Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

first time & a little over excited

dit dah

One of the Regulars
Hi

I'm new to the Lounge, thought I'd say hello.

I'm into all things vintage, always have been, but have never mixed with like minded types, so the thought of a little kinship (or vinship) is warming indeed.

I'm bursting with questions, some of which may be eye rollers for you seasoned posters, but I promise not to mention the RAF Jumper ;). There seems to be a fantastic wealth of knowledge and I'm looking forward to picking a few brains.

In an blatant attempt to curry favour with a few of you old salts I'm living across the road from a Spitfire training base, still more or less intact, with triangular runway, control tower, and dozens of buildings. Am hoping to use one to house my vintage recording gear.

Delighted to be here.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Welcome dit dah.

I too would love to see some photos of the aerodrome if it's not too much of a bother.

dit dah

One of the Regulars
More than happy to do that. I was in fact thinking of doing a blog focusing on the sites, RAF Rednal. Some of it is trashed. A paintball company use the tower and have abused it :rage: The buildings are used by various businesses and grant money has just been alocated, although there is no heritage based programme. The whole place is about to be painted white :( . There are still some fabulous finds left, such as the defensive positions sitting in the fields around the runway which still have their machine gun brackets etc. The place is dripping in atmosphere.

I'll seek permission and get snapping at some stage soon.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
dit dah said:
Hi

I'm new to the Lounge, thought I'd say hello.

I'm into all things vintage, always have been, but have never mixed with like minded types, so the thought of a little kinship (or vinship) is warming indeed.

I'm bursting with questions, some of which may be eye rollers for you seasoned posters, but I promise not to mention the RAF Jumper ;). There seems to be a fantastic wealth of knowledge and I'm looking forward to picking a few brains.

In an blatant attempt to curry favour with a few of you old salts I'm living across the road from a Spitfire training base, still more or less intact, with triangular runway, control tower, and dozens of buildings. Am hoping to use one to house my vintage recording gear.

Delighted to be here.

Welcome.

Now, not totally off-topic, but almost nearly, would you mind going into a little more detail about your vintage recording gear? Perhaps in one of the more informal threads? I'm very interested in this sort of thing and I suspect other FL members keen on dusty valves, etc., will reveal themselves, too.

dit dah

One of the Regulars
Hey Creeping Past, I'm sure my wife would love me to talk about the gear with anyone other than her good self, just tell me where to put it. Should I start a new thread? Don't want to get ahead of myself on the "hey look at me, new posts"

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Probably best in the "Display case" or "Steamer trunk" threads.

I have the same 'issues' with canvas, leather or wool.

Post freely and stir up interest... or see them gather tumbleweed, like many of my posts.

dit dah

One of the Regulars
Still waiting to hear back about photographing the base. In the meantime look for RAF Rednal, Shropshire, England, on Google Earth and you will spot the runway and buildings.

Part of the runway is leased by a private pilot who has a Sopwith Camel and other vintage planes. Yesterday I was walking Sparky the wonder dog in the nearby fields when I was privvy to the most amazing display of man and machine I have ever witnessed. The chap was up there, throwing his plane (not the Sopwith) about like it was a kite. Barrel rolls, loop the loops, spinning loops, upside down. It went on for about 15 mins and I was mesmerised (so much so that pooch managed to quaff an entire horse poo). An incredible experience, a priviledge to witness the obvious skill.

Creeping Past: re the studio, I have no pics at the mo as it's currently rotting away in storage so it might not make a good post but if you are interested I'll happily email you the details of the gear & plans etc.

So I see this post where a fellow newbie flashes a pic of his Harley Knucklehead and he gets about two hundred welcomes. I guess "that's life kid". Nice bike though! :)

Creeping Past

One Too Many
dit dah said:
Creeping Past: re the studio, I have no pics at the mo as it's currently rotting away in storage so it might not make a good post but if you are interested I'll happily email you the details of the gear & plans etc.

I missed this. Yes, I'd be very interested to see those. PM, if you wish.

And I'll have a pint of Scones. [Urp.] Or is that 'scones'? I never can tell which is the right way...

dit dah

One of the Regulars
I'll stick it here just in case it tickles anyone else.

Obviously the golden age of recording equipment is 60's/70's :( So it is my intention to aesthetically contrive a studio based on a fictional wartime military facility with a dash of 30's BBC Broadcasting House. All modern equipment will be housed in old Walnut cabinets out of site. The main components are:

Console: A 60's Pathe Marconi built by EMI engineers and previously housed at PM, Paris. Nice RAF/ Neve blue.

Monitors are huge Tannoys in Lockwood cabinets powered by rare Leak Abbey Road/ EMI amps.

Pre amps include Ampex 351's (Elvis/ Sun Studios look superb), Neve's (sound amazing, are in RAF blue and have Marconi knobs, Telefunken V76 (German engineering at it's best.)

Compressors include Chandler EMI replica, EAR Fairchild 660 replica, Universal Audio reissue LA2A, Collins & Gates from the 40's/ 50's. All look great.

Eq's include vintage RCA & Chandler Curve Bender reissue.

Mics include Neumann 149, RCA DX 77 & Coles 4038 Ribbons, ex-bbc 50's.

Other stuff includes 40's Collins mixer, Scully 1 inch 8 track (ex Decca), EMT plate reverb, AKG Spring reverb, Ex BBC Radiophonic Workshop 1/2 inch, 2 enormous Art Deco cinema amps (over 6 feet tall).

Instruments include Bechstein Grand, Tons of vintage percussion (my ex profession) Deco marimba, vibes, Radio King Rolling Bomber Kit with wartinme lugs, 40's amps, blah blah blah.

More recently I've been obsessing over the look of the place and have just secured a small complex of rooms on the RAF base to set up. However I have no funds available for the build so will have to "make do and mend"!

There will be an enforced dress code and I am mulling over the correct uniform for any technical personel. Not very relaxed, not very rock 'n' roll. But hey, that's me :)

Hope this is of interest.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Excellent list. I've no idea what most of it is, but I recognise some of the brand names.

Quite right about the dress code. Engineering staff should always wear canvas coats (white or khaki), preferably with biros in three colours in the top left pocket, flannels and proper shoes. Ties tucked into shirts. Brilliantine optional.

In hot weather, shirtsleeves must be rolled up past the elbows.

Lit cigarettes must not be balanced on the edges of mixing desks/amps. Chewing gum to be deposited in the sand buckets provided.

Etc.

dit dah

One of the Regulars
I like your thinking, though I've never been a fan of the biro as a writing device.

Sand buckets! I know I'd forgotten something. I know that the red WW2 type can be purchased from the Imperial War Museum. Sir, I am in your debt...

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Dit,

A fascinating area. Some years ago I did a mild and humble field study of Shropshire airfields (there is a post on it somewhere) and I have to say that it is a very interesting topic. Shroppie airfield relics are very much an undiscovered gem IMO - there were many more than most people think (in some cases they were so close that you could literally walk or cycle from one to another), they are in better preservation than many of those in East Anglia, there was a rich mixture of USAAF and RAF sites and, as the local population is fairly static, the older residents of the villages tend to have great memories to relate. I'm sure you know some of those!

Some of the the stories are interesting to the point of eccentricity. I love the one (documented with newspaper reports of a Mosquito on a misjudged landing neatly removing the top deck of a school bus parked on a village green. Disaster was only adverted by the fact that the children had apparently just heard that local shop had ice cream and had got off in a big rush!

Then there is the Station CO's bull terrier 'Sinbad' (surely a relative of my 'Bandit') who used to queue with the Erks and Ruperts for the Friday evening 'bus into town (muscling his way onto the front seat) and spend the night picking fights with the local dogs before catching the last 'bus back to camp, often bloody but apparently always unbowed.

Then there's the Short Stirling (again documented with newspaper photographs) that overshot the runway on landing and travelled for some distance down the main road, causing traffic to drive underneath it and a jeep full of US officers to swerve into a ditch...

I could go on.

dit dah said:
Still waiting to hear back about photographing the base. In the meantime look for RAF Rednal, Shropshire, England, on Google Earth and you will spot the runway and buildings.

dit dah

One of the Regulars
Mr Johnson

I'm already hearing some interesting local stories. Sadly mostly concerning crashes, of which there were many.

One local man, as a young lad, narrowly missed death when a Spitfire crashed into his family's farm as he stood at the gate, yards away. The place was drenched in fuel but didn't go up. Sadly the young pilot died. The chap has a bit of propeller as a momento.

Did you come across Rednal during your study of the area?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart