Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finds and Deals - Leather Jacket Edition

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
Was this set up $550 BIN? I was watching. omg! I did not see the additional pictures below the description. I downloaded all in the photo section and that was enough for me, I could see the tell tale signs of rot. I was intrigued by the jacket, the pocket zipp does say pre-war and and excellent appearing 50s main zip replacements. The Cuffs tell a story, but I'm not quite certain. It is not California Sportswear, I would say Block. They did a lot in Goatskin too and they had some flair.

After missing those pictures I may be able to explain the BIN or one bid. The buyer didn't see these pics either and was going by the gallery shots, which don't have the full details.

Think I should put my Hercules on ebay! It is better shape.

I was thinking it was Californian. I have one Californian with the exact same lining. However, there were not that many other clues in the jacket that will lead me to make a more educated conclusion.

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
Best looking Reed I’ve seen.
Mike, I have several. The hide is top of the line. As Max previously stated, the hide is very much like first production white label HD. I have both. Ealy 60s CR are quality jackets. Your green jacket is a perfect example. Sadly for me, my Conmar zipper HD white label does not longer fit me. Purchased it in 1983. Still looking for one in my present size. I might post of both next to each other.

Last edited:

photo2u

Call Me a Cab

Madhouse27

One of the Regulars
It's a beauty all right, but can someone drop some knowledge on me? What identifies this as a Reed? Not sayin' it's not, I just don't know what to look for with Reed racers.
Hi Jumper, this is my listing. I bought this jacket listed as an R Sherman and incorrectly advertised as a 44. Long story short, I really loved the jacket but it didn’t fit so I’ve been on a bit of a crusade to find another one in my size. It’s quite Kehoe-like except for the sleeve zips, so I figured it to be a Michigan jacket. I ended up finding this exact model (except in brown) that still had the liner with all the identifying tags.. The seller had a ton of pics so I was able to really match up some pretty small details. I’m still looking for one in black, probably 44 as it’s got quite a V cut to it. I’m not sure if the pictures do it justice, but this is a sturdy, almost still stiff feeling piece of leather with a lot of character and no problems. I really wish it fit.

Jumper

A-List Customer
Hi Jumper, this is my listing. I bought this jacket listed as an R Sherman and incorrectly advertised as a 44. Long story short, I really loved the jacket but it didn’t fit so I’ve been on a bit of a crusade to find another one in my size. It’s quite Kehoe-like except for the sleeve zips, so I figured it to be a Michigan jacket. I ended up finding this exact model (except in brown) that still had the liner with all the identifying tags.. The seller had a ton of pics so I was able to really match up some pretty small details. I’m still looking for one in black, probably 44 as it’s got quite a V cut to it. I’m not sure if the pictures do it justice, but this is a sturdy, almost still stiff feeling piece of leather with a lot of character and no problems. I really wish it fit.
It looks great. Too small for me. I was just curious about how to ID a Reed cafe racer. I can ID a Brooks or a Kehoe, probably an Esprit, but I'd just have no idea what to look for to say, "Oh, that's a Reed." But I'll look around, I'm sure somebody's posted about that very thing somewhere on the Lounge at some point. In any case, GLWS.

Madhouse27

One of the Regulars
It looks great. Too small for me. I was just curious about how to ID a Reed cafe racer. I can ID a Brooks or a Kehoe, probably an Esprit, but I'd just have no idea what to look for to say, "Oh, that's a Reed." But I'll look around, I'm sure somebody's posted about that very thing somewhere on the Lounge at some point. In any case, GLWS.
Reed seems to have dabbled in a lot of different styles over the years. I’d be interesting in knowing when this particular one was made because it may have been their finest hour compared to some of the Reed stuff I see listed on eBay. What‘s wild is that they’re still in business. They actually have a made in USA, naked leather cafe racer for $399 that actually looks pretty cool!

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
Reed seems to have dabbled in a lot of different styles over the years. I’d be interesting in knowing when this particular one was made because it may have been their finest hour compared to some of the Reed stuff I see listed on eBay. What‘s wild is that they’re still in business. They actually have a made in USA, naked leather cafe racer for $399 that actually looks pretty cool!

Back in the day (early 60), Reed was big. I think they were the leather suppliers for many big companies. Your jacket is late60s to early 70. The lining zipper and the fact it does not have a label are the major clues. Mine has labels on both the lining and the jacket.
The size of your jacket is just too small for me. Otherwise, I would have snatched that beauty. I had some Good wear and another high-end name brand, your jacket quality, and its hide is as good as they get.

GLWS.

Last edited:

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
Back in the day (early 60), Reed was big. I think they were the leather suppliers for many big companies. Your jacket is late60s to early 70. The lining zipper and the fact it does not have a label are the major clues. Mine has labels on both the lining and the jacket.
The size of your jacket is just too small for me. Otherwise, I would have snatched that beauty. I had some Good wear and another high-end name brand, your jacket quality, and its hide is as good as they get.

GLWS.
Revision, I was looking at the quality of the jacket's hide. The hide in this particular jacket was consistent with the very early 60s. However, the lining feature of the jacket was later present in mid-60s production. The removable lining jackets, I have, are mid-sixties. The early one with the same hide as yours did not have a removable lining.

Last edited:

Batoidea

One of the Regulars
Windward HH Halfbelt. 22.4" p2p - bidding currently at 2750 yen.

i-img640x480-1682825829m0yp1w15.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats