Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finds and Deals - Leather Jacket Edition

Ralph Edwards $175

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Ra...2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

ED9E5019-0100-4908-9631-8E18D6A6AB95.jpeg

jonbuilder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
'Problems' sounds a bit overstated, I don't think so.

What makes me pause with this seller is that he advertises every single jacket as being in 'supurb' 'excellent' or 'stunning' condition yet often times the jacket turns out to have busted seams, ripped lining or musty smell. His statements about condition are useless.
'Problems' sounds a bit overstated, I don't think so.

I have gotten lucky with this seller twice. I do agree with Marc comment about his descriptions best to ask before buying

Would almost buy it to have two.

But I don't get it; It's EXACTLY the same as my Sears - What's the story with this label/brand?

I know they made many flight jackets and officially became RE in the 50s. Named after one of the owners. TM has owned one or two. Ive never handled. I think they were a maker, at least started off as one. Midwest I think. Not west coast. All I got. I think that price is on point for their jackets though. From what I’ve seen.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Couple non-leather pieces. First up a wooly with a label that looks similar to Sears (Hercules), though slightly different font (paging @tmitchell59). BIN $75 OBO:
View attachment 371320 View attachment 371321
https://www.ebay.com/itm/294480830783

And a Wards Windward field type jacket with paperclip pull Crown zip(s). BIN $99:
View attachment 371322 View attachment 371323
https://www.ebay.com/itm/274988140924

Thanks for thinking of me! The Outerwear label looks like a purposeful effort to looks like the Sears Hercules label. Competition! Nice looking wool jacket at a affordable cost. Probably late 50s/early 60s.

The Windward is a beast, looks to be fairly large. There are so many great pieces of outerwear on the used market.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Would almost buy it to have two.

But I don't get it; It's EXACTLY the same as my Sears - What's the story with this label/brand?

Ralph Edwards was in Cape Giradeau Missouri. Perhaps they made those style of jackets for Sears? Perhaps they used the design for their own jackets? Edwards made a variety of consumer outerwear. I don't see many of their jackets in MC style.

Claybertrand

One Too Many
Ralph Edwards was in Cape Giradeau Missouri. Perhaps they made those style of jackets for Sears? Perhaps they used the design for their own jackets? Edwards made a variety of consumer outerwear. I don't see many of their jackets in MC style.

@tmitchell59 is of course, correct! Specifically, Ralph Edwards used to be Cagleco Sportswear--an awkward acronym of Cape Girardeau Leather Coat Co. from Cape Girardeau, Missouri. They had numerous G-1 contracts in the 1950s, before changing their name to Ralph Edwards in 1957, and contracting for the Navy through the 1980.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
@tmitchell59 is of course, correct! Specifically, Ralph Edwards used to be Cagleco Sportswear--an awkward acronym of Cape Girardeau Leather Coat Co. from Cape Girardeau, Missouri. They had numerous G-1 contracts in the 1950s, before changing their name to Ralph Edwards in 1957, and contracting for the Navy through the 1980.

I did not know all this, someone else above pointed out the connection, changing their name in 1957. I did own a Buco style Police Jacket. I just don't seem them making motorcycle jacket.

A relationship with Sears is worth exploring.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko