Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Five Star Leather Jackets

Riu

Practically Family
Was just thinking it looks almost identical to that jacket, which I posted on the first page of this thread. LOL. Talk about full circle. I’ll leave it this way for now and maybe dye down the line when/if this faux finish annoys me. Either way feels better than the original dog turd brown.
View attachment 333315 View attachment 333316

I think if you can tone down those darker areas and spots, this could actually become quite interesting, closer to a natural look.

Hh121

Banned
5star new natural leather, looks good! (looks like regular oil-tanned leather)
183863284_2927984900813259_8775278984833159453_n.jpg

Riu

Practically Family
I received the jacket today, took a few pictures and I'm quite pleased with the result. It's on the short side as I wanted it and I like that.

The sleeves seem longer a bit although I asked them to be shorter than on the CR and the measurements are fine, I guess it's the pattern. I'm happy with the jacket, the leather is thick and feels great(I think it feels better than the steer). Overall I can say great work from 5*!

IMG_5773.jpg
IMG_5789.jpg
IMG_5795.jpg
IMG_5798.jpg

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
to me, oil pull up, won't make interesting creases and grain, they only change in color and collect scratches, but not really creasing well, more suitable for boots and bag & pouches imo, is Oil Pull a wax stuffed nubuck? after sometime on wear areas they feel like nubuck .

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I received the jacket today, took a few pictures and I'm quite pleased with the result. It's on the short side as I wanted it and I like that.

The sleeves seem longer a bit although I asked them to be shorter than on the CR and the measurements are fine, I guess it's the pattern. I'm happy with the jacket, the leather is thick and feels great(I think it feels better than the steer). Overall I can say great work from 5*!

View attachment 333558 View attachment 333559 View attachment 333560 View attachment 333561
Congratulations. Perfect fit.

Reactions: Riu

Hh121

Banned

View attachment 333558 View attachment 333559 View attachment 333560 View attachment 333561
Perfect in every possible way, congrats!! How's the arm movement?

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up

The leather does indeed look very nice. Great fit too. I love the design.

Personally I would have added a zipper to the chest pocket but that's just personal preference.

Congrats on a great looking jacket!

Outstanding and a perfect fit! LOVE the cuff design!

navetsea

I'll Lock Up

congrats, great looking hide, great fit, and your design turn out like the picture!!

Riu

Practically Family
Congratulations. Perfect fit.

Thank you! Now I just gotta wear it :)

Perfect in every possible way, congrats!! How's the arm movement?

Thank you! It's pretty good, I feel just a bit of restriction but I think that's because I wanted it to be just enough for one layer and no more. The pictures are with just a t-shirt but I can use a light sweater.

The leather does indeed look very nice. Great fit too. I love the design.

Personally I would have added a zipper to the chest pocket but that's just personal preference.

Congrats on a great looking jacket!

Thank you! I actually thought about adding zippers to all pockets during the process but I stayed to my original design.

Outstanding and a perfect fit! LOVE the cuff design!

I like it too, thank you! I wanted to keep the design from the rgt jacket and I'm actually glad I added the buttons since the cuffs are on the tight side.

Riu

Practically Family
When I got the samples, the goat was a stand-out.

I should have listened when everybody said the goat is nicer than the steer, but that's what you get when you're being stubborn and I went for the latter for the CR.

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
I should have listened when everybody said the goat is nicer than the steer, but that's what you get when you're being stubborn and I went for the latter for the CR.

It's funny, when I ordered mine, seems like an eternity ago with this journey I've been on, I asked Shaun straight up, send me your best leather, something where it will give the best impression and make we want to order something else. He sent me the seal steer. Looking back, now after handling a few dozen jackets, I realize it was a dumb request. "Best" means a lot of things to a lot of people-- thickest, softest, color development, etc. After getting some samples and seeing many posts here, I've determined "Best" for my tastes is probably going to be black goat and maybe seal goat as a close 2nd.

The steer is ok. It's definitely thick, on the softer side. So I can see how Shaun would think that would make the most impression. It's probably an upgrade to your usual mall jacket leather. But it's just blah. No highlights. No variation in color. The pattern seems stamped. Like I said back then, at $300 maybe slightly sub $300, I think it's a good value, especially factoring in the customization angle of it (assuming you know your measurements and can baby sit the process).

FL2021

Familiar Face
Rui,

It is STunninG...Really taken of Guard how well it Flows....Congrats...

PilotJens

One of the Regulars
I like the goat and steer but there is definitely a difference in appearance and visual quality .
Just compare the luster of the goat and the flat look of the "russet" Steer .
Both have the same amount of shine in the sun and both have been hand buffed with buffalo brand leather conditioner.
I still refuse to give up on them .
The stuff you guys want are returning reason for most people that are not into this religion.

For example my love hate relationship with noble house Leather.
They have returns because "my jacket started to crease and now looks like fake leather complaints ....
Leather got dark because of the rain ...
They used to have a nice vachetta like horsehide taping on the Irvin look alikes .Now it is orange pigment coated horsehide without the ability to get character . Some of their hides were really really nice but they changed them probability because of unknowing customers

Five star is first and foremost a hobby and side income for Shawn and associates and they make do with what they have .Mass marked leather with typical characteristics.

Attachments

• IMG_20210503_185541.jpg
    IMG_20210503_185541.jpg
    6.3 MB · Views: 677

Riu

Practically Family
It's funny, when I ordered mine, seems like an eternity ago with this journey I've been on, I asked Shaun straight up, send me your best leather, something where it will give the best impression and make we want to order something else. He sent me the seal steer. Looking back, now after handling a few dozen jackets, I realize it was a dumb request. "Best" means a lot of things to a lot of people-- thickest, softest, color development, etc. After getting some samples and seeing many posts here, I've determined "Best" for my tastes is probably going to be black goat and maybe seal goat as a close 2nd.

The steer is ok. It's definitely thick, on the softer side. So I can see how Shaun would think that would make the most impression. It's probably an upgrade to your usual mall jacket leather. But it's just blah. No highlights. No variation in color. The pattern seems stamped. Like I said back then, at $300 maybe slightly sub $300, I think it's a good value, especially factoring in the customization angle of it (assuming you know your measurements and can baby sit the process).

The steer indeed is rather dull. I noticed the goat looks much better after I wore the jacket today for a while so there is no doubt about that. For a fashion jacket, I get why Shawn said that. The steerhide doesn't change much in time the jacket will look the same so it's better.

Rui,

It is STunninG...Really taken of Guard how well it Flows....Congrats...

Thank you :) I like how it fits me and looking forward to seeing how it's going to develop in time.

FL2021

Familiar Face
The steer indeed is rather dull. I noticed the goat looks much better after I wore the jacket today for a while so there is no doubt about that. For a fashion jacket, I get why Shawn said that. The steerhide doesn't change much in time the jacket will look the same so it's better.

Thank you :) I like how it fits me and looking forward to seeing how it's going to develop in time.

Rui,
What color of Stitching did you use?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points