Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fitting the Homburg to the Ovate Gentleman

donnc

One of the Regulars
My Homburgs aren't as comfortable as they ought to be. Neither the cheap one I bought new, nor the new one I bought used. I believe the correct term for the shape of my head would be ovate - I'm an egg head, that is, a little narrower in the front. I suppose I'm not the only one, but Homburgs in particular don't conform very well to that shape, forming rather an oval shape that's symmetrical from front to back. (And maybe a little too round for me, too.)

A mild pinch, low at the temples, would help a lot, it appears, and I don't think the looks would suffer from it. But of course, the felt springs right back with a light pop, as this shape is really "baked" into the hat. Is there a good way to release that shape just enough to make very modest changes, without really wilting it or putting irreparable crumple points in it, etc.?

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
A bit of steam should do it. Then to return it to it's original shape, if the pinch is light it should be okay to just pop them back out. If the hats is stubborn, you can always send to have it reblocked to an open crown (or any style of your choosing). And stay on the lookout for one of these, only an homburg, not a bowler. It'll keep you from going bald, too. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy