Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finds and Deals - Leather Jacket Edition

sweetfights

My Mail is Forwarded Here
From what Stu told me they receive their hides as sides (as pictured below)

JgVlu7o.png

This is usually not how tanneries would deal with horse hides, but Stuart is part owner of the tannery that does LW hides so he gets what he wants.
This means that his hides are more expensive per sq/ft and they have more waste than if they started from FQHH but it allows them to pic and chose which part of the hides to pic for specific panels of the jacket.

Not all jackets are made from horse butt, but not all of them are made from FQHH either.
I'm not sure it explains the durability, but it definitely explains the variation of grain LW shows...

And thank you Carlos for the inside information. I had no idea.
WOW Great deal

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
And thank you Carlos for the inside information. I had no idea.

I was just on the phone with stuart, double checked my information.
He does get the hides delivered in sides, without the legs, but with the butt, shells included.
He didn't seem to think using the shells in jackets was that big a deal, he just said "it's a very tought piece, but it doesn't have much grain so we use it for specific pieces where it makes sens, underside of sleeves, top yokes, things like that."
Apparently the average MC jacket takes around 3 sides, so a horse and a half. It sounds like a lot but he says there is a lot of waste due to marks and defects in the hides.
It takes around 60sq/ft of horse hide to make a MC jacket, but making a sheepskin jacket of similar size only takes 40sq/ft as the sheepskins are much cleaner.

Claybertrand

One Too Many
He does get the hides delivered in sides, without the legs, but with the butt, shells included.
He didn't seem to think using the shells in jackets was that big a deal, he just said "it's a very tought piece, but it doesn't have much grain so we use it for specific pieces where it makes sens, underside of sleeves, top yokes, things like that."
Apparently the average MC jacket takes around 3 sides, so a horse and a half. It sounds like a lot but he says there is a lot of waste due to marks and defects in the hides.
It takes around 60sq/ft of horse hide to make a MC jacket, but making a sheepskin jacket of similar size only takes 40sq/ft as the sheepskins are much cleaner.

Damn!!! @Carlos840 you're on a roll with the inside info!!! Interesting and very much appreciated!!
Cheers!!!;)

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up

Thanks for sharing, very interesting.

edit: I just bought a jacket that LW should re-produce. Perfect for his work.

Last edited:

sweetfights

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Love this knowledge coming in. Thank you.

Coriu

One Too Many
Here is a beautiful Kehoe in a confirmed size 42...(seller checked the tag in the pocket)

s-l400.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/393792380789

If not mistaken, I have seen other Kehoe CR's listed for under $200, which seems very reasonable for a vintage jacket. I posted a brown one in October that went for $90 at auction. Is there a clear reason why do these not command more money?

Bahabp100

Practically Family
Certainly not as Langlitz as seller claims (stitching on belt line wrong). He also claims “ This Motorcycle Jacket was custom made at a small shop in Greenwich Village and purchased around 1988“ which may be plausible - (nylon?) YKK main zip would support that timing (unless it’s a replacement). And small collar design too plus padding, although present on various jackets for many years, was all the rage in the 1980’s. And fairly pristine condition suggests it’s not a super old jacket…

There are many cal experts here (I am not one), but I’m not totally convinced by claims it is an unlabelled cal… it does look very cal-like, but could be one of the various lookalike cal jackets made by others… in favour stitch lines from top of side pockets to centre are present, kidney panel looks stiff, 3 grommet side laces, belt stitch line spacing is like cal. Against main zip, no mention of fur lined cuffs people always mention as - supposedly definitive (!) - proof of cal provenance, claimed Greenwich shop provenance… unlabelled (granted cal jackets are often unlabelled, but my non expert understanding was that was that was for police jackets, which this isn’t - no badge holder is present, no belt loops)

Anyway it’s looks in great shape and the leather looks nice. But that main zip is pretty ugly/doesn’t fit well with rest of the retro jacket design to my eye… and price is not bad, but not really a bargain either…
I’m pretty sure the store The Leatherman was in San Francisco and New York City. Some of their LAPD jackets were made by Cal Leathers and others as I’ve heard.

If not mistaken, I have seen other Kehoe CR's listed for under $200, which seems very reasonable for a vintage jacket. I posted a brown one in October that went for $90 at auction. Is there a clear reason why do these not command more money?
I think these are the best CR style jackets bar none. The fact that they go for such reasonable prices baffles me, but is great for those aficionados that appreciate a find and a deal.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
great info Carlos thanks!
cow is also quite clean, probably they have sedentary lifestyle unlike horses, I buy a cow hide last time around 52sqf if memory serves, it was blemishless, and fit for a cross zip and got plenty returned to me, while the guy who cut it already very spendy in using the hide, like having both sides of the collar in clean panel without seam, and the facing is also one panel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy