Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finds and Deals - Leather Jacket Edition

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
I tried to make a deal with this joker but he told me he had 'offers from Japan'. But I could have it for $1200. After the auction ended at $810 he reached out to let me know the deal fell through. Phantom bidders I reckon. But I could have it for $900.

I rather not deal with hagglers like this.

FA9FEC0A-F6FC-450E-ABEA-51179898CF0F.jpeg

D6169682-2F08-4D84-96B4-067D7AEF6B97.jpeg

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
6.5k lol. Dollars or Roebels? He does take offers though. Lol

Looks like he needs the funds to buy himself a pair of shoes.

View attachment 412025

We should be glad that the vintage leather jacket market is no where near the vintage Levi's market. USD 6500 for a 40s type 1 is not considered ridiculous by the potential buyers. We leather wear buyers are much more sensible. Lol.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
I tried to make a deal with this joker but he told me he had 'offers from Japan'. But I could have it for $1200. After the auction ended at $810 he reached out to let me know the deal fell through. Phantom bidders I reckon. But I could have it for $900.

I rather not deal with hagglers like this.

View attachment 411986
View attachment 411987

This jacket got bid to $810!! He wants $900! He should have taken the $810 and run.

Blackadder

This jacket got bid to $810!! He wants $900! He should have taken the $810 and run.
It seems a lot of sellers have no idea about the vintage leather jacket market. They probably thought hey a pair of 40s Levi's or Lee can be sold for thousands of USD, surely a 40s leather jacket are worth more.
Example of what a 40s half belt is worth at a major shop in Japan.
Motorcycle jacket is worth a bit more but no where near the jeans.

Last edited:

Coriu

One Too Many
It seems a lot of sellers have no idea about the vintage leather jacket market. They probably thought hey a pair of 40s Levi's or Lee can be sold for thousands of USD, surely a 40s leather jacket are worth more.
Example of what a 40s half belt is worth at a major shop in Japan.
Motorcycle jacket is worth a bit more but no where near the jeans.
When a "lay" person sees repros selling for $1500-$2000, I can understand why they would think an original would cost more. Think about all of the collectible markets in which originals cost WAY more than any repro, ie art. I'm struggling to think of many niches where repros cost more than the originals, especially originals in relatively good condition.

Coriu

One Too Many
...some perspective on how overpriced some repro jackets are....and how it potentially distorts perceptions about leather jacket value. This saddle, completely handtooled and made from scratch...even the hardware is made in-house by a blacksmith...for about the same cost as a Real McCoys.

As far as the leather jacket argument of "it cost a lot of money to buy the original pattern"...the same argument can be made for vintage saddles (upon which this saddle design is based)...and those can cost a lot more than any leather jacket. And as far as the engineering that goes into a saddle...way more than any jacket...and that is coming from an engineer.

If they can get their price, good for them. Can't blame them if there are people with that much money to burn on a jacket..
1647972277692.png

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
...some perspective on how overpriced some repro jackets are....and how it potentially distorts perceptions about leather jacket value. This saddle, completely handtooled and made from scratch...even the hardware is made in-house by a blacksmith...for about the same cost as a Real McCoys.
What's your point, I'm missing it.

Let's say skilled machinist labor costs $75 an hour and it takes 10 hours to make a jacket. Add $500 cost for Shinki and hardware. Add marketing and design costs. Add shipping costs to retailers. Add 30% retailer markup. Add 20% VAT. Add all kinds of other costs (workshop, insurances etc etc). And suddenly you'll understand why that jacket costs $2k+.

Now for the price of vintage jackets: There's a very limited market for a used jacket with 22" back length, weak seams and possibly a musty smell. Most people don't want that: they want new, fresh shinki smell, modern fit, readily available, no surprises. And the possibility to return if it doesn't fit.

Blackadder

When a "lay" person sees repros selling for $1500-$2000, I can understand why they would think an original would cost more. Think about all of the collectible markets in which originals cost WAY more than any repro, ie art. I'm struggling to think of many niches where repros cost more than the originals, especially originals in relatively good condition.
Except you really cannot compare a piece of mass produced normal goods (even inferior goods if you consider Levi's QC in those years) to a work of art. These are jeans and jackets that people throw away when they outgrow them or they ran out of fashion. These are not even luxury tailored gowns. I often joke that the more people throw away old Levi's, the less there would be in the market and the more valuable they will become.

Coriu

One Too Many
What's your point, I'm missing it.

Let's say skilled machinist labor costs $75 an hour and it takes 10 hours to make a jacket. Add $500 cost for Shinki and hardware. Add marketing and design costs. Add shipping costs to retailers. Add 30% retailer markup. Add 20% VAT. Add all kinds of other costs (workshop, insurances etc etc). And suddenly you'll understand why that jacket costs $2k+.

Now for the price of vintage jackets: There's a very limited market for a used jacket with 22" back length, weak seams and possibly a musty smell. Most people don't want that: they want new, fresh shinki smell, modern fit, readily available, no surprises. And the possibility to return if it doesn't fit.
I clearly understand why people might want a new repro jacket. The issue was value, not desirability.

Am assuming you mean $75 US. I spent 30+ years in and around global manufacturing and worked with machinists who machined nuclear reactor components. They made $35/hour tops. $75/hour is executive pay.

A saddle like the one pictured takes 60+ hours to make and sells for just under $3k. Relative to a leather jacket, it is in a different stratosphere concerning skill/workmanship. I would be pleased to hear that certain commercial jacket makers are charging $2000+ because they pay their workers so well, but I am doubtful. Again, if they can get what they get, good for them.

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
I have a friend who works at a very well known Los Angeles based jean Maker. He makes 20 dollars an hour. He is highly skill and has been working in the trade for 30+ years. Additionally, I became friends with a motorcycle suit repair gent at a local S. Cal establishment. Sadly, He makes the same. Highly talented work, is sometimes not financially rewarded in his case. The owner of the business quoted me 680 for a two-hour repair job.

Last edited:

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
THis needs too much work but what an amazing design:

I would love to take on this project. Not as hard as seems. The beauty of these repairs is that they can be done by hand and just reused the needle penetrations that all read existed. The zipper looks like a challenge but, with patience, a good solution can be found.

Blackadder

I clearly understand why people might want a new repro jacket. The issue was value, not desirability.

Am assuming you mean $75 US. I spent 30+ years in and around global manufacturing and worked with machinists who machined nuclear reactor components. They made $35/hour tops. $75/hour is executive pay.

A saddle like the one pictured takes 60+ hours to make and sells for just under $3k. Relative to a leather jacket, it is in a different stratosphere concerning skill/workmanship. I would be pleased to hear that certain commercial jacket makers are charging $2000+ because they pay their workers so well, but I am doubtful. Again, if they can get what they get, good for them.
I have been told that the wholesale price of most of these Japanese brands is around 60% of the Japanese SRP. So 40% goes to the dealer/retailer who pay rent, salary and stocking etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk