Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finds and Deals - Leather Jacket Edition

Davisleathernyc

Familiar Face
In all seriousness, anyone watching this heavy early CHP jacket that can go with the fit should hit the BIN or at least submit an offer. You will be hard press to find a better deal on the internet. If it were larger the heavy hitter here would have snapped it up a long time ago
The belt along is worst half the buy in

is there something particularly special about this jacket/belt? I get that it's a cal but what makes it so valuable? Thanks

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
This overpriced jacket was listed as a Taubers, but no label pic. I have never seen a Taubers made with Deerskin! I did not believe the seller so ask about the label. Sure enough it is a Taubers!

The $750 bin is not going to happen. I just bought another Taubers that was an oddity, now this one. The oddity I bought was cheap and worth it. This one has a long way to fall in price.

I have seen early 50s Taubers that is a copy of a Buco police jacket. I don't recall the model number, has the lower pocket on the left side. They did not stay far from the motorcycle/police style of leather wear during the early years. This is 1960s.

link to ebay sale

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

Claybertrand

One Too Many
This overpriced jacket was listed as a Taubers, but no label pic. I have never seen a Taubers made with Deerskin! I did not believe the seller so ask about the label. Sure enough it is a Taubers!

The $750 bin is not going to happen. I just bought another Taubers that was an oddity, now this one. The oddity I bought was cheap and worth it. This one has a long way to fall in price.

I have seen early 50s Taubers that is a copy of a Buco police jacket. I don't recall the model number, has the lower pocket on the left side. They did not stay far from the motorcycle/police style of leather wear during the early years. This is 1960s.

link to ebay sale

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
If I only had this model's hair....... I'd rule the world!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

Kubatu

A-List Customer
is there something particularly special about this jacket/belt? I get that it's a cal but what makes it so valuable? Thanks

Are you asking what makes Cals valuable, or what makes this particular Cal valuable? Just to list a couple of things:
  • It's an unlabeled Star Glove label jacket, the immediate predecessor to the Cal Leather label. If I'm remembering correctly, they started with the Star Glove label in the 1920s and continued until the early 1950s. Being that old makes it valuable for some just on the vintage value itself.
  • It comes with a basketweave belt and a mouton collar, completing the set. Unless you are fortunate to have a leather expert nearby you, most vendors like JL will charge $150 to construct a collar. Add in $20 shipping both ways, and it already costs $190 to get a custom collar made. Belt costs vary and honestly, the belt doesn't look in great condition here, so its the collar that really sweetens the deal. Plus, these vintage collars typically are larger than what is made today.
  • It has some neat details like an action back that will give better movement, as well as a third chest zipper at the front. Only collectors will care about the zipper difference, honestly, but the added movement adds a lot more wear-ability to a jacket in my opinion.
  • The jacket is almost certainly going to be heavyweight. It looks substantial from the pictures provided. Not incredible as far as grain goes, but a very stiff hide regardless. I would expect the jacket to be able to stand up on its own.
  • The price was very low. $200 for a Cal this old is relatively cheap, and although the item didn't sell with a best offer, the sellers had enabled offers and probably would have been open to selling it lower.
So in short: True vintage, includes a collar worth at least $150, heavyweight, very sturdy construction, action back, and a very fair price.

short_lefty

New in Town
Can someone give me their ranking of vintage and/or leather jacket brands in terms of quality?

Is Cal, Taubers, and Branded garments beloved for both quality and style or moreso the latter? Or is it the vintage appeal?

Can someone give me their ranking of vintage and/or leather jacket brands in terms of quality?

Is Cal, Taubers, and Branded garments beloved for both quality and style or moreso the latter? Or is it the vintage appeal?

Cal and Taubers predate Branded by several decades so comparing them in vintage terms isn't really feasible. Both companies pretty much paved the road for all the later makers, such as Branded and while I personally would rate Branded very highly when it comes to quality, material, etc., style-wise, they pretty much exclusively produced either well established styles (such as the classic cross zip or the cafe racer) or made jackets by whichever spec's any certain PD commissioned.

Cal and Taubers, among others, independently developed several styles that became staple of motorcycle leather jacket design, which is why they're held in such a high regard.

Are you asking what makes Cals valuable, or what makes this particular Cal valuable? Just to list a couple of things:
  • It's an unlabeled Star Glove label jacket, the immediate predecessor to the Cal Leather label. If I'm remembering correctly, they started with the Star Glove label in the 1920s and continued until the early 1950s. Being that old makes it valuable for some just on the vintage value itself.
  • It comes with a basketweave belt and a mouton collar, completing the set. Unless you are fortunate to have a leather expert nearby you, most vendors like JL will charge $150 to construct a collar. Add in $20 shipping both ways, and it already costs $190 to get a custom collar made. Belt costs vary and honestly, the belt doesn't look in great condition here, so its the collar that really sweetens the deal. Plus, these vintage collars typically are larger than what is made today.
  • It has some neat details like an action back that will give better movement, as well as a third chest zipper at the front. Only collectors will care about the zipper difference, honestly, but the added movement adds a lot more wear-ability to a jacket in my opinion.
  • The jacket is almost certainly going to be heavyweight. It looks substantial from the pictures provided. Not incredible as far as grain goes, but a very stiff hide regardless. I would expect the jacket to be able to stand up on its own.
  • The price was very low. $200 for a Cal this old is relatively cheap, and although the item didn't sell with a best offer, the sellers had enabled offers and probably would have been open to selling it lower.
So in short: True vintage, includes a collar worth at least $150, heavyweight, very sturdy construction, action back, and a very fair price.

The chest pocket on a likely SG is what caught my eye. I already have a Cal I can’t wear, another would have been too much to bear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto