Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finds and Deals - Leather Jacket Edition

The jacket in questions is obviously overpriced. It is an interesting jacket to me because the plain back styling reminds me of a Monarch jacket. The Durable brand/label does not translate into rarity and value because of the Durable/Brando connection. I owned and sold 2 vintage Durables.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/32XpLFpfMPgEfXCDA

https://photos.app.goo.gl/EFywS8z2PeeKPVsG6

They were sold because they did not fit me. Both are high quality jackets of their day. Durable made a very standard line of jackets including a MC style jacket.

The Durable/Brando connection is well known. I'm not sure of the current status. Seems enough believe it is true to create a demand for the MC jacket. There are threads on here about this jacket, folks here own them.

I have never handled a Durable MC jacket, so I could not comment on them in comparison to others. I do like the look of them.

That all changed about half an hour ago as I was thinking about this answer. This jacket will ask and answer a lot of questions.

View attachment 497345 View attachment 497346
The eBay jacket photos confirm my thoughts on Durable, a misnomer of a label:p
Maybe I’m just bitter that this one fell apart like a Chinese motorcycle:
230E9807-92EC-43FA-8C93-35BA026D5A24.jpeg
9B8EDA01-7900-42B9-A803-389F318F0470.jpeg

It could’ve been a contender….LOL. Now it’s in a hefty bag labeled “parts”

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
The eBay jacket photos confirm my thoughts on Durable, a misnomer of a label:p
Maybe I’m just bitter that this one fell apart like a Chinese motorcycle:
View attachment 497355 View attachment 497356
It could’ve been a contender….LOL. Now it’s in a hefty bag labeled “parts”

I have jackets just like that, need complete re-do. I know the pain. Neither of the Durables I owned were in need of any work. They were both quality jackets.

What you demonstrated in that pictures is how cool a Durable jacket can be. The style presented is a "common" 50s style, but Durable just made it a bit more tailored. This one also reminds me of the tailoring that Monarch did, simple jacket done well.

Yes, could have been a contender not just a bum.

I have jackets just like that, need complete re-do. I know the pain. Neither of the Durables I owned were in need of any work. They were both quality jackets.

What you demonstrated in that pictures is how cool a Durable jacket can be. The style presented is a "common" 50s style, but Durable just made it a bit more tailored. This one also reminds me of the tailoring that Monarch did, simple jacket done well.

Yes, could have been a contender not just a bum.
Once the back yoke starting tearing like cardboard….KO’d.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Wow!!!!! Looks like a cool jacket!!!!! Talk about bein ON THE CASE!!!!!!! @tmitchell59 give us your read on the DURABLE jacket when you have a chance!! That label looks more modern than some I have seen but maybe its actually older??? The jacket looks pretty old especially the collar. Hoping you didn't spend $10,000.00 on this!!!!! : )

Durable had a variety of labels. I believe this jacket is older due to the lining, pre-red quilt. Won't see the zippers until I get it.

I don't see the issue with the leather they used. Check out the Blue one I posted link to above, even has the tanners label in it! The Brown one I posted was a hard nosed pony hide, no issues with either one.

I don't expect this jacket to be the end all, at my house it has some very tough competition. Lot of horses in the corral.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
No, he’s saving the $10,000 certified check for the Standard & Strange jacket.
lol!! I haven't seen the 10K jacket, maybe a trade?

Mine was well less than 10K, it just happened along at a reasonable rate. I'm quite sure many people would have passed or made an offer, it was not the best presentation. Not sure the size, maybe a 40?

Wildhorses

Practically Family
lol!! I haven't seen the 10K jacket, maybe a trade?

Mine was well less than 10K, it just happened along at a reasonable rate. I'm quite sure many people would have passed or made an offer, it was not the best presentation. Not sure the size, maybe a 40?
I have seen the jacket on ebay, it was something like $500. Nice score. Probably a medium size.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112