Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Five Star Leather Jackets

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I don't think top coat pigment will resurface. I once acetone my belt around the darkened area near the buckle, the spot turned pale instantly but later gain back its color, but the belt is natural and the color is just oil in the leather, same thing might happen with aniline dye perhaps since they can move around with the oil , but not with pigmented top coat I feel, once scraped or wiped off then it's off.

PilotJens

One of the Regulars
I know but I sanded the russet steer and brown will resurfaces with conditioner .I think the hide has a slight soluble pigment in it because the backside is also russet . Maybe something like a cheaper variant of a semi aniline style finish ? A bit of soluble dye while tanning and a russet top coat to finish it up?

PilotJens

One of the Regulars
I think a certain amount of dye will be absorbed if thin enough .

I hope Shawn didn't stich the Jacket himself.
Or showed the people making the jacket pictures:eek:

I hit it with sand paper last night. I used 800 grit as the 1k wasn’t enough. Today last wipe down with acetone. Cordovan dye arrives on Wednesday. Hopefully by next weekend the saga has concluded. I don’t think there is any going back after the alcohol dye. It is what it is after that, for better or worse.

Conditioner or the sheen sealant could yield a nice result.
B8FB57EE-EEDD-4EC1-A788-453BFB84FAB3.jpeg

Add a RRL label to it and it will fetch 2k on eBay.

View attachment 333314
Was just thinking it looks almost identical to that jacket, which I posted on the first page of this thread. LOL. Talk about full circle. I’ll leave it this way for now and maybe dye down the line when/if this faux finish annoys me. Either way feels better than the original dog turd brown.
7B95053F-DE52-4350-9C21-BDC01137C1CB.jpeg
FA0E4040-8815-42AD-A943-0E968F045611.jpeg

PilotJens

One of the Regulars
Didn't Terry Mitchell provide measurements and pics ? Remove the label and try to sell it to him as a vintage jacket, say you found out that it has been relined .
I wonder if he would buy the fraud lol.
Not trying to scam him .Just for the laugh

Didn't Terry Mitchell provide measurements and pics ? Remove the label and try to sell it to him as a vintage jacket, say you found on that has been relined .
I wonder if he would buy the fraud lol.
Not trying to scam him .Just for the laugh
LOL. Terry wouldn’t touch this thing with a ten foot pole. I’m debating on trying to soften the contrast with something less intrusive than dye. Maybe OB’s boot preservative. It’s fully dry now and sealed and it’s quite a bit lighter than even this am.

PilotJens

One of the Regulars
I once dyed a jacket with instant coffee grounds mixed with oil lol.
That smelly pigskin jacket was my first leather jacket and it didn't wanted to stop smelling like a pigs @nus .
So I mixed Instand coffee grounds with olive oil and rubbed it in .It covered up the smell and dyed it well coffee grounds brown .
I have also done it to a very cheap polyurethane split leather boot which was "smooth leather" .It got a bit sticky .

PilotJens

One of the Regulars
The patina on the original jacket looks exactly like my pair of russet boots that got the mahagonie dye treatment from me .I post pics later

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points