Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finds and Deals - Leather Jacket Edition

Coriu

One Too Many
I had my finger on the Trigger then the size 36 came up. A fine example of 1930s design again in Goatskin. Goatskin is where the makers in the 30s really Shine. I've have a very nice collection of Goatskin from the 30s. Each is unique and beautiful. Goat is where you see the colors and the tones. Most fashionable. This Windward label is mid 30s, the zipper on this jacket is changed.

I would like to pick the Brain of the Designers of that day. This was designed and produced with some thought and care. What were they thinking? Who was the competition?

I've become so biased I look at this jacket and think made in California and probably California Sportswear or Block in San Francisco. I can trace most of my Goat Herd jackets to a California maker, again probably one of those two. Goatskin was a perfect fashion skin and just right for a warmer climate.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/124979349616?hash=item1d19598870:g:JtYAAOSwCTphfIrt
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

This is gorgeous. Goatskin is a wonderful leather. The folks at Langlitz told me that many people today are choosing it over cowhide for custom jackets.

Claybertrand

One Too Many
I had my finger on the Trigger then the size 36 came up. A fine example of 1930s design again in Goatskin. Goatskin is where the makers in the 30s really Shine. I've have a very nice collection of Goatskin from the 30s. Each is unique and beautiful. Goat is where you see the colors and the tones. Most fashionable. This Windward label is mid 30s, the zipper on this jacket is changed.

I would like to pick the Brain of the Designers of that day. This was designed and produced with some thought and care. What were they thinking? Who was the competition?

I've become so biased I look at this jacket and think made in California and probably California Sportswear or Block in San Francisco. I can trace most of my Goat Herd jackets to a California maker, again probably one of those two. Goatskin was a perfect fashion skin and just right for a warmer climate.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/124979349616?hash=item1d19598870:g:JtYAAOSwCTphfIrt
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Horsehide and Steerhide are great. But for my money, no mainstream leather can touch Goatskin's uniquely pronounced graining. Some of the bison and other more exotic leathers certainly have unique graining as well. But aged Goat does its own special thing.......its a fine graining that really sets it apart from other hides. You get almost this Raisin-like texture and look especially in the vintage jackets. Capeskin is also cool but not the same thing being a softer textured sheep hide versus the much more resilient and tougher Goat.

Why are vintage American Goatskin jackets so rare compared to HH and Bovine hides? Was it mostly used for flight jackets?? Did these jackets just not hold up over time?? Where they only made for warmer climates/seasons??

I have just a couple vintage American goatskin jackets including a Hercules HB but I really do not see them too often. Not at all as prevalent as the HH and Bovine hides. I'm a big fan of the Goat!:cool:

Claybertrand

One Too Many

Dude!!!! This is a TRAVESTY how little respect Branded gets....... you can't buy a freakin' Windbreaker at Walmart for that price..... (OKAAYYYYYYY you probably CAN....but it would suck and you KNOW it would!!o_O) Very underrated jackets IMO.

This isn't exactly like Lesco or Fidelity.......which are also companies some of us constantly categorize as underrated. These guys were making jackets up until just a year or two ago I believe in Long Island, NY I heard that they closed up shop. About 5 years ago, I emailed and got a response from the owner who helped ID one of his Cafe Racers from years before that had been made without a label for a cycle shop in Northern California. The owner (Peter) knew the jacket and the moto shop off the top of his head and he gave me some info on both. I feel bad that they never got recognized enough to stay in business. Their jackets are well made and generally pretty heavy hides too. I'm not saying they're elite, but you're paying pennies on the dollar these days for almost anything made by Branded/Orchard. Now I haven't seen everything they make. But I have yet to see something crummy.

Uh-Ohhhh. I may need to hold my horses here on the BRANDED BEING OUT OF BIZ thing....... right before posting this I checked the web and according to the All Knowing Google, the shop still exists in Long Island City, NY and it opens Monday at 10am........ Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm. I hope so. Good for them if they are still kicking. Underrated no frills jackets you can find pre-owned for a song.

If you ever are considering one of these, quality should not cause you to waver. And really, neither should price for what I see these go for most of the time.

Dude!!!! This is a TRAVESTY how little respect Branded gets....... you can't buy a freakin' Windbreaker at Walmart for that price..... (OKAAYYYYYYY you probably CAN....but it would suck and you KNOW it would!!o_O) Very underrated jackets IMO.

This isn't exactly like Lesco or Fidelity.......which are also companies some of us constantly categorize as underrated. These guys were making jackets up until just a year or two ago I believe in Long Island, NY I heard that they closed up shop. About 5 years ago, I emailed and got a response from the owner who helped ID one of his Cafe Racers from years before that had been made without a label for a cycle shop in Northern California. The owner (Peter) knew the jacket and the moto shop off the top of his head and he gave me some info on both. I feel bad that they never got recognized enough to stay in business. Their jackets are well made and generally pretty heavy hides too. I'm not saying they're elite, but you're paying pennies on the dollar these days for almost anything made by Branded/Orchard. Now I haven't seen everything they make. But I have yet to see something crummy.

Uh-Ohhhh. I may need to hold my horses here on the BRANDED BEING OUT OF BIZ thing....... right before posting this I checked the web and according to the All Knowing Google, the shop still exists in Long Island City, NY and it opens Monday at 10am........ Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm. I hope so. Good for them if they are still kicking. Underrated no frills jackets you can find pre-owned for a song.

If you ever are considering one of these, quality should not cause you to waver. And really, neither should price for what I see these go for most of the time.

I keep telling everyone that for years and so does mostly everyone who's handled a Branded but not much has ever changed. They're zenith when it comes to quality and often worked in gorgeous leather - but - sadly, you can also stumble upon some pretty bad hide with obviously printed, corrected grain which isn't all that nice to look at.

Still, if there's one thing I can say about every Branded I handled, it's that each one was a lifetime piece. I never managed to score one in my size, closest I got was that cop jacket I sold here but that was seriously the most elaborately engineered police leather jacket ever. Just amazing piece of equipment and something I'm 100% literally no company today would be able to pull off, sans Vanson.

I keep telling everyone that for years and so does mostly everyone who's handled a Branded but not much has ever changed. They're zenith when it comes to quality and often worked in gorgeous leather - but - sadly, you can also stumble upon some pretty bad hide with obviously printed, corrected grain which isn't all that nice to look at.

Still, if there's one thing I can say about every Branded I handled, it's that each one was a lifetime piece. I never managed to score one in my size, closest I got was that cop jacket I sold here but that was seriously the most elaborately engineered police leather jacket ever. Just amazing piece of equipment and something I'm 100% literally no company today would be able to pull off, sans Vanson.

That NYPD jacket was amazing. Wear spots were reddish brown. Awesome hide and jacket.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
^^
They show up occasionally. I think they were made for Europe and Japan, with RiRi zippers. The hide is thick and stiff as all hell, perfect for riding.

Coriu

One Too Many

I own 2 Branded's. One is a beast. Am totally sold. This brand should be near the top of the list for anyone seeking out a quality riding jacket and not wanting to spend a small fortune.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails