Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finds and Deals - Leather Jacket Edition

Leather Walker

Practically Family
Brown Schott 125 in size 44, BIN 150€: ebay.fr
s-l1600.jpg

That doesn’t look like a SG to me. A few other makers did do the pocket stitch (I assume you mean the stitch from the top of the pocket towards the zip). CSC being one. I’ve seen a Seattle Woolen. Al’s. Very few others. This came up a couple years ago but I can’t find the discussion.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That doesn’t look like a SG to me. A few other makers did do the pocket stitch (I assume you mean the stitch from the top of the pocket towards the zip). CSC being one. I’ve seen a Seattle Woolen. Al’s. Very few others. This came up a couple years ago but I can’t find the discussion.

I'm completely open to correction here. I did a search and I think this is the post I was thinking of:

Lots of jackets out there with no labels, but interestingly enough, she said no one ever really did a straight up copy. The little details like the across the front stitching off the hand warmer pockets, the fur in the sleeves, and even the waist band. She said that Cal has a certain pattern with how far the stitch lines are spaced and even how the pattern of the stitching. She said Langlitz was probably the closest copy she ever saw as far as details. So if you see something that looks like a Cal, chances are it is.

I'm completely open to correction here. I did a search and I think this is the post I was thinking of:

Yes, I would agree that if it looks like a Cal it probably is. But that look is the sum of the jacket’s parts, like TooMany quotes. The pocket stitch lines by themselves get you close but not all the way there. Have to add fur-lined cuffs, hidden lapel and collar snaps, stitch pattern on bottom hem, snap placement on belt loops, canvas lined pockets with size marked in pen, two collar snaps to attach removable collar just under back of collar, typical hardware used by Cal, etc. Then the kicker, not all Cals share these traits because of customization and/or police contracts. Also, throw in the wide variety of labels they can be found with. Sometimes a Cal just looking like a Cal is the way to go lol.

I would agree that the jacket in question is a CSC and not a Cal. CSC Police/CHP also seem to have their look.

Gypsymoth82

A-List Customer

jeo

One Too Many
Those zip strips are funky to me. The jacket is nice.
I think that's just a way to expand the jacket. Pretty clever if it is. We've seen worse mods like the cross zip turned straight zip Windward that I posted a while back and then someone reposted.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
I assume so. The owner of Cal told a member here that of all the vintage CHP jackets she's seen, non-Cals didn't copy the pocket stitch.

This looks more like a California Sportswear, it shows all its identifying aspects. Pics by @Bern1 post at Classifieds. Amazing jacket, btw!
californian-front-jpeg.243115

My feeling was it's not a Cal or Star glove because of the snaps are on the outside of the lapels, they always hid theirs within the leather.

View attachment 513592 View attachment 513593

Great find!

Yes, I would agree that if it looks like a Cal it probably is. But that look is the sum of the jacket’s parts, like TooMany quotes. The pocket stitch lines by themselves get you close but not all the way there. Have to add fur-lined cuffs, hidden lapel and collar snaps, stitch pattern on bottom hem, snap placement on belt loops, canvas lined pockets with size marked in pen, two collar snaps to attach removable collar just under back of collar, typical hardware used by Cal, etc. Then the kicker, not all Cals share these traits because of customization and/or police contracts. Also, throw in the wide variety of labels they can be found with. Sometimes a Cal just looking like a Cal is the way to go lol.

I would agree that the jacket in question is a CSC and not a Cal. CSC Police/CHP also seem to have their look.+65
Thanks for the responses. I'm still scratching my head over this one. Talon paper clip, the lining, the quality of the leather drew me to this one. Lot of good indications for CSC, but I don't feel it. I will go to the
Cal thread and look around.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany