Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finds and Deals - Leather Jacket Edition

Jumper

A-List Customer
I'll give you a different perspective...

Last week I sold my Eastman A1 on Vinted. I didn't include measurements in my listing and that was on purpose.

I think that to the uninformed buyer measurements can only cause confusion. They might compare them to one of their textile jackets or maybe even to a leather jacket they own but chances are great that those measurements will differ from the A1's measurements which might lead them to conclude that the jacket will not fit them.

Yet when I only list the tagged size they are more likely to take their chances.

It might be hard to believe but I've sold numerous jackets without having stated the actual measurements and without the buyer having asked for them.

That may very well be so but the premise with which all of my listings are made is whether they contains every bit of information that the buyer should need, rather than what they shouldn't, as after all, the numbers of the correctly measured item do not constitute a misrepresentation eiusdem.

The fact of the matter is, provided that the included measurements are truthful, the buyer will have received exactly what they paid for, id est, what was sold. Buyers misinterpretation of what is otherwise correct information regarding an item cannot and should not be my fault as ways in which any given listing might be misinterpreted are indeed infinite.

Ergo, whist, I in universum, understand your point, I do believe that statistically speaking, more information does constitute a better listing.

After all, truth by definition cannot be wrong.

I miss SF.

Case in point... Tagged a 44, measures like a small 42. Seller saved his time and mine by including photos of measurements. Why I'm firmly in the "just put the measurements in the listing and be done with it" camp. That being said...

I went on a similar-to-Clay's mini-rant on the "measurements upon request" issue a while back in this very thread, and a kind and gentle soul here pointed out to me that maybe a seller doesn't have the confidence or experience to make measurements. (Think of the nutso "measurements" we've all seen too often, like the loose, wavy measuring tape laid diagonally-ish, randomly somewhere across the front of an unzipped and partly-folded jacket.) And not everyone wants the same measurements in the same way, so I can see a seller just waiting for specifics in a request for measurements. And if they've got the time to field a bunch of requests, then, whatever.

Marc's point about the jackets he's sold is very surprising to me, but also intriguing and eye-opening. Obviously I'm going to listen to what the man says about selling jackets.

Something else that maybe goes along with what he's saying about measurements confusing some buyers is that there are also buyers who simply ignore any detailed measurements listed. I once sold an old, shorter-body-length, and washed who knows how many times (i.e., with some shrinkage) Levi's denim trucker. I pointed out these things and included several detailed measurements, which the buyer completely ignored, instead going by the "Medium" on the tag, which he decided should be his size, because while he ignored all the measurements for that specific jacket I included in the listing, he did go to the Levi's website and found one style of their bazillion denim jackets currently for sale and looked at the measurements Levi's provided for their different sizes. He was surprised when he got the jacket that it didn't fit him.

But the argument (not Marc's) that measurements are somehow intrinsically useless or a waste of time is beyond me. See the Sport Togs above.

Last edited:

Tec

New in Town

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
Very nice, thanks for posting it here! Ended up buying it late Friday night, received it a few hours ago. It's basically a grail jacket that I didn't even know was on my grail list. Superb fit and quality. The fit is essentially custom for me, really lucked out and zero tailoring needed.
If @JMax got a beer for every jacket he teed up in this thread for us lucky bastards to buy, he'd be drunk all the time.

Very nice, thanks for posting it here! Ended up buying it late Friday night, received it a few hours ago. It's basically a grail jacket that I didn't even know was on my grail list. Superb fit and quality. The fit is essentially custom for me, really lucked out and zero tailoring needed.

Never handled one, but it sure looked pretty. Glad it all worked out .

Reactions: Tec
Taubers CR

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1551706512...CJi9omFSVa&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
47AA96D2-E5D1-43A0-9868-5F75833EDCFE.jpeg

dmoser1978

One of the Regulars
Not sure if this is the right thread, but is there a way to authenticate an old field jacket?
This guy claims to have a NOS M51 field jacket, made in 1958.

It may be what the guy says, but the tags look too nice and the zipper doesn't look quite right to me, but I'm not an expert.

Attachments

• NOS field jacket tag 2.jpg
    NOS field jacket tag 2.jpg
    487 KB · Views: 47
  • NOS field jacket tag.jpg
    NOS field jacket tag.jpg
    602.5 KB · Views: 46
  • NOS field jacket zipper.jpg
    NOS field jacket zipper.jpg
    673.2 KB · Views: 52
  • NOS Field Jacket.jpg
    NOS Field Jacket.jpg
    314.4 KB · Views: 53

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
Not sure if this is the right thread, but is there a way to authenticate an old field jacket?
This guy claims to have a NOS M51 field jacket, made in 1958.

It may be what the guy says, but the tags look too nice and the zipper doesn't look quite right to me, but I'm not an expert.

Can't say about labels, but zipper looks legit 1950s. I would ask seller for good zipper pics, closeups, front and back. We have good zipper experts here, @photo2u and others.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
Trojan, L, overall okay condition, collar worn, $1600

Same seller, super-cool tiny Lewis Leathers set (jacket and pants), jacket 34, $200.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ