Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finds and Deals - Leather Jacket Edition

Fidelity HH

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1950s-Vint...2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0
233B7E78-9F5C-4F98-9547-AEE887454B98.jpeg

Wildhorses

Practically Family
LW uses horse butt in their jackets, that's how you get grain like this:

nteRoj7.jpg
It looks like this leather is taken from the strip of the horse, which has this kind of grain. It's not from the shell parts, that would be too small for big panels like this. The parts of the rear containing the shell (in fact a membrane), are not bigger than 2 square feet. You could not get that giant one piece back.
The parts including the shell are sold for the boot market : they are "shaved", the leather part is cut, and the shell is tanned to become shell cordovan, extremely stiff, shiny and plastic looking. And extremely expensive.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Good post!

I had a thought- what if Stu died tomorrow? No more Lost World jackets. How tight would owners hold onto their LW jackets then?

That is very interesting. Is this how LW’s obtains such durability?

From what Stu told me they receive their hides as sides (as pictured below)

JgVlu7o.png

This is usually not how tanneries would deal with horse hides, but Stuart is part owner of the tannery that does LW hides so he gets what he wants.
This means that his hides are more expensive per sq/ft and they have more waste than if they started from FQHH but it allows them to pic and chose which part of the hides to pic for specific panels of the jacket.

Not all jackets are made from horse butt, but not all of them are made from FQHH either.
I'm not sure it explains the durability, but it definitely explains the variation of grain LW shows...

Wildhorses

Practically Family
That jacket is in my spare room... It's a Leathertogs A.
Current price in this configuration would be 2650$ in stock sizes, this 42L would be around 3000$.

JpFxWya.jpg

MsHnpEs.jpg

It looks like everything in this jacket is fantastic, the hide, the details, and it fits you well. No other one needed.

Wildhorses

Practically Family
I would argue that with such a fantastic jacket i had no other choice but to get a second one in 5oz moose hide:

2b3b95D.jpg

OVn5Xv9.jpg

These are impressive jackets, I hope they get some wear, that would be a shame to keep them in a closet.
Moose has a nice shine in the light. One day I should consider finding an LW, maybe not an MC one,
but a really heavy HH too.
For the moment I will stick to my Aero FQHH t-shirts in comparison, but I have the time to change my mind.

sweetfights

My Mail is Forwarded Here

JgVlu7o.png

This is usually not how tanneries would deal with horse hides, but Stuart is part owner of the tannery that does LW hides so he gets what he wants.
This means that his hides are more expensive per sq/ft and they have more waste than if they started from FQHH but it allows them to pic and chose which part of the hides to pic for specific panels of the jacket.

Not all jackets are made from horse butt, but not all of them are made from FQHH either.
I'm not sure it explains the durability, but it definitely explains the variation of grain LW shows...

And thank you Carlos for the inside information. I had no idea.

Claybertrand

One Too Many

JgVlu7o.png

This is great info! Thanks for posting this. Very educational.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot