Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First timer advise.

Nikx

New in Town
Greetings.

I've come asking for some advise but before I do you should know a little bit about me.

I'm a 22 year old college student who is recently coming out of a rough time in my life. Part of the New Me has decided that I want to look nicer, both in being more healthy and the way I dress. I've always dressed at least a little bit better than most of my generation, button down shirts, decent watch, and what my peers would call "dress pants" (aka regular pants, not jeans). However I'd like to take it to another level, tuck in my shirt, start wearing a tie, and most importantly for my question here, start wearing a hat.

I've decided for sure that I want some type of fedora in a dark color, probably made of Wool (see price range below), however beyond that I'm rather lost. Here's some points to help narrow down your recommendations:

-I'm a stereotypical college student in that I don't have very much money. I'm looking to spend around $50 (maximum of ~$70)
-I'm a big guy, a small hat might look silly.
-Hat size 7 1/2 (noggin is 23 1/2 inches around on the dot)

Here's my ugly mug:
nikx-1.jpg

nikx2.jpg

I've taken a liking to a few Bailey hats, the Executive, New Yorker, and Gangster. But I'm open to all suggestions in the price range.

Thanks for reading and here's a bonus pic, it's the beach in the middle of the night with the moon peaking through the clouds:

PICT4277_filtered_small.jpg

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Hi there! Your plan reminds me of how I started hat wearing a little less than a year ago, and I'm a twenty year old college student myself. I would say go for it; if this is what you want, then don't be ashamed to take your wardrobe to another level, as you put it. There are quite a number of people out there that appreciate seeing a well-dressed man in public.

Also, a word on the hat; the first felt of any sort that I bought was wool felt, so I'd say that's not a bad place to start. If you buy something relatively cheap, it'll give you a good feel over the style. I personally went with this as my first fedora of any sort:

http://www.villagehatshop.com/jaxon-c-crown-crushable-fedora.html

It's made by Jaxon, and pretty cheap, but while it was shipped to me in good condition, the color was off from the picture ("Grey" appeared to be almost "Black," or some sort of dark charcoal grey). Also, as the months went on, the condition of the hat itself began to deteriorate a bit, to the point of there being a permanent wrinkle on the brim. This fedora is also quite tapered, which means it tilts inward, and is not a straight crown. I don't think this style suits me, at least not with that particular level of taper, but to each their own.

Welcome to the forum, or "addiction" as some might say!
tipping_hat_smiley.gif

Nikx

New in Town
J B said:
Welcome to the forum, or "addiction" as some might say!
tipping_hat_smiley.gif

Oh yes, I have a feeling this is turning into another addiction already. I am a pocket knife enthusiast and strong believer in having a good EDC (every day carry). I always carry a knife, flashlight, lighter (non-smoker), and have a small first-aid kit in my backpack.

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm a 19 year old college student myself, and have also initiated a "New Me" program that involves dressing and acting more professional...I started off with a HatsDirect Akubra Federation IV with EMS courier shipping from Australia, totalling to around $150. That seems to be out of your suggested price range.

That said, the key to a happy first purchase is knowing what kinda shape of crown and brim works for you. The Akubra FEDIV is open crown so I had the freedom to experiment. At your price range I doubt there will be many open crown hats that you can shape yourself, so you're definitely gonna have to go with Bailey or Jaxon.

Your selection is excellent. These are exactly the same hats I was looking at before I discovered Akubra. I especially like the Gangster.
Have you decided what color you want to have for your first hat? That could severely limit your selection, help narrow it down.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Welcome to the Lounge.

The single best thing to do is to go to a hat store and try on hats of various colors and types. By doing that you will begin to narrow in on the dimensions and color you want. Once you know that, it's just a matter of locating the right hat at the right price. As far as style (and size) is concerned, I really do think that's the best way to go about it. Nothing helps better than seeing yourself in the mirror wearing hats of various shapes and colors. ;)

1961MJS

Hi

Being in Maine you MAY be ordering so this won't help. I'm somewhat in your situation, being new to this, but I graduated in '83.

I've been to two different hat shops.

When looking at hats in StL at Levine's they said to buy whatever you think looks good on you.

When looking at hats in Wichita at Hatman Jacks, he said that hat's wearing you, you need a smaller brim and a slightly taller crown. He was right. I have a Sunbody on order to make a summer model of a beaver fedora I'll have made later in the year (I hope).

Good luck finding a good shop.

Adcurium

A-List Customer
Neophyte said:
I'm a 19 year old college student myself, and have also initiated a "New Me" program that involves dressing and acting more professional...I started off with a HatsDirect Akubra Federation IV with EMS courier shipping from Australia, totalling to around $150. That seems to be out of your suggested price range.

That said, the key to a happy first purchase is knowing what kinda shape of crown and brim works for you. The Akubra FEDIV is open crown so I had the freedom to experiment. At your price range I doubt there will be many open crown hats that you can shape yourself, so you're definitely gonna have to go with Bailey or Jaxon.

Your selection is excellent. These are exactly the same hats I was looking at before I discovered Akubra. I especially like the Gangster.
Have you decided what color you want to have for your first hat? That could severely limit your selection, help narrow it down.

I love to hear "Younger" people talk like that! You gentlemen can come work for me any day. Here is my unsolicited advice(which you already seem to know): Dress for the job you want, not the job you have. Dress for the respect you deserve. Dress for the confidence you want, not necessarily the confidence you have. You might be quaking in your boots, but don't let anyone else see it. Control the situation. Control your life. Control your own happiness.

Remember, if others believe in you, you'll start to believe in yourself. How do you make others believe in you? Look like a million bucks. Always. Showing up, looking good and looking like a winner is 70% of the job. Any job. Always give 100%, no matter what you're doing and regardless of how trivial the task might appear. Even if you're doing something for the first time, do it with the confidence that you've done it a million times. Never say "I've never done it before, but I'll try." Instead, say "Sure, I'll do it." And if you're going to say you'll do it, follow through and do it. I'm going to come across as a complete lunatic now, but this is important and I need to quote the source so I don't get sued in some sort of intergalactic court for plagiarism: "There is no TRY. DO, or DO NOT." Yoda, to a young Luke Skywalker.
If you screw up, if you didn't ge something done, if you've missed a deadline, take responsibility for it. It doesn't matter why it didn't get done. The fact of the matter is you were supposed to do something, and you didn't. There is very little I appreciate more than my staff and team taking responsibility. If you're a team leader on a project and it doesn't get done, it is YOUR fault. Not the rest of the team's fault who didn't get you reports on time, didn't do their part in the team effort, etc. As a team leader or a manager, it is your job to manage everyone else. Your job to motivate. Your job to lead and to make sure everyone follows per your plan (and ALWAYS have a plan, no matter what you're doing). How do you motivate and lead and get others to follow? See the first ten lines of my rant.

Undertow

ADVICE FOR ALL COLLEGE STUDENTS NEW TO HATS

When I first started purchasing fedoras, I wanted a high quality hat but had little money. Here's my suggestion:

Open the phone book of any larger town/city near you and look through their men's clothing yellow pages. Try to write down every single store and address.

Now make some surprise visits just to browse around. As you're going down your list, you will inevitably find a store that's closing out (this is a really rough economy after all). BINGO! Now you can jump start your hat/suit wearing. I followed this little rule and scored two high quality Biltmore's for only $30 a piece (normally 150.00/per).

If this avenue isn't working, you might also try local antique shops and dealers. You would be surprised how many estates are auctioned off into the hands of antique dealers who are entirely ignorant of hats. I've picked up two really nice 40's/50's era Stetsons this way. One was $30, brown, high crown, real soft, and the other was only $5 with the box!

jwalls

Vendor
Welcome aboard

The advise you receive here will aid you in your quest. Best of luck to you. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Adcurium said:
I love to hear "Younger" people talk like that! You gentlemen can come work for me any day. Here is my unsolicited advice(which you already seem to know): Dress for the job you want, not the job you have. Dress for the respect you deserve. Dress for the confidence you want, not necessarily the confidence you have. You might be quaking in your boots, but don't let anyone else see it. Control the situation. Control your life. Control your own happiness.

Remember, if others believe in you, you'll start to believe in yourself. How do you make others believe in you? Look like a million bucks. Always. Showing up, looking good and looking like a winner is 70% of the job. Any job. Always give 100%, no matter what you're doing and regardless of how trivial the task might appear. Even if you're doing something for the first time, do it with the confidence that you've done it a million times. Never say "I've never done it before, but I'll try." Instead, say "Sure, I'll do it." And if you're going to say you'll do it, follow through and do it. I'm going to come across as a complete lunatic now, but this is important and I need to quote the source so I don't get sued in some sort of intergalactic court for plagiarism: "There is no TRY. DO, or DO NOT." Yoda, to a young Luke Skywalker.
If you screw up, if you didn't ge something done, if you've missed a deadline, take responsibility for it. It doesn't matter why it didn't get done. The fact of the matter is you were supposed to do something, and you didn't. There is very little I appreciate more than my staff and team taking responsibility. If you're a team leader on a project and it doesn't get done, it is YOUR fault. Not the rest of the team's fault who didn't get you reports on time, didn't do their part in the team effort, etc. As a team leader or a manager, it is your job to manage everyone else. Your job to motivate. Your job to lead and to make sure everyone follows per your plan (and ALWAYS have a plan, no matter what you're doing). How do you motivate and lead and get others to follow? See the first ten lines of my rant.

VERY good advice, Adcurium! Everyone could benefit from being reminded of these things from time to time.

Welcome to the Lounge Nikx! Like a few of the others have said, I recommend trying to locate a few local hat shops that you can visit. Seeing how different types of hats suit you in person can really help develop your "eye" for what you're looking for, and what complements you best. Even if you don't end up buying a hat in person, you can at least take your notes and apply them to online shopping. I think most people here have, at one time or another, bought a hat online that turned out to not be what they were expecting, or didn't look good on them like they first thought it would.

I second Doctor Strange in recommending Akubra. I know that it is a bit out of your price range, but if after doing your research, you see an Akubra that you like that fits your requirements, it may be worth saving some additional funds to make that investment. I have two Akubras so far (A Stylemaster and a Stingy Brim), and may be making the plunge on a Campdraft sooner or later (assuming I can decide whether the dimensions fit my face well enough).

Either way, you're bound to find lots of helpful advice here. Visit any time day or night, and ask all the questions you need. Next thing you know, you'll be another "addict". :)

Neophyte

Nikx said:
I've always dressed at least a little bit better than most of my generation, button down shirts, decent watch, and what my peers would call "dress pants" (aka regular pants, not jeans).

Aw man, and I thought jeans were regular pants! lol

Spats McGee

One Too Many
There's a whole string of good advice before my posts, so I'll just say two things:

(1) If you don't take Richard Warren up on his offer, I might just have to impersonate you, 'cause that gray Camp Draft is just my size. :D Besides, the CD is a really nice hat.

(2) Welcome to the Lounge!

danofarlington

Nikx said:
Greetings.

I've come asking for some advise but before I do you should know a little bit about me.

I'm a 22 year old college student who is recently coming out of a rough time in my life. Part of the New Me has decided that I want to look nicer, both in being more healthy and the way I dress. I've always dressed at least a little bit better than most of my generation, button down shirts, decent watch, and what my peers would call "dress pants" (aka regular pants, not jeans). However I'd like to take it to another level, tuck in my shirt, start wearing a tie, and most importantly for my question here, start wearing a hat.

I've decided for sure that I want some type of fedora in a dark color, probably made of Wool (see price range below), however beyond that I'm rather lost. Here's some points to help narrow down your recommendations:

-I'm a stereotypical college student in that I don't have very much money. I'm looking to spend around $50 (maximum of ~$70)
-I'm a big guy, a small hat might look silly.
-Hat size 7 1/2 (noggin is 23 1/2 inches around on the dot)

]
No! No wool! Egad, man! Go fur felt, absolutely. On you, I might go for a 2 1/2" brim to a 2 5/8" brim (most hat websites specify brim size). You could go for an Akubra Federation, although to me it's that Indiana Jones thing that is so distinctive, which I'm not a fan of. For your price range you might go to E Bay and look for something that catches your eye. Had you not said dark color, I would've recommended a vintage Stetson Open Road from E Bay, which are light "silver belly" color. (The new Open Roads from Stetson are stiff like cardboard and have the cattleman's crease, which is fine, but probably not what you're thinking at the moment.) As GT Dean points out it's a country hat, but that's pretty useful in very many occasions. Heck, you might consider it anyway, because you could be surprised at how it makes you look. I know I like mine. It's hard to nail the perfect hat on the first buy, but my first fedora was Open Road, and it was cool enough to lead to many others.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Actually, everyone else is right. Fur felt is superior quality to wool. Wool hats don't really last long in their best possible shape. I suggested one because it might have been in your price range, but if possible, it would be great for you to try to get a fur felt if you can. I think you'll be able to tell the difference in the texture of the hat, and they are usually lined with a leather sweat band.

Salty O'Rourke

Practically Family
I don't have much to add to what you've already heard here, but I will make one suggestion - you need to double-check your hat size as measured with the tape. I did the same thing and KNEW that I was a 7 1/8 - until I walked into the hat shop. Turns out I was a 7 1/4.

Go to a western wear store or tack shop that sells cowboy hats - they will fit you and you'll know for sure what size you are. Then you can order online with confidence.

Oh, and if you decide to grow your hair out it will tighten up whatever hats you own, so you may want to get a looser-fitting lid.

Okay, one more piece of advice: check out the various Stetson and Dobbs fur felt fedoras and if you see some you like, call the Hatco outlet in Garland TX (google it up for the number). They may have just what you're looking for at a ridiculously low price and shipping is only $10.

obie

New in Town
Wow, jump on that generous offer!

You would be then set for a hat and to see if that would work for you!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL