Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fine Creek Leather

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here
They have done very well with their marketing, you might notice that they are more active than others. They have also been very prolific in the models they have churned out, have promoted mainly their mismatched panels through optimised photography. Add to this the bold claims such as "we use 2mm leather" which was clearly the equivalent of a real world click-bait, that drew a lot of publicity and you have a cocktail that works.

They seem to have studied what we enthusiasts enjoy and implemented it in their communication, but apparently not in their product.

Ayeteael

A-List Customer
I think FCL makes a fine product but I wouldn’t go so far as to say they’re the best in Japanese leather, mostly bc I’ve not handled any other Japanese brands. Their price seems to be in line with the other Japanese makers. I think FCL is popular bc (1) of their great social media and (2) their accounts with US retailers like Self Edge, Buttersotch LB, Franklin & Poe, etc. If freewheelers was sold by US merchants, I’ve no doubt they’d catch fire on Styfo and elsewhere.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
MAH00095.MP4_20201217_181005.686.jpg

Blackadder

FCL came from High Large therefore they started with the leather denim jackets. Even those were off though not the patterns, just the sizing (need to order one to two sizes bigger). Ordering two sizes over makes the jacket a bit too long for short guy like me but that looks nice on tmitchell59.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Freewheelers patterns look great on just about everyone is a bold statement dude. They are pretty peculiar too with super long sleeves, wide shoulders and tiny chests. I mean I love Freewheelers jackets but... not sure they really are for everyone.

Edit: Just to be clear, I’m not saying FC are the best and probably will never own one due to the long body which I don’t like but they look pretty good to me (and to many others).
I'm not saying they WOULD look good on everyone. I am saying they look good on just about everyone that I have seen wear them (and I did mention that sleeves were sometimes too long). Obviously not every pattern fits every person. I am just saying that from my screen, Freewheelers patterns just look better than Fine Creek based on the many fit pics I have seen of both.

It would be funny if they'd say that's a product characteristic. Cut off epaulets, cut off belts, fading color, torn seams. :p
View attachment 295248

Bad thing to reproduce considering this is a Vanson knock-off & thus such a thing should not ever happen in a million years. XD

But seriously, this can sadly happen on any jacket, to be fair. It shouldn't on a $2000 plus jacket but it can. If it's just the thread, owner ought to easily repair it.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
Ok. After nearly two years since I had posted photos of the size 44 Leon lightweight, I'm back on here with the size higher.

From the previous fitting, many advised that the arm sleeve was too short, which I had agreed with. Shortly afterwards, I returned the jacket and ended up placing a pre-order for a size 46. Due to delays and covid- 19 and whatever other reasons, it is only know that I had received the new order 20 months later.

When I had received the jacket I was ecstatic however, since trying on I am somewhat uncertain as to how well its fitting and as to what I should expect with sizing and fit after it gets broken in. All of the measurements from 44 to 46 are slightly increased as they needed to be however, i was really surprised that the pit-to-pit sizing was not much wider. My measurement showed 22.25 across when I had been expecting something closer to 23 inches.

Is this jacket suppose to stretch and mold to my chest? Would it look and fit better down the road? OR should I return it whilst I still can. Even considering the chest size, just seems that the arms holes across the chest are closer together than I am used to for shirts... but perhaps this is intended to created the puckering effect that these FCL jackets are known for.

It's not an issue for me to lose 10 pounds, which would probably help would fit, but don't want to end up keeping something which I'd have to resell down the road if it didn't work out.

Feedback from the community would be very much appreciated.

Sorry that the pictures aren't that great. View attachment 294571 View attachment 294572 View attachment 294573 View attachment 294574 View attachment 294575 View attachment 294576 View attachment 294577
I think this looks like a blazer with MC jacket detailing just for look. the body is long like it is designed for untucked shirt, sleeve is short and the cuff is wide even when fully zipped, the belt loop seems flimsy and just there for show, if you plan to wear it open with long sleeve shirt jutting out like blazer but with MC jacket zip and detailing just for edginess it might work in fashion sense but no way this fit is proper for you if you want it as a jacket to be zipped up and sleeve cuff sealing when fully zipped like how jacket suppose to look and function.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
It would be funny if they'd say that's a product characteristic. Cut off epaulets, cut off belts, fading color, torn seams. :p
View attachment 295248

A few years back the same thing happened to the rear shoulder of a Himel canuck, the entire armhole seam ripped in the back, a good 20 cm tear.
The owner put the jacket for sale on ebay with a slight discount saying somehtign like "for repair", it was pretty funny in a tragic way.
Not sure if the pics are still on the forum.

indigoeagle

One of the Regulars
Ok. After nearly two years since I had posted photos of the size 44 Leon lightweight, I'm back on here with the size higher.

It's not an issue for me to lose 10 pounds, which would probably help would fit, but don't want to end up keeping something which I'd have to resell down the road if it didn't work out.

Feedback from the community would be very much appreciated.

It doesn't look too bad
But like many had said, the sleeves look quite short.
And if you close it, it looks snug.

What is your size/weight and what are the measurements of the jacket?
I normally wear a 42 and got a 44 in the HLL and it's still snug.

And how do you like the leather?
While many have the thicker Leon version, you have the thinner with 1.3mm.
Does it have a lot of character?
This is Himeji horsehide, right?
Apparently that's what FCL mostly uses, but I think, some with some recent jackets they use Shinki.

Superfluous

Interesting discourse.

In my experience, FW leather jacket patterns are terrible . . . at least for me. The chest is too narrow, the shoulders too broad, and the sleeves too short. Hence the reason why I do not own any FW leather. FW non-leather jackets are a different story -- much better patterns for me and I own three.

FCL is consistently a lightning rod on TFL. However, most have not handled any FCL first hand. I have handled several different FCL jackets. The manufacturing and leather quality is first rate. FCL often uses Shinki HH, but with their unique, specified finishing. The stitching is very clean. I agree that the cut, raw-edge epaulet is strange and they should have made the identical jacket with the entire epaulet removed and no raw edge. That said, one odd design element does not render the entire company substandard.

Unfortunately, most of the FCL jackets that I have tried on have been too long. Yes @Carlos840 , you read that correctly -- even I, who do not favor short jackets, consider certain jackets too long. If the FCL jackets were a tad shorter, I would probably own several. I tried to purchase a FCL Tyler, which appeared to be a better length, but it was lost by DHL during shipping (I am currently in the middle of a PayPal dispute seeking a refund). I might buy another FCL Tyler from Japan after my PayPal dispute is resolved.

Of course FCL has a greater number of models as compared to FW or RMC. FW and RMC are clothing manufacturers that also make jackets (moreover, FW rarely if ever introduces a new leather jacket model; rather, FW simply re-releases models from prior years). In contrast, FCL only make leather jackets. Therefore, FCL must offer a broader range of jackets and continually introduce new models. FCL's range of models pales in comparison to other companies, but no one ever criticizes Aero or Schott for offering too many different models.

Some criticize FCL as not being "the best." Of course they aren't the best. Who suggested that FCL is the best, or any better than other well made leather jackets? I have not read such comments here on TFL. From my perspective, FCL makes a good product, but not one superior to other well made leather jackets.

FCL starts with classic designs, then adds their individual tweaks to the patterns and leather finish. This approach results in a unique product and something different from the often substantially similar jackets offered by other manufacturers. FCL's patterns and leather finish are not for everyone. That said, its good to have variety and I applaud FCL for trying something different and broadening our options.

Interesting discourse.

In my experience, FW leather jacket patterns are terrible . . . at least for me. The chest is too narrow, the shoulders too broad, and the sleeves too short. Hence the reason why I do not own any FW leather. FW non-leather jackets are a different story -- much better patterns for me and I own three.

FCL is consistently a lightning rod on TFL. However, most have not handled any FCL first hand. I have handled several different FCL jackets. The manufacturing and leather quality is first rate. FCL often uses Shinki HH, but with their unique, specified finishing. The stitching is very clean. I agree that the cut, raw-edge epaulet is strange and they should have made the identical jacket with the entire epaulet removed and no raw edge. That said, one odd design element does not render the entire company substandard.

Unfortunately, most of the FCL jackets that I have tried on have been too long. Yes @Carlos840 , you read that correctly -- even I, who do not favor short jackets, consider certain jackets too long. If the FCL jackets were a tad shorter, I would probably own several. I tried to purchase a FCL Tyler, which appeared to be a better length, but it was lost by DHL during shipping (I am currently in the middle of a PayPal dispute seeking a refund). I might buy another FCL Tyler from Japan after my PayPal dispute is resolved.

Of course FCL has a greater number of models as compared to FW or RMC. FW and RMC are clothing manufacturers that also make jackets (moreover, FW rarely if ever introduces a new leather jacket model; rather, FW simply re-releases models from prior years). In contrast, FCL only make leather jackets. Therefore, FCL must offer a broader range of jackets and continually introduce new models. FCL's range of models pales in comparison to other companies, but no one ever criticizes Aero or Schott for offering too many different models.

Some criticize FCL as not being "the best." Of course they aren't the best. Who suggested that FCL is the best, or any better than other well made leather jackets? I have not read such comments here on TFL. From my perspective, FCL makes a good product, but not one superior to other well made leather jackets.

FCL starts with classic designs, then adds their individual tweaks to the patterns and leather finish. This approach results in a unique product and something different from the often substantially similar jackets offered by other manufacturers. FCL's patterns and leather finish are not for everyone. That said, its good to have variety and I applaud FCL for trying something different and broadening our options.

That's very well said and I agree 100 per cent. I don't get the best deal, either but we've all been through that one times too many. FLC makes a really cool jacket, one that fades and creases with the best of 'em even though it may turn out to be a bit more artificial than even I'd want and I'm all down with those 80's fakeass faded jackets & they certainly are more popular than any other high-end Japanese maker, sans RMC. Most people on Styleforum settled on FCL and judging from the photos they post, those guys actually have seen it all.

indigoeagle

One of the Regulars
Has anyone got experience with Y'2 Leathers and Double Helix?
Both make similar jackets like FCL like the denim leather ones, the car coat as well as single and double rider jackets and many more.

Mark R

New in Town
The more I look at the cost v quality of many jacket makers Aero look to be very good value. Ok they are not cheap for the average individual but they look incredibly well made using quality materials. I don’t see many people having complaints about their jackets. Quite proud they are Scottish.

El Marro

@Coke20x i’m late to the party but I think I agree with everything that has been said so far about your jacket. It doesn’t look bad to me but before I even got to the pictures I read the tone of your post and it was clear that you had expected something different in the fit of this jacket and were trying to decide whether you could learn to like it or not. In my experience the answer to that question never becomes “yes, now all of a sudden I like it!” First impressions of a leather jacket should be overwhelmingly positive. If not, then this is not the jacket for you.
You could probably lose weight pretty easily but you may also gain weight easily and I don’t think losing weight for a leather jacket makes much sense to me. On a sidenote, I always find it amusing that some Japanese makers make these jackets with pit to pit measurement smaller than the labeled chest size. To my mind a size 46 should have 2-4 inches of room and therefore a P2P of at least 24”.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner