Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fine Creek Leather

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Congrats, seems to fit perfectly and looks good on you. I just wonder why the 2mm (basically 5oz) horsehide is such a light weight compared to 3-4oz horsehides from Horween or Lost Worlds. Perhaps because of the vegetable tanning method?

Having been to Rivet and Hide and handled a few of these jackets i don't think they actually are 2mm/5oz.
I mean anyone who knows about leather jackets can look at the seams and tell you they are not thick enough to be 2mm. And all it takes is having it in hand 2 seconds to tell it isn't 2mm.
IMO this is a "thicker is better" marketting ting.

Im not saying they are not nice jackets or not worth the money, i was very impressed by the quality, but no way is that leather 2mm/5oz.

Robbie79

Call Me a Cab
Having been to Rivet and Hide and handled a few of these jackets i don't think they actually are 2mm/5oz.
I mean anyone who knows about leather jackets can look at the seams and tell you they are not thick enough to be 2mm. And all it takes is having it in hand 2 seconds to tell it isn't 2mm.
IMO this is a "thicker is better" marketting ting.

Im not saying they are not nice jackets or not worth the money, i was very impressed by the quality, but no way is that leather 2mm/5oz.
Yes, Carlos, I got the same feeling that it's definitely not 2mm thick when I tried on this jacket at Stuff store in Dusseldorf end of December. That's why I wondered how they manage to get a 2mm thick HH so light ;-) It feels like 1mm HH to me.

Lebowski

This guy has numerous complaints from sellers.
It feels like 1mm HH to me.
Which is quite thick leather option too, HH leather jackets made of 1mm leather in a matter of leather thickness usually feel more on a heavy side than midweight/lightweight.

Mich486

One Too Many
There are 2 versions of this jacket one is advertised as 1.3mm and the other as 2mm. Just saying maybe you handled the 1.3mm version?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Which is quite thick leather option too, HH leather jackets made of 1mm leather in a matter of leather thickness usually feel more on a heavy side than midweight/lightweight.

Depnds on how you classify it I guess... Not sure what is considered what.

Robbie79

Call Me a Cab
There are 2 versions of this jacket one is advertised as 1.3mm and the other as 2mm. Just saying maybe you handled the 1.3mm version?

No, definitely the 2mm version as Stuff in Dusseldorf only got the 2mm version....I asked him and he confirmed. The leather itself looks thicker as the weight is, that's why I'm confused as I've handled so many different HH (thin and thick) and thickness/look of the leather usually is always in relation with the weight.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Yes, Carlos, I got the same feeling that it's definitely not 2mm thick when I tried on this jacket at Stuff store in Dusseldorf end of December. That's why I wondered how they manage to get a 2mm thick HH so light ;-) It feels like 1mm HH to me.

They had both when i went in.
To me the 2mm felt like 3.0-3.5oz so 1.2-1.4mm and the 1.3mm felt much thinner, like maybe around 1mm.

I just got one of these thickness micrometers, going to try measuring the thickness of all my leathers, see what is going on...

rKgvl49.jpg

red devil

To me the 2mm felt like 3.0-3.5oz so 1.2-1.4mm and the 1.3mm felt much thinner, like maybe around 1mm.

I just got one of these thickness micrometers, going to try measuring the thickness of all my leathers, see what is going on...

rKgvl49.jpg

This is what the professionals in tanneries and some makers use as well. Maybe I should get one as well :)

Edit: you might be better off with an analogue one

Robbie79

Call Me a Cab

rKgvl49.jpg
Good idea, Carlos! I need one, too to prove what the jacket makers deliver to us.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
This is what the professionals in tanneries and some makers use as well. Maybe I should get one as well :)

Edit: you might be better off with an analogue one

In my experience when buying cheap calipers, digital is usually more precise.
Its worth going analogue if you are ready to spend more, a good analogue caliper like that one is worth more than a hundred dollars.

These are pretty cool too, for the nerd on the go:

https://sixelementsworkshop.com/products/leather-thickness-gauge-keychain

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
from that sleeve crease I believe it is 2mm, but from the video it looks very supple, so probably not that hard to wear, but such a long body tho, when being worn the sleeve and the hem is almost the same length.

Coke20x

New in Town
from that sleeve crease I believe it is 2mm, but from the video it looks very supple, so probably not that hard to wear, but such a long body tho, when being worn the sleeve and the hem is almost the same length.

I've only so far seen the 2mm thick jackets being sold with the cut epaulets and cut belt.

Yeah, they're like 27" back.

Yesterday I've went through just about every heritage clothes store I could think of, wanted to see if there's anything new and exciting going on (not a whole lot) and one thing I've noticed is just about every style of jacket, be it leather or jean jacket or otherwise, has been stretched out to the absolute extreme. Like, most trucker jackets and x zips seem to be 26" - 27" long which is... Madness. You even got Mister Freedom now making jackets at 26" back and they were the last ones keeping the trucker extremely short.

Schott 503 sz. 42 is 26.5" long. Flat Head CR is 27" long in a size 42, with the D-pocket being 26", same size. Nine Lives x zip is a freaking 27" back, too, size 42.
These are shirt lengths, not jackets. Car coats. Madness.

Blackadder

Yeah, they're like 27" back.

Yesterday I've went through just about every heritage clothes store I could think of, wanted to see if there's anything new and exciting going on (not a whole lot) and one thing I've noticed is just about every style of jacket, be it leather or jean jacket or otherwise, has been stretched out to the absolute extreme. Like, most trucker jackets and x zips seem to be 26" - 27" long which is... Madness. You even got Mister Freedom now making jackets at 26" back and they were the last ones keeping the trucker extremely short.

Schott 503 sz. 42 is 26.5" long. Flat Head CR is 27" long in a size 42, with the D-pocket being 26", same size. Nine Lives x zip is a freaking 27" back, too, size 42.
These are shirt lengths, not jackets. Car coats. Madness.
I thought you guys go for the long truckers with the side pockets.

Blackadder

Short with side pockets. My IH is 24" long, has side pockets. My Levi's is 23.5", same. They don't need to touch the length to add side pockets.
I think they do when I compared my repro 60s LVC truckers without the side pocket to my 90s Levi's with side pocket. But to you it may not make much difference from 23 to 24 compared to 24 to 26. To me at 5'6 from 23 to 24 is very obvious.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichaelSturm