Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finds and Deals - Leather Jacket Edition

Moontanning

One of the Regulars
Came across this locally listed on Craigslist. Irvin Foster HH Long Police Jacket.

https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/for/d/philadelphia-police-highway-leather/7247860688.html

00B0B_dbaQ12k7bMz_0t20CI_600x450.jpg

jeo

One Too Many
I've been reading this thread like watching a new series on Netflix. I binged all 417 pages in the last couple of days and created a FDL account. The amount of knowledge and information shared here and on the rest of the forum is tremendous and so helpful for someone who has worn leather jackets for years but never really took the time to understand any of it besides what I thought looked good on me and what I could afford. Thanks to the pandemic, I took the opportunity to shrink my jacket size a little bit so I started searching for a new one that will actually fit correctly. As I've gotten older/wiser, I've shifted my priorities to buying quality items that will last and my research brought me here. It's great to find a whole community of people who are so genuinely helpful. I love reading all of the history and learning the lesser known bits of information and tying it all together to make much more informed buying decisions. So thank you all for that from the very start. And thanks to many of you, I now have multiple saved searches on platforms all over the place and plenty of items that I'm watching to get a sense for price/value/scarcity. I see how it will be easy to end up with more than one jacket out of this process and possibly a never ending circulation of jackets coming in and others going back out in a quest for something perfect. Even if perfection is temporary.

I certainly don't have much to contribute yet but as I search, I'll try to post interesting finds and hopefully none are terribly embarrassing. For my own search, I'm focusing mostly on cafe racers and simple symmetrical jackets with standard collars. I'm focusing on clean lines and timeless designs with a less is more approach. Although I do at least want hand warmer pockets. All that said, I do like things that aren't quite the same as what most other people are wearing whether that be due to the materials or craftsmanship or something else that makes it unique.

Welcome to the lounge, always great to see a fellow Philadelphian!

Good luck with your search and definitely post when you find something.

Jumper

A-List Customer
there was the more chestnut brown one last week someone was selling. It was a large and probably would have fit perfect. I dilly dallied too long and someone grabbed it. I think the XL will be too big, although I've thought about doing the wash and dryer technique. It worked really well on my Levis Buffalo, but I think this is going to be a bridge too far.

What's your weight and height for reference? I'm still thinking about the XL. I really want a brown trucker, but man it's hard to find one. That Aero in the classifieds is GD perfect, but size too small.
PM'd

Jumper

A-List Customer
Based on the glowing reviews I picked up a couple of these Gap Truckers in past 2 days. Here's another one in small (although measurements sound more like a M) for $48. If you're the right size, sounds like a no brainer. Although this has a different tag, so not sure if it's the same quality.

s-l1600.jpg

VTG GAP Brown Leather Trucker Style Men’s Jacket Size Small | eBay
Huh. Thought I'd seen them all, but this label is a new one on me, as is the (quilted!) lining. I was only familiar with two labels and two linings, both combinations being from 1999 and 2000. I'll wildly guess on no basis whatsoever that this is perhaps a newer iteration, but otherwise identical to the older ones, as far as I can see. The year/season of manufacture could be on the other side of that materials tag—I recall that's where I found the years on mine, but I can't be bothered at the moment to check and actually be sure of what I'm talking about. (Why start now?) Might need some conditioning, but that's as good a price as I've seen for one of these in a year or more.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
Based on the glowing reviews I picked up a couple of these Gap Truckers in past 2 days. Here's another one in small (although measurements sound more like a M) for $48. If you're the right size, sounds like a no brainer. Although this has a different tag, so not sure if it's the same quality.

s-l1600.jpg

VTG GAP Brown Leather Trucker Style Men’s Jacket Size Small | eBay

The one I have has the GAP Blue Jeans label and is made in India. This is a GAP label, made in China. I don't know what that means, this could be newer. I would not infer anything about the quality of this one from the GAP Blue Jeans ones.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto