Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finds and Deals - Leather Jacket Edition

lina

Practically Family
This looks like a pretty nice police jacket, in a larger size, made by "Metropolitan" in Detroit -- I don't know anything about the company.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1658479580...ehsYdvrM3h+vTCM7+JkrR3VPoC|tkp:Bk9SR-i004zIYQ

Metropolitan police jacket.jpg

This is impressive. Especially like the tough looking inside pocket. Just wish my size 40 days were not behind me.

Underrated maker. I briefly had this CR but with collar. Loved it, but damn it was small in the chest and especially the shoulders. It was a 44 or 46. 48s are rare and then the sleeves are too long for me, at least the ones I have seen. I still have hope.

Hayes Nash

Familiar Face
Could be a good project. Collared model A. Needs a bit of everything. I’m half tempted to buy and dye it. Save me from myself $42 white label Vanson:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2559713259...r_AYQu0TLS&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Thanks for putting this up Tony, I need a little project right now so I decided to give this one a shot. I will appreciate any ideas and recommendations on cleaning it up and breathing some life back into the leather once it comes in as I haven't done this before. I like the idea of having a natural colored leather work/beater jacket that I can wear in the workshop and working around the property and not worry about marking or scarring it up. We'll see.

Nice!! Post up some info when it arrives! My thought was going to be to soak and condition, then strip and dye. Personally I don’t care much for yellow or natural leathers. It’s not that I don’t like the way they look but my newborn pig skin tone won’t support it.

Hayes Nash

Familiar Face
Nice!! Post up some info when it arrives! My thought was going to be to soak and condition, then strip and dye. Personally I don’t care much for yellow or natural leathers. It’s not that I don’t like the way they look but my newborn pig skin tone won’t support it.
I would appreciate hearing some detail on your process and products you would recommend for the soak and condition. I was thinking I'd check the fit and then go with a mild detergent/baking soda wash cycle and then lay it outside to dry in the shade and get the wrinkles out and re-shape the collar, then figure out what to treat the leather with after it dries. I prefer more of a waxy vs oily finish, but I have no idea how to achieve that waxy finish like Thedi as an example uses. That collar looks like it may need some additional cleaning and attention to remove the oils/stains there and re-shape it, how would you guys approach that? I'm not interested in trying to make this thing look new by any means, but would like to try to achieve something like the attached leather finish (from Thedi)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-02-11 at 9.57.44 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-02-11 at 9.57.44 AM.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 36
I would appreciate hearing some detail on your process and products you would recommend for the soak and condition. I was thinking I'd check the fit and then go with a mild detergent/baking soda wash cycle and then lay it outside to dry in the shade and get the wrinkles out and re-shape the collar, then figure out what to treat the leather with after it dries. I prefer more of a waxy vs oily finish, but I have no idea how to achieve that waxy finish like Thedi as an example uses. That collar looks like it may need some additional cleaning and attention to remove the oils/stains there and re-shape it, how would you guys approach that? I'm not interested in trying to make this thing look new by any means, but would like to try to achieve something like the attached leather finish (from Thedi)
I’d say a lukewarm tub soak with a bit of dish soap or wool it’s to clean it. I like
Obernaufs oil to hydrate after dry then I’d seal her up with Urad for a glossy finish. You can buff the Urad down to elongate some shine or find a good wax based sealer of your choosing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ