Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First Vintage Hat!!!

fedoracpa

New in Town
I just won my first vintage hat on Ebay - It is a black Champ fedora, not sure of the specific model though. I love the wide ribbon and it even still has the original hat pin and box to boot. What a bargain price as well. Paid only 16.50 (won hat for 9.50 + 7.00 shipping). I will have to post pictures once I receive it.

I don't know too much about Champ hats, besides I believe other lounge members have them. I'm anxious to get this so I can see the difference between this vintage hat and one of my modern production Stetsons or Dobbs.

Hopefully this hat ships quick! I'm also waiting for my Akubra Adventurer to come by UPS next week. I bought my first hat in July and here two months later I'll have five. Wife thinks I'm crazy, but she can think what she wants as long as she lets me buy a new hat now and then. I'm sure I will be able to jam quite a few in my closet.

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Way to go, fedoracpa! Great score, especially if you like stingies! Champs are prized possesions here at the Lounge. Enjoy it! Can't wait to see it on you!

dean

skwerl-hat

One of the Regulars
congrats fedoracpa
I hope your hat arrives soon and gives you years of service. there is nothing like a first vintage hat! what a feeling of joy.:eusa_clap

eaglerich

New in Town
Love my Champ! Looking for more!

I scored a Champ a couple of months ago. It is "serpent" colored with a matching thin ribbon and a matching wind trolley. It even had the original price tag in it (10.95) which, unfortunately, my baby grand-daughter got ahold of and destroyed. I learned from the community here that Champs were blue collar working men's hats, but I love the felt on mine, very supple and easy to manipulate. Nothing second rate about the felt or the workmanship. It's one of my favorites and since it's green I plan on wearing it with my Eagles jersey this football season. I'm on the look-out for more Champs!

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
indycop, Try setting an ebay search for the size you need under "bucket, fedora". Then set it as one of your favorite categories on myebay. Good luck!

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
indycop said:
Do I just not know how to look or is there never any vintage fedoras in the large sizes like 7 5/8?
Just great! MORE competition for the same hats! Oh well.

And, yes, there is a shortage of vintage hats in OUR size. And when they do come around, due to many a bidder, they can get quite expensive. I check all sizes and hope to find a gem. And when I see a good one in a Buy It Now situation, I do. Even if you don't like it, you can always resell it.

Good luck.

Tony in Tarzana

I've only found two 7-5/8 vintage hats. One was a Homburg that was advertised as a 7-1/2, which Fletch has now, and a green Dobbs fedora that says 7-5/8 inside the sweatband but has shrunk to the point that it fits like a 7-1/2.

LEUII

One of the Regulars
I, too, am one of 'those' sizes. I'm right smack dab in the middle of 7 1/2 and 7 5/8. They are tough to find. But, well worth the hunt. Often, though, the prices lift them well out of my stratus.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
J.T.Marcus said:
indycop, Try setting an ebay search for the size you need under "bucket, fedora". Then set it as one of your favorite categories on myebay. Good luck!

Done! Ok, its been a few minutes, now where's that 7 5/8 vintage borsalino!?

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
LEUII said:
I, too, am one of 'those' sizes. I'm right smack dab in the middle of 7 1/2 and 7 5/8. They are tough to find. But, well worth the hunt. Often, though, the prices lift them well out of my stratus.

Now, that' what I call "knowing your size." :)

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
I'm also a "large brain" type...running a 7 1/2- 7 5/8. I figure I'm just going to find a vintage by pure luck. For the mean time...I'm going to enjoy my Akubra's, buy more when I can and hope for the best! Tomorrow my Akubra Adventurer should arrive....At least that's what the UPS tracking says.....:rolleyes:

deanglen

When it comes to getting the right fit, whatever your size, I'd rather shrink a hat then stretch it, but I'd stretch it if I had to. And I have. This point of view open up a lot more options for the larger size crowd.

dean

fedoracpa

New in Town
I got the vintage Champ today and it is beautiful. However, the measurements on the ebay listing were not quite accurate and the hat is too small. What a bummer. The hat is actually a size 7 1/4. I have put the hat on ebay and will post a link in the classifieds section of the lounge. [huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou