Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finds and Deals - Leather Jacket Edition

Coriu

One Too Many
My local shoe repair guy just closed shop 6 months ago. He was in the same storefront since 1946. Now it is a real estate office- so sad, the place was beautiful (a real step-back in time) but he wouldn’t let me photograph him or the store...everyone’s loss.
Here's my guy.

1648063691488.png

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
@ton312

Attachments

• i-img1024x1024-1647808080qgdqhh28.jpg
    i-img1024x1024-1647808080qgdqhh28.jpg
    224.8 KB · Views: 44
@ton312
typing "horsehide" into the searchbar on that site is dangerous!

Claybertrand

One Too Many

Coriu

One Too Many
I have been told that the wholesale price of most of these Japanese brands is around 60% of the Japanese SRP. So 40% goes to the dealer/retailer who pay rent, salary and stocking etc.
So, it sounds as if a consumer is paying dearly in terms of markup. Is it fact and/or common belief that nobody can duplicate what is coming out of Japan now? Could JL(or others) not at least come close...and potentially save someone in the US hundreds of dollars?

There seems to be this mystique(well-deserved) about Japanese attention to detail...similar to the mystique about German engineering that has driven Americans to spend lots of $$$ on BMW's. I was fortunate to know a German engineer who came over during WWII and help the US develop the jet engine. He once told me with head hanging that the French are much more creative engineers, but how often do we hear about great French engineering, at least in the US?

Back to my question...are there other options, or do most people think eating this huge markup is justified?

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Unlabeled HB looks to be a 38-40. Looks to be in good condition for the most part. I'm pretty sure I have seen this design as a Hercules jacket. @tmitchell59 may have or have had one......

View attachment 412722

View attachment 412723

Unlabeled California Sportswear jacket.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Size 42, Horsehide, detachable collar, original HD belt. I don't recall this Gold lining. another fun Auction to watch and win. This one will not go cheap. Bidders are already pushing forward.

i should have measurements today. Then may throw my hat in the ring.

Gold is new to me too.

I suspect it will be too small though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy