Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Five Star Leather Jackets

Riu

Practically Family
I'm curious to see how my Cafe Racer made of goat will be. The ones I've got of goat so far are already quite stiff.

From that perspective, I think I should have gone with the goat but I really liked the grain on the steer :D I'm curious too how your CR will turn out. Is he already working on it?

I have a thick and soft hide jacket that get more personality after I wash it, when damp I wear and kinda shape the neck hole ( collarless ), shape the cuff a bit , and when dry it kind of hold the shape, i ll post pic on the wjdywt thread since I just remember I promised to

I'd like to see those pictures as I might be thinking to try a few things for the leather to get a bit better.

Riu

Practically Family
You guys should wear your jackets more than ordering:D getting patina and creases and fade are part of the hobby too:)

Haha, you're right :D I enjoy wearing my CR almost every day as I'm curious how it will develop in time and I really like how it fits me. This morning it was pretty cold and it held up really well, I wasn't cold at all so that quilted lining is doing a great job.

I want the stiffer leather for my other project and I'm just excited to see how it will come alive but gotta have patience.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I once tried to burn spoon over a stove, and use the curved bottom to reharden my combat boots toe cap. I think it worked somewhat, I won't do that to other color than black since I'm afraid it will darken the color or something.

Riu

Practically Family
I once tried to burn spoon over a stove, and use the curved bottom to reharden my combat boots toe cap. I think it worked somewhat, I won't do that to other color than black since I'm afraid it will darken the color or something.

The things we do to our jackets :D

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Bison is my first choose but seems like shipping bison, deer or elk to oversea needs purchasing fish and wildlife license in US(not hundred percent sure).

That might be worth confirming. I suspect the supplier could send it for you to wherever you need?

PilotJens

One of the Regulars
Does anyone want to send him specific zips and buttons? I am willing to send a decent amount of parts to him If you pay me the item cost plus let's say 2$ (only for long time members that can be trusted to pay me once Shawn confirms the arrival)(not trying to scam people so I would pay upfront unless you want to send him 14k gold buttons)
I might have 1-4kg of capacity left in the package

Morecowbell

New in Town
I'm thinking of doing an A-1 with Shawn, and the only visual thing about the original jacket design that I'm unsure about is the lower snaps on the front closure - they seem vulnerable to paint chipping and somehow look slightly out of place to me, even though I know they're period correct. But I'm not a fan of buttons there either, so was wondering if anyone has ever covered the snaps, like the pockets on an A-2? I know its still a wear area but just curious.

PilotJens

One of the Regulars
Screenshot_2021-03-15-18-46-02-061_com.estrongs.android.pop.jpg
Screenshot_2021-03-15-18-46-11-546_com.estrongs.android.pop.jpg
Screenshot_2021-03-15-18-46-17-115_com.estrongs.android.pop.jpg

PilotJens

One of the Regulars
Sorry for my awful sweatpants. I just came home from work.

It just arrived today .Fits almost perfectly .Sleeves are not tubular and I am glad I watched a few videos of David Himmel explaining different ways to make a jacket pattern .Slim torso means wider arms and it worked 1000% .No restrictions in range of motion but not a sloppy fit either .
The leather is well how do I put it .Fashion leather but that where five star comes from . Stitching and overall workmanship is great .It is a bit soft and compared to my Noble House Front quarter veg tanned Horsehide it is pretty good .I still like the leather on the noble house better but the workmanship and lining is miles better .

PilotJens

One of the Regulars
Is his steerhide stiffer or is the premium goat stiffer ? I just got the last brass buckle for my luftwaffe jacket today so I will patina the brass tomorrow just like the buckle for the front and send it to him including my Noble House luftwaffe jacket for some alterations and base for my new jacket .
And I say it one last time . I send real Scottish wool tartan to him . Enough for 4 jackets so If some one is interested hit me up.And I have some riri zips left
Screenshot_2021-03-15-18-58-11-355_com.miui.gallery.jpg

Sadly Shawn did not send me the seal/ redskin shearling sample and conic goat sample so I will have to re order that unless some German fellow here is willing to part with their samples for some tip money .

PilotJens

One of the Regulars
It is the black goat .I think it will get stiffer once I take it into the rain .The forearm looks bigger on the picture .I will make a new pic.They look fine in real life .
I hope the sample packeage won't take ages .I want to make a redskin shearling Irvin with conic goat taping .It would look similar to my sadly stolen noble house Battle of Britain .I wanted to reorder the same jacket but the jacket they send me was awfull.Weak leather which probably lost some collagen while rotting before tanning .And massive fur loss so it was light was a feather.You could rip the leather just by pulling at it .And that is not the first time .I bought a 2014 noble house Irvin which had the same problem (I thought it was because of the previous owner but it wasn't) so I lost my trust in them

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points