Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First Aero leather jacket - Advise needed

Desmond007

Familiar Face
Tumbled Vicenza doesn't exist, you can just ask more or less grain and you can choose between four colors : Russet, Seal brown, Dark Seal and Black

Mine is black and it's really black no undertones. Photos can be tricky because of the lightning.

Yeah, it takes some photoskills getting the right amount of light.
I would counsel against cherry as a first buy, tbh. It's a not a popular colour generally, and if you find don't get the jacket right or it's not what you hoped it would be, it could be hard to sell on and you may find yourself taking a bigger loss than you might otherwise. Black's a good solid starter, especially if you can get one with a brown base colour, it'll develop a great patina. Btw, vicenza isn't tumbled, it just comes with a natural grain.
I would counsel against cherry as a first buy, tbh. It's a not a popular colour generally, and if you find don't get the jacket right or it's not what you hoped it would be, it could be hard to sell on and you may find yourself taking a bigger loss than you might otherwise. Black's a good solid starter, especially if you can get one with a brown base colour, it'll develop a great patina. Btw, vicenza isn't tumbled, it just comes with a natural grain.

I think you're right with not choosing cherry. I have come to that conclusion as well.
I have always worn black jackets, and never cherry colored, so why start now :D

I'm really a big fan of
different tones in a jacket and the copper like patina on some nicely worn jackets...oh boy oh boy :D

tnjyoung

A-List Customer
Desmond, I have been reading your comments and I have determined a few things from them. 1. You are leaning toward an Aero Sheene. 2. You are considering a Brown FQHH jacket (albeit you are moving toward black). 3. You are looking for variations in color. 4. You are concerned with "drape" (how it sits and feels on your body). I have an Aero Sheene, in Brown FQHH, and I initially had a similar goal to you. Here is mine (from another thread) after 6 months of ownership, but after only about 3 months of wear.

Well thanks guys. And since you've revived this thread, I'll post more recent photos of my jacket as it develops. 6 months in now...
View attachment 36019
View attachment 36020
View attachment 36021
View attachment 36022

Desmond007

Familiar Face
Dang, i thought i had nailed my coming leather! Is Cordovan horse or steer? Does Aero sell them?

Desmond007

Familiar Face
Desmond, I have been reading your comments and I have determined a few things from them. 1. You are leaning toward an Aero Sheene. 2. You are considering a Brown FQHH jacket (albeit you are moving toward black). 3. You are looking for variations in color. 4. You are concerned with "drape" (how it sits and feels on your body). I have an Aero Sheene, in Brown FQHH, and I initially had a similar goal to you. Here is mine (from another thread) after 6 months of ownership, but after only about 3 months of wear.

Thats a very nicely looking jacket.

I have quit brown, since I can get some brown if I choose a black jacket, that
develops a brownish/copperlike base in time.

Now I just need to get all those different leather names right....

tnjyoung

A-List Customer
Dang, i thought i had nailed my coming leather! Is Cordovan horse or steer? Does Aero sell them?

Cordovan is a color, not a type of leather, so it can be had in either steer or horse. It is a brown with deep blood-red tones. I think of cordovan as the same as "oxblood", but in reality it is a bit different.

tnjyoung

A-List Customer
Thats a very nicely looking jacket.

I have quit brown, since I can get some brown if I choose a black jacket, that
develops a brownish/copperlike base in time.

Now I just need to get all those different leather names right....

FQHH=Front Quarter Horsehide
Steer="Cowhide", (I think)
Vicenza=more supple/soft (maybe thinner) Horsehide
Goat=Goatskin (more pebbly surface), thinner, softer, lighter

Colors: Cherry (many red tones), Cordovan (red undertones), Brown, Black, Seal (dark brown with a slick-ish look), Tumbled (evenly distributed machine generated wear/patina)

This is my interpretation, anyway, but I am not an authority.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Cherry has a more purple/wine undertone, cordovan is deep red with brown/copper undertones. Seal is brown/black.

Desmond, welcome to the journey!
The jacket that HD posted (the most beautiful In my opinion) is made from Connelly Steerhide which is no longer available.
I recommend you order the whole range of leather samples from Aero. Get them wet, scratch them, rub them on the concrete and with sandpaper. You will see which has the qualities you are looking for.
Make sure you get your measurements correct! We have all made mistakes and bought jackets that didn't fit. Speak with Holly at Aero or Carrie at Thurston Bros to get that very important part figured out.
A badly fitting jacket will never develop character no matter how nice the leather.
Cheers!

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
In my experience, some folks vastlyvover-exaggerate the break-in time for the heacier horse. Less than a month is ample if you wear it often enough.

Cordovan is a color, not a type of leather, so it can be had in either steer or horse. It is a brown with deep blood-red tones. I think of cordovan as the same as "oxblood", but in reality it is a bit different.

" Shell cordovan" is, I believe, a type of leather, but "cordovan is also used by some sellers, Aero included, to mean a burgundy colour.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Have you thought about the Dark Seal Vicenza.....really, really dark brown, almost looks black in some lighting. It might just walk that line between black and brown for you and satisfy both?

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
I would encourage the OP to read the thread "tell us about your first leather jacket" before making a decision. Lots of good infor & photos there.

Desmond007

Familiar Face
I really like the Vicenza Dark Seal, but i'm now, after a lot of research, and help from
this forum, 90 % sure, that it's gonna be a black Shinki J-100 with a brown base from Diamond Dave.
Just don't know if it's gonna feel too loose...

Desmond007

Familiar Face
I really like the Vicenza Dark Seal, but i'm now, after a lot of research, and help from
this forum, 90 % sure, that it's gonna be a black Shinki J-100 with a brown base from Diamond Dave.
Just don't know if it's gonna feel too loose to wear...

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
When you order fro Dave you supply your body measurements and he determines the jackets measurements from that. I'm sure you could explain you would like a slightly trimmer fit than standard if you are worried the usual fit is too loose.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Desmond I think you might be suffering from sensory overload about now, and perhaps you need to sit back and consider how you might proceed. For whatever reason, I thought you are in the US but, in fact, would appear you are in Denmark, just across the N Sea from Scotland.

If I were in your shoes, I think I might recommend your going with your first plan to proceed with a Sheene from Aero, sending Denny your sizing information and maybe request samples. If the jacket doesn't fit, it is a helluva lot easier/cheaper to ship to and from Scotland than the US. I can tell you my Sheene with russet Vicenza MWHH fits, looks, and drapes like a dream. Of course, I was 99.9% certain of the fit before I placed my order. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Last edited:

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
l%C3%A6derjakke-meget-slidt-jpg.41754

from the look you're after here, it seems like an unlined thin leather, no matter how broken in your jacket
you can't make that many small creases, unless the leather is thin, probably calf
and also it seems like factory pre distressed effect, the lancer front panels look brand new, yet the sleeves look very old.

I have a pair of pre distressed boots look like this, the leather seems to be half dyed black, and the darker black are painted on...
otherwise you're going to wait very long wearing it in the rain and sun and also neglect to get a properly dyed black jacket to look like this.

my point is...
if you like this effect here and now, you might be happier going with:
- vintage
- pre distressed "fashion" jacket
-less premium off the rack jacket and DIY ing those effect yourself, sandpaper alcohol, washing machine, oil stain, etc.

otherwise you'll have to wait yrs to finally get the look you wanted, and at that point in life you probably don't wear leather jacket that much, or prefer less distressed look

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Also worth factoring in that if you buy from within the EU you won't get hammered for import taxes,and extra VAT, which can mount up fast.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo