Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

fireworks and pets

lostinthe50's

New in Town
Dog Fine, My child now that another story.....lol

We actually took our dog to the fireworks last night and she did fine (she is a snoodle), but my son on the other hand had my hands covering his ears the whole time...if he heard one he would jump in my lap grab my hands and put them over his ears. It was cute but hot as heck.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Fireworks and the vacuum cleaner don't bother my dog at all. I have to tell her to move when I'm vacuuming.

I don't know anything about her previous owners, but I wonder if she had some lessons or experience as a hunting dog. She loves to flush out birds--I have to dig my heels in to keep her from going after them.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Dav said:
The dog in my avatar (Frank) has no fear of fireworks whatsoever.
Hiccups on the other hand reduce him to a quivering jelly.
Strange dog

His own hiccups or someone else's?

Press on his (or your) head just above the forehead. It usually stops hiccups.

barracudamagoo

New in Town
The dog sat on the tailgate and watched the fireworks with us. The first year when she was a pup, she was a little startled by them; but every year since she has no prolbem. Heck, I think she likes them!

Kishtu

Practically Family
We haven't got fireworks in deepest darkest Cornwall but what we have got is a bird scarer air cannon that is going off with weird randomness starting at 7am and going through till about 10.

Cats generally unimpressed - Von Tribbling occasionally opens an eye when there's a very long pause between shots but the timid Mattycat is totally unfazed.

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
Our two dogs...

...reacted very differently. Our seven-year-old dachshund ran and hid under the shed. I took us a while to find her in the dark. Our 10-week-old puppy could have cared less.

Dav

One Too Many
Paisley said:
His own hiccups or someone else's?

Press on his (or your) head just above the forehead. It usually stops hiccups.
Its my hiccups I'm afraid, I tend to be a bit grumpy when I keep hiccuping and the dog has picked up on it, he thought I was cursing at him, now at the first sound of a hiccup from anyone he's gone.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Puzzicato said:
If that works I will love you forever. I get hiccups quite often and they usually go on for over an hour!

:eek:fftopic:
And if that doesn't help - try to remember what you had for supper two nights ago. No joke - it works!

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Spitfire said:
:eek:fftopic:
And if that doesn't help - try to remember what you had for supper two nights ago. No joke - it works!

Does it work because it is a feat of memory that concentrates your mind? In which case, I'd need to come up with something else. I have an exceptional memory for meals!

Miss Scarlet

One of the Regulars
This really is totally off topic, but once I had hiccups and I forced myself to believe hiccups didn't exist at all. They stopped within about 30 seconds. The power of the mind.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou