spot! The added Spots are Spot On.

This Queen was like new with the early flannel lining and no label.

DSC01229.jpg
DSC01216.jpg
DSC01255.jpg

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Terry, I'm sure I've said this before but you need to turn your house into the FIELD OF DREAMS of Leather Jackets where every jacket enthusiast must make a pilgrimmage. It will be called LEATHER HEAVEN...... people will come. They'll get into their cars and won't even know why their doing it......they'll drive from all over to a small town in Illinois to a house full of leather jackets and remember how it used to be.......... James Earl Jones can explain the whole thing in a pre recorded message to the visitors :rolleyes:

I don't live far from The Fields of Dreams. Iowa Randy has been down a couple of times. I'm also 35 country miles from Great Leathers in Avon, Illinois. I'm a stop on the Amtrack to Chicago/Kansas City, close to two airports. Come on Over!

If you wear, or can get into, a size 44 you could occupy yourself for some time. I've lost track of the Motorcycle jackets there have to be 20-25 in house, of course all Cool jackets.

There is an invitation.

Will need advance of several weeks for cleaning then finding the jackets!

It took me until today to figure out this jacket is a "pocketless D pocket"!! Seriously, I was too embarrassed to ask! I understand your interest. I've always had my eye on the HD Cycle Champ, but as you know, hard to find in a 44. None of the earlier HD jackets show up often and often well worn.

I'm betting this pocketless D is a 40 that I can crawl into for a pic! anything better would be a bonus. It will look great just hanging and posing for pictures.

The back looks as though it may have been painted? I'm hoping it will not be damaged. The pictures of the upper arms/shoulders are quite detailed and look decent The Original Spot work on the HDs' has always been a soft Spot! The added Spots are Spot On.

This Queen was like new with the early flannel lining and no label.

View attachment 354773 View attachment 354772 View attachment 354771

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Harley-Dav...2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

C610BCB5-1A1C-47F3-92C7-1E8C27E81EFA.jpeg

Jumper

A-List Customer
Nice looking leather. Missing tag. Could be a gem after a little TLC. P2P 20"; shoulders 17"; torso 23"; arm length is only 22" though. $250. etsy link

View attachment 354738
I should be more precise. The seller says pre-2000, and that is probably correct. Could be from the nineties, made somewhere in Asia, check out the buttons. Zippers look modern. The lining can get that worn in 25 years. Leather looks to be poor quality. My point was that the jacket is essentially worthless, certainly not what at TFL is considered vintage.
There's just so much I don't know, and am still learning, that I can feel really ignorant sometimes. This jacket could be from the 1990s or it could be from the 1940s, or from anytime in between, for the little I know. I also don't know if it is what at TFL is considered vintage. I do know (I think) that an item's worth is a changeable, fluid, personal, individual opinion one ascribes to it, more than anything else, and so, in that sense, yes, this jacket could be worthless. It could also be worth a lot. It's one or the other, or both and neither, depending on who's doing the opining.

Given that I had reached adulthood by the early 1990s, it's hard for me to accept that items from the '90s are now generally considered vintage by the world at large, but that seems to be the case. A quarter century makes it so.

Also, maybe I'm biased on the subject. I have a number of lower-tier Asian-made leather jackets from the '90s that I'm perfectly happy to wear on a daily basis, because they look cool. They're also of surprisingly good quality, especially compared to what those same companies are making today. I really like them, but I also know they'd be worthless to others. More for the rest of us, I guess.

Thanks for posting this jacket. It's not my kind of thing, but it looks cool, and it might be just what someone's looking for, which, I think, is the reason for this thread.

alish

One of the Regulars

Thanks for helping educate me! I'd love to hear what about the leather has you say it looks poor quality. I'm relatively new to exploring older jackets. To me, the leather looks similar to jackets I've seen posted here and elsewhere that are much older than the 90s and that are considered good jackets. Not saying this to question you at all, but rather just want to learn what to look for / what I'm missing. Thanks!!

Wildhorses

Practically Family
There's just so much I don't know, and am still learning, that I can feel really ignorant sometimes. This jacket could be from the 1990s or it could be from the 1940s, or from anytime in between, for the little I know. I also don't know if it is what at TFL is considered vintage. I do know (I think) that an item's worth is a changeable, fluid, personal, individual opinion one ascribes to it, more than anything else, and so, in that sense, yes, this jacket could be worthless. It could also be worth a lot. It's one or the other, or both and neither, depending on who's doing the opining.

Given that I had reached adulthood by the early 1990s, it's hard for me to accept that items from the '90s are now generally considered vintage by the world at large, but that seems to be the case. A quarter century makes it so.

Also, maybe I'm biased on the subject. I have a number of lower-tier Asian-made leather jackets from the '90s that I'm perfectly happy to wear on a daily basis, because they look cool. They're also of surprisingly good quality, especially compared to what those same companies are making today. I really like them, but I also know they'd be worthless to others. More for the rest of us, I guess.

Thanks for posting this jacket. It's not my kind of thing, but it looks cool, and it might be just what someone's looking for, which, I think, is the reason for this thread.

This jacket is just what has been described in the previous post, some distressed low cost jacket. Not that it has no value, but it's only fashion oriented, pre-distressed, fake aged buckle, recent zippers, etc...
It's maybe "vintage" because it's more than 20 years old, but it's just a product built to look like vintage,
to resemble the style of the pre-50s/60s jackets that are loved here.
It's easy to find lots of these, just look there, the following jacket has the same buttons, just look at the label to get an idea :
https://www.etsy.com/listing/921294592/vintage-double-colar-punk-rockabilly?ref=shop_home_active_106
il_1140xN.2766766826_sgqr.jpg

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for helping educate me! I'd love to hear what about the leather has you say it looks poor quality. I'm relatively new to exploring older jackets. To me, the leather looks similar to jackets I've seen posted here and elsewhere that are much older than the 90s and that are considered good jackets. Not saying this to question you at all, but rather just want to learn what to look for / what I'm missing. Thanks!!
Excessive loss of topcoat for a relatively modern jacket is what I don't like in this leather. Etsy pics are very high resolution, you can see whole areas of the jacket without topcoat. It might be considered normal for a heavily worn jacket from 1940s or 50s, but for a newish jacket it indicates either extremely weak topcoat or artificial aging by abrasion, or both. Either way, I'd stay away from this one..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21