Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finds and Deals - Leather Jacket Edition

Allstate = Sears...but Buco made a couple of jackets for a couple of years.
E7A59104-4CEF-4FC1-9274-B2C859F2CE1A.jpeg

Last edited:
Good eye Terry.

That whole left side is not aligned..... on closer inspection it doesn't look like there was a terribly muffed Main Zip replacement to cause this. The era of the zip seems like it could be original. The stops seem to be equal distance from the pull and the remaining tracks on each side above the zipper in the collar close up appear to be the same distance. I can't see any obvious wonky stitching either.

You see this sometimes in old jackets but USUALLY you can tell why. Could this be different hide panels just aging differently??? Maybe one side got wet and there was nominal but discernable shrinkage??? As is often seen, the graining on the right side is much more pronounced----night and day compared to the left side.

I wonder---has anyone ever been able to fix this sort of situation??? Perhaps a cleaning and conditioning would soften both panels and maybe bring them closer to alignment???

This guy sewed it:
B2B3D5DC-F435-4E33-AEDD-35C43EA8180A.jpg

alish

One of the Regulars

alish

One of the Regulars
Seems like a pretty good price on this Hercules. Size Med. ( no measurements). Appears to be in good shape, with good knits. $212 BIN (free shipping from Japan). Link

Screen Shot 2021-08-21 at 8.00.41 PM.png

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Yep! As stated these Buco made relabeled jackets were sold through Sears and sold under this label.[/QUOTE

The first catalog shot of have of a Allstate is 1955 and another shot in 1957. I'm thinking they had Wool lined Buco made All states which would go back to late 40s. I would have to look at the Herc thread, I can't remember it all. The Allstate jackets were in the automotive section not men's wear. No doubt Bucco made this jacket.

32101_B018028-01147.jpg

1957 ALLSTATE.jpg

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
This Buco is rotting across the back yoke. I don't even like the looks of the D pocket shot. This jacket is Crisp, a Parts jacket to me. There are wearable Bucos out there. They are not rare. The Patchs are horrible, looks like an imitation of a "Biker" jacket.

I'm thinking Steerhide due to the deterioration of the leather. Buco Horsehide seems to hold up better than their Steerhide

The seller is not hiding the Rot, the cracking is mentioned a pictured. You can see it on the upper sleeves too. I don't even think there is much decent leather on that jacket. Zippers, Snaps, Belt loops, label, etc. for parts. not worthy of restoration.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:

Claybertrand

One Too Many

Chunk has been running an obscure leather jacket making operation at his parents' house in Astoria. Matuszak is the Chief Tailor there........ A main zipper repair will run you between 45 and 60 Baby Ruths.......depending on the thickness of the leather;)

And this girl wore it...
4128a21cb589178f3f3408b67413976e.jpg

It must have been, "Good enough for [her]!!!!! Yeah yeah yeah yeah yeahhhhhhhh............":p:p:p:p

Claybertrand

One Too Many
This is a a 50s "Bikers" jacket.

s-l1600.jpg

This is an imitation of a 50s "Bikers" jacket.

s-l1600.jpg

Pictures speak a thousand words. This is a prime example. @tmitchell59 knows more about leather jackets than any other several of us put together. But even to me having a little experience, seeing this post, the differences in these jackets is visibly stark. I point this out for the more inexperienced members of the Lounge who are starting to get into this hobby. I mean, we ALL are learning every day we live. But I think this post is a good example of what some of us might see, and what a pro like Terry sees.

To the untrained eye, these jackets are on the same level. But look at the two......REALLY look at the differences. Maybe its just the lighting but the First one looks like it was plucked from the closet of Leonard Smalls. Just looking at it you get the feeling EVIL is afoot.......the second one looks like a costume jacket. The chain on the second one looks like a deliberate JOKE---the same chain links as you'd find on your average pair of children's play handcuffs. It looks like some is just tryin too damn hard to look HARD.

But clearly the guy in Jacket #1 would STOMP the guy in Jacket #2 and leave with his Old Lady.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot