Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First Initial, Middle Name

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ugh.A couple years ago I got a letter, which may yet be around here somewhere, from the DMV that said Federal law requires the information that the Social Security Administration has match what is on your driver's license. DMV had an incorrect date of birth for me ever since I applied for a learner's permit in 1988. Every time I got a new license, no matter what state it was issued, I was younger. lol What a pain to correct it, though. Darn terrorists.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
When I was in 7th grade I had a bit of a "Name Crisis." I hated "Amy" and wanted to be called "Felicity Exene" (after Felicity Kendall and Exene Cervenka!)

Since THAT cool name wasn't going to happen I decided I was going to be "A. Rebecca." And I would sign my schoolwork that way for a while. Several teachers told me to sign my papers correctly, but one teacher actually started calling me "Rebecca." I didn't know whether I liked it or not so I went back to "Amy." And I'm still "Amy."

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Not I, but...

An older half-brother of mine goes by his middle name, which is Paul. He was named Frederick Paul Yeager, but I was probably about 12 before I found out that Paul was his middle name. My father's name is Frederick Luis. Later on, when I was in high school, my father had a third son whom he named Frederick Luis Junior. I honestly believe that my father forgot that Paul's first name was actually Frederick! lol

For a while there all three lived in the same house, so when I sent a Chrismas card I could send it addressed to Fred (cubed) Yeager.

Could have been worse... I could have gone by Fred, too! It is my middle name. :D

Now, my oldest half-brother (on my mother's side) has used Yeager as his last name since my parents got married when he was about 5. A few years back when applying for a passport he found out that it wasn't his legal name. (He's in his 50s now.)

To make things even more interesting, my wife's first husband was named Yager, so I have two step-children (actually adults, now) who have a last name that sounds the same as mine!

I suppose this is all TMI, but I find it amusing!

Cheers,
Tom

rockyj

One of the Regulars
Same here in my State

Went my whole life by my middle name. First name is John after my father who was named after his father who was...you get the idea.Well now my drivers licence has it johnroccoj ect..etc Waiting to get pulled aside at an airport for a funny sounding name and get put on the "NO FLY LIST"lol

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
My family has a track record of people with the middle name Michael that use that instead of their birth name. I am an exception, however. Besides, you can't really use the name, "Z. Michael," anyway. I do go by my first two initials often, though. ZM.

Flying Scotsman

One of the Regulars
You know, there's no such thing as a "legal name", really. You can use any name you want, on any documents you want. All that's really required is that you don't use a name to avoid criminal charges, debts, etc.

You can have your name legally changed (I did, years ago, for personal reasons) and that court order can be used to have your birth certificate amended (and from thence, other documents are more easily changed), but there's no such thing (as far as I've been told by the legal types) as "legal name" that you MUST use by law. Lawyers here may correct me if I'm wrong.

I chafe at bureaucratic things like the driver's license "rules" about what they supposedly can and can't put on them.

Rosie

One Too Many
My professional name was once S. Ida but, that caused way too much confusion with people not expecting me to show up to meetings, job interviews and such. A few years ago I decided to drop the S. and just go by my first name, at least the element of surprise is no longer there.

My auntie is Mary Elizabeth but everyone calls her Elizabeth, Beth or Aunt Liz. I never knew her name was Mary until I was an adult. I also have a cousin, Mary Michelle who is M. Michelle. Come to think of it, one of my aunt's name is Mary Lillian too, and she is Lillie. My family must have love/hate relationship with the name Mary.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart