Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Five Star Leather Jackets

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
Thank you @Jin431! It feels great and I added an inch to the chest for layering, I'm happy I did that as it's really comfortable with a sweater. The first pictures are taken with a sweater underneath.

I also like how it looks with just a t-shirt and unzipped. Definitely a keeper :)

View attachment 311579 View attachment 311580 View attachment 311583

Well played! It does make perfect sense so you can wear it in the sun/rain/snow what have you. The back looks relaxed now but since you guys get rained on a lot that will have the creasing here and there soon enough and it will look even better!

Reactions: Riu

Riu

Practically Family
Wow, man! This turned out great.

Thank you! I'm really happy with the result, I had a few doubts but I'm glad I went for it :)

Congrats, it looks really good!

Thank you! It was encouraging to see what everyone's got and then it was just getting those measurements right.

Well played! It does make perfect sense so you can wear it in the sun/rain/snow what have you. The back looks relaxed now but since you guys get rained on a lot that will have the creasing here and there soon enough and it will look even better!

I'm looking forward to seeing how it will develop in time. Since we have a bit of everything here I thought that was the best choice for me, I rarely will wear this one with just a t-shirt but it's good to know it's going to keep me warm anyway.

There is room for improvement in some areas but the jacket feels nice. I like that I can move freely and it stays nicely on me. You can see how the back looks when the zipper is closed and my arms are stretched forward, there's barely any pull.

IMG_5271.JPG

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
@Riu I was a huge fan of your Aero :)

I know they're different beast and that you didn't buy the 5* as a substitute for the Aero. But I can't help comparing.
52EAE1A9-5AC2-4A85-B8C3-D6CB3DBD2C38.jpeg

To me, that Aero had presence. It looked badass. I liked it much better than the 5*.

Riu

Practically Family
@Riu I was a huge fan of your Aero :)

I know they're different beast and that you didn't buy the 5* as a substitute for the Aero. But I can't help comparing.
View attachment 311597

To me, that Aero had presence. It looked badass. I liked it much better than the 5*.

You made me shed a tear! You don't want to know how bad I felt when I sent it back @Marc. if it wasn't that tight around the chest I would have kept it for sure. But I'm planning to get an Aero later, just don't have the patience yet for a custom order and their stock don't fit me, I've already tried a couple :D

My journey is just starting and I'd like to get some nice jackets but I only want to keep them if I really like them. I'm just looking at some horsehide samples right now and crumpling them to see how they look, thinking of a custom project.

Hh121

Banned
You are not doing a fair comparison between 5star and Aero unless the 5star one is made from Horween hide or any high-end leather.

Reactions: Riu

Riu

Practically Family
Got to say I prefer the 5 star in terms of style and fit - if I got one from them and it turned out like that I’d be thrilled

The Board Racer was from their used stock so it didn't my measurements, it happened to be a great fit apart from the chest.
While a lot is down to craftsmanship, it's also down to materials and CXL is a completely different story from 5*'s steer hide.

I'm curious what 5* can do with top quality leather as I have a feeling that with proper instructions(and a good pattern design) they can take this to a really good level.

Riu

Practically Family
@Riu that came out really well. Congratulations!!

Thank you so much @JustinW! I like it a lot and it will suit me well for a while :)

You are not doing a fair comparison between 5star and Aero unless the 5star one is made from Horween hide or any high-end leather.

I was just saying the same thing, then I saw your reply :D I agree with that, that's why I'm curious about what they can do with different leather.

Riu

Practically Family
I bridge the waiting time for my Aeros with various experiments with 5* lol
Hopefully my next aero will come in four weeks. that's enough for another 5*. lol

I'm curious what's your next project with 5* :D. Maybe one day I'll grow some patience to wait but I just got too many things on my plate now and I was really annoyed after I had to send the Aero's back. I'm glad I decided to order from 5* as it's a really good base for other experiments.

Riu

Practically Family
True, it's not a fair comparison. Like I said, different beast. But we're looking at two j100 style leather jackets. It's ok to say I like the looks of one beter than the other right?

They are different beasts indeed and I wasn't really sure I'm going to like Aero before buying it after reading different opinions. I can only say it feels and looks great and I'm sure if I go for the custom order it will turn out great. I just didn't want to keep it just to have an Aero that doesn't feel right as I don't see the point in that really.

I'm more than happy with my 5* purchase, there's no doubt about that but I also want a nice horsehide jacket. For me, being close enough to Aero is convenient and like I said before if the conditions will allow me I will pay them a visit and who knows what I can find once I'm there :)

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm curious what's your next project with 5* :D. Maybe one day I'll grow some patience to wait but I just got too many things on my plate now and I was really annoyed after I had to send the Aero's back. I'm glad I decided to order from 5* as it's a really good base for other experiments.

I'm already doing the pictures and measurements for the CR. I'm just not sure whether I should take buffalo, steer or goat.
Shawn is proud that his leather is supple and probably 99% of customers who are into fashion jackets want it too.
We are a too small target group I think.
I'll ask shawn if he can wash the hide and heat dry it so the leather shrinks. maybe he can do that and it will get a good result.

Oh yes and I would also like to have another vest made of shearling.

Riu

Practically Family
I'm already doing the pictures and measurements for the CR. I'm just not sure whether I should take buffalo, steer or goat.
Shawn is proud that his leather is supple and probably 99% of customers who are into fashion jackets want it too.
We are a too small target group I think.
I'll ask shawn if he can wash the hide and heat dry it so the leather shrinks. maybe he can do that and it will get a good result.

Oh yes and I would also like to have another vest made of shearling.

You're not wasting any time indeed :)

I'm curious what the result will be if he washes and dries the leather, I remember seeing a goat jacket that was made like that and it looked fantastic.

I asked Shawn if he can get a leather similar to this one and he told me to send him a sample so he can have a look. It's 1.4mm waxy cowhide and I find it interesting. Stiff and thick enough for what I want.

IMG_5284.JPG
IMG_8345.JPG
IMG_8360.JPG

BloodEagle

A-List Customer
Ive had an Aero in CXL before and I didnt like it at all - the steerhide being differnt may be a good thing from my perspective. I am thinking of ordering a 5* Board Racer with very similar specs to the one you have above - may I ask if you had to go into a great deal of detail or to-ing and fro-ing with the measurements or did you just pick a size and make a few tweaks? Also if its not an impertinent question may I ask how much this worked out at to the UK (Im also in the UK)?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana