Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finds and Deals - Leather Jacket Edition

jeo

One Too Many
60's Perfecto size 46. Not in the best shape but awesome patina. $310

https://buyee.jp/mercari/item/m76998738739?conversionType=service_page_search

m76998738739_2.jpg

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here

jeo

One Too Many
This model is the exact same design as my late 40s Grais. Same pocket placement including the pillon pocket, double bars and type of buckle. Pretty clear evidence that even back in the 50s, leather jacket brands copy each other down to a T.
There’s a Grais on eBay right now. Pricey but great condition. Very similar although I don’t think it’s exactly the same.

Oh yeah everyone copied everyone haha

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
This model is the exact same design as my late 40s Grais. Same pocket placement including the pillon pocket, double bars and type of buckle. Pretty clear evidence that even back in the 50s, leather jacket brands copy each other down to a T.
I was curious if anyone would notice this. Compare this jacket on just looks alone, no fit issues. In my estimation the pictured Blatt is 3x the quality of most jackets in this recent thread but the same price or less?

Jacket makers did copy each other, I was just documented that with Buco, Appalachian, Indian, jackets, Californian, Each used a very unique and similar lining at the same time in the late 40s.

Is the Blatt similar to the Grais or the same jacket with a different label? For more confusion bring in HD jackets and the same thing happens. Certain models between Grais, HD, Blatt, look to be the same jacket with different labels.

We know HD was not a jacket maker. We assume Blatt, and Grais are makers. Blatt and Grais in Chicago, HD in Milwaukee. Adds up to me. Answer several questions I've pondered mostly concerning the HD jackets.

Blackadder

I
I was curious if anyone would notice this. Compare this jacket on just looks alone, no fit issues. In my estimation the pictured Blatt is 3x the quality of most jackets in this recent thread but the same price or less?

Jacket makers did copy each other, I was just documented that with Buco, Appalachian, Indian, jackets, Californian, Each used a very unique and similar lining at the same time in the late 40s.

Is the Blatt similar to the Grais or the same jacket with a different label? For more confusion bring in HD jackets and the same thing happens. Certain models between Grais, HD, Blatt, look to be the same jacket with different labels.

We know HD was not a jacket maker. We assume Blatt, and Grais are makers. Blatt and Grais in Chicago, HD in Milwaukee. Adds up to me. Answer several questions I've pondered mostly concerning the HD jackets.
I was tempted to buy the Blatt for comparison. I suspect the Blatt is made of thicker leather. It would be great to confirm if Blatt was a maker. I believe Grais history is on the web showing it was a maker.

Claybertrand

One Too Many

Like the Bay Area of CA, and the Massachusetts makers. it appears this is a familiar theme of regional similarities that seem to be more than coincidental to be sure. Are certain styles just commonplace in the industry?? Are makers shamelessly copying styles?? Are there offshoot makers that keep established designs and techniques going under different names?? Relatives?? Former employees?? Probably a bit of everything as we have seen elsewhere. Like elsewhere, hard to find concrete confirmation but there are at least dots to be connected.

Blackadder

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner