Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First Aero leather jacket - Advise needed

Desmond007

Familiar Face
I'm getting more and more sure that i would like a tumbled jacket
to get that distressed look to begin with.
If it's gonna be steer or horse, i don't know.

What are pros and cons, when it comes to these two leathers?

I know now, that i don't like a way too shiny look. A little is ok, to get
that contrast in the lights and shadows.
If i had to choose. Grainy over shiny, but a 50/50 mix would be great.

SpeedRcrX

One Too Many
How is the color on a Sheene Vicenza Black after years of wearing it?

This design is not that old to see it after years of wear.

But to give some ideas on how the jacket broke in, here my Sheene after only three months of daily wear.

7514dbeb7b94da0eff925d1167923df7.jpg

Desmond007

Familiar Face
This design is not that old to see it after years of wear.

But to give some ideas on how the jacket broke in, here my Sheene after only three months of daily wear.

7514dbeb7b94da0eff925d1167923df7.jpg
It looks great :D I would like a bit more grain (tumbled) though

Jägernaut

Practically Family
Heres a cxl steerhid that thurston bros is currently selling on ebay. This type of grain is what i like about cxl steer.
s-l1600.jpg

eugenesque

One of the Regulars
I'm getting more and more sure that i would like a tumbled jacket
to get that distressed look to begin with.
If it's gonna be steer or horse, i don't know.

What are pros and cons, when it comes to these two leathers?

I know now, that i don't like a way too shiny look. A little is ok, to get
that contrast in the lights and shadows.
If i had to choose. Grainy over shiny, but a 50/50 mix would be great.

There has been some discussion in the lounge on the difference between steerhide and horsehide.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/why-is-horsehide-better-than-steerhide.31337/

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/horsehide-vs-steerhide.65637/

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/thre...ference-between-cow-goat-and-horsehide.62822/

Desmond007

Familiar Face
Jaegernaut, Sloan1874, SpeedRcrX, you all have some awsome looking jackets.
I i had to choose a favorite, in terms of my kind of wear/grain, I think it must be
the Vicenza black (which is brown, right?). Did you buy the tumbled version SpeedRcrX?

Could be great to see some more tumbled steelhide and horse jackets.

Is it just me, or is the contrast between light/shadows, more pronounced in cherry/brown jackets, compared to black ones?

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Hi guys

I just stumpled upon Aero leather jackets in Scotland, and I think i'm in love.
I recon this is the place where I will buy my very first leather jacket, but I really
need some advise regarding what kind of leather to choose.

I'm very visual, so my first thought was heavy horse hide, since it seems that this
kind of leather gives the best looking patina/wear.
The downside, it seems from following other posts inhere on heavy horse hide, is the weight and they are tough to break in. I don't mind waiting for the perfect patina, but I don't like to feel uncomfortable for months.
A bit of weight is ok, just nothing too extreme. 5 pounds max i think.

Original Hercules og the Wayfarer would be my choise of jacket.

The jacket will be used mostly in the spring, summer and fall. I have no idea how leather jackets fells like in different climates, so maybe you can enlighten me here. I live in Denmark, Scandinavia.

The two pictures attatched show what kind of wear/look i'm after. Fourtunately i'm an outdoor kinnda guy, so getting this kind of wear, fairly quickly, seems plausible.

Is my only option heavy horse, or can goat give this kind of patina?
Patina has nothing to do with the weight of the leather. It has to do with the surface of the leather, and how it wears and ages. The weight of the leather will affect how long it takes to break ib, and how it will drape over the body as it does so. If you want good patina, start with great leather, and wear it a lot. Same with breaking in. You can go with a mid weight, if you want. I personally like the way a heavier jacket feels, but a lot of people who handle mine to hang them up often express surprise at how heavy it is. I don't think you notice the weight much when it's good and broken in, and you're wearing it. But you will notice how it seems to hug you, and how it feels almost like you're wearing armor, and to me that is a very reassuring feeling.

By the way, try not to say patina all the time. It's better appreciated than spoken of. It seems prissy to go on about how pretty the surface wear on a jacket is, when the jacket is supposed to be nigh indestructible. We all know they're pretty; not necessary to go overboard calling attention to it. And don't try to get patina other than the honest way, by earning it through wear.

Desmond007

Familiar Face
Just found this... Aero Sheene Black Vicenza FQHH.
The color on this one is...perfect. Right under the collar,
where the colors change between black, brown, white, grey
and almost some green. THATS the look i'm after.
It's almost like the patina on copper.

This is gonna be an expensive hoppy, i can tell...:D

Attachments

• Aero Sheene Black Vicenza FQHH front.JPG
    Aero Sheene Black Vicenza FQHH front.JPG
    641.8 KB · Views: 2,901

Desmond007

Familiar Face
Patina has nothing to do with the weight of the leather. It has to do with the surface of the leather, and how it wears and ages. The weight of the leather will affect how long it takes to break ib, and how it will drape over the body as it does so. If you want good patina, start with great leather, and wear it a lot. Same with breaking in. You can go with a mid weight, if you want. I personally like the way a heavier jacket feels, but a lot of people who handle mine to hang them up often express surprise at how heavy it is. I don't think you notice the weight much when it's good and broken in, and you're wearing it. But you will notice how it seems to hug you, and how it feels almost like you're wearing armor, and to me that is a very reassuring feeling.

By the way, try not to say patina all the time. It's better appreciated than spoken of. It seems prissy to go on about how pretty the surface wear on a jacket is, when the jacket is supposed to be nigh indestructible. We all know they're pretty; not necessary to go overboard calling attention to it. And don't try to get patina other than the honest way, by earning it through wear.

Like wearing an armor...I like the sound of that.

As i said before, i dont mind spending the time, waiting
for the jacket to get the right wear, i just don't like feeling uncomfortable for months wearing it.

Desmond007

Familiar Face
If I could get this kind of wear, and grain I would die a happy man

Attachments

• Aero Black Vicenza.jpg
    Aero Black Vicenza.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 2,580

BobJ

Practically Family

That's just light, reflected off the shiny surface of BLACK. If you want different hues of color, brown can have much more than black.

Desmond007

Familiar Face

That's just light, reflected off the shiny surface of BLACK. If you want different hues of color, brown can have much more than black.

And cherry as well, right?

Desmond007

Familiar Face
By

By the way. How are you to tell what i can or can't say?

And cherry as well, right?

Some cherry (older Aeros) have a tendency to appear pinkish in wear areas. The darker cordovan seems to reveal a more purplish/burgundy colored undercoat. However, most browns wear to a lighter or rustier brown. Personally I prefer most brown HH which seems to produce great character as it breaks in.
Yet here is a great black FQHH after being well worn...

Desmond007

Familiar Face
Some cherry (older Aeros) have a tendency to appear pinkish in wear areas. The darker cordovan seems to reveal a more purplish/burgundy colored undercoat. However, most browns wear to a lighter or rustier brown. Personally I prefer most brown HH which seems to produce great character as it breaks in.
Yet here is a great black FQHH after being well worn...

[/

Amazing jacket. And this is a non tumbled Vicenza Black?

SpeedRcrX

One Too Many
Did you buy the tumbled version SpeedRcrX?

Tumbled Vicenza doesn't exist, you can just ask more or less grain and you can choose between four colors : Russet, Seal brown, Dark Seal and Black

Mine is black and it's really black no undertones. Photos can be tricky because of the lightning.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I would counsel against cherry as a first buy, tbh. It's a not a popular colour generally, and if you find don't get the jacket right or it's not what you hoped it would be, it could be hard to sell on and you may find yourself taking a bigger loss than you might otherwise. Black's a good solid starter, especially if you can get one with a brown base colour, it'll develop a great patina. Btw, vicenza isn't tumbled, it just comes with a natural grain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo