Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First Hat

silhouette53

One of the Regulars
Well here's the Mallory I got from Mr E Bay - I'm a little self conscious in the pics, not least because the photographer, my long suffering daughter, was making wisecracks about Al Capone and Frank Sinatra - guess I have to get accustomed to that kind of thing ! Now all I have to do is wear it in public lol

Can anyone date this hat for me ? I'm guessing '60s - I assume the name on the band inside is that of the shop it was bought from ( Louis J Leitner Inc. Portsmouth, Virginia)

Not very good pics I'm afraid !

mallory3.jpg

mallory2.jpg

Mallory4.jpg

Mallory6.jpg

Interesting a The Eagle by Mallory. The Eagle was originally produced by Stetson in the 1940s. Stetson later bought Mallory out in the late 50s-60s(?). Does it say Mallory by Stetson on the sweatband?
If I had to guess I would say that it is indeed 60s. They produced nice hats back then. Is that an Eagle pin on the ribbon?

Regards,

J

silhouette53

One of the Regulars
Yes, its a small eagle pin - does that pin down the date a little more accurately ?( no pun intended !)
It just says Mallory cravenette - premier quality on the sweatband - no mention of Stetson

Its a 7 1/2 long oval

silhouette53 said:
Yes, its a small eagle pin - does that pin down the date a little more accurately ?( no pun intended !)
It just says Mallory cravenette - premier quality on the sweatband - no mention of Stetson

Its a 7 1/2 long oval

The pin is just something interesting that rarely survives its first owner so it was well taken care of by the owner.
No mention of Stetson then would place it in the early sixties when Stetson first got ahold of Mallory. They didn't start ruining it until later in the 60s. ;)

Regards,

J

silhouette53

One of the Regulars
Positive !

Thanks guys for the responses - particularly you James for the dating - I really must see if there are any books relating to hats and their history. I read the book 'Hatless Jack' about how JFK was supposed to have helped the decline of the hat ( I dont think he did - it was already in steady decline) Lots of fascinating info in that book.
One more question, was the style of my Mallory around in the 40s ? or were only the wider brimmed fedoras in vogue ? When did the style of the hat I have appear ?
Thanks guys !
Colin

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Brother, you look like you were BORN in that hat...

... very nice, esp. w/ the suit tie combo. You look quite natural in that. :eusa_clap
Actually you put me in mind of the Yank actor Keith Carradine, you ought to try a western next!

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
That hat suits you to a T, sir! You shouldn't have any reservations about wearing it in public. I'm sure that you will be the recipient of many a compliment. As for the tasteless louts who would offer their (un-solicited) opinions...laugh in their ballcap topped faces!

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
:eusa_clap Congradulations on your new hat! VERY nice! I too felt a bit odd when first wearing hats, especially in public. It only took about a month for me to feel natural in one. I love it, I get SO many compliments from people, and it does give you a more 'classier' look

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner