Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Five Star Leather Jackets

Riu

Practically Family
Progress pics of the 2.2mm Halfbelt. Grainy but I can see that the pocket placement and start point for the main zip is correct (also elastic for the full AB). Apparently this is day three of its construction. Shawn described working with this leather as “extremely difficult” and it required the purchase of a new sewing machine! He has promised to make me my best jacket…I believe him.
View attachment 340346 View attachment 340347 View attachment 340348 View attachment 340349

I’m really lly curious how it will turn out. Love that colour - if it wasn’t that thick I have thought about it but that is a proper armour right there!

WUC3V0U.jpg

TheDonEffect

Practically Family
You should look into ruck training, lol.

Man, Sean is not playing around, dude went out and bought a sewing machine just to make this one jacket despite literally having a factory. I just think back on how far they've come, went from Genuine Leather tags on standard fashion jacket (not a knock) leather to custom vintage tags with in house CXL. The fits seem to be getting markedly better with every new jacket. And now they're tackling ambitious projects with heavier hides like this.

Kudos, can't wait to see all the SXL jackets coming in soon to see how they turn out.

You should look into ruck training, lol.

Man, Sean is not playing around, dude went out and bought a sewing machine just to make this one jacket despite literally having a factory. I just think back on how far they've come, went from Genuine Leather tags on standard fashion jacket (not a knock) leather to custom vintage tags with in house CXL. The fits seem to be getting markedly better with every new jacket. And now they're tackling ambitious projects with heavier hides like this.

Kudos, can't wait to see all the SXL jackets coming in soon to see how they turn out.
This will be my 7th 5 Star and each one had built in degree of difficulty tests. Shawn always passed but the hides (as chronicled) were not always very impressive. I’m quite impressed with Shawns growth and eagerness to continue to improve and push the limits of what they know how to do.

TheDonEffect

Practically Family
Lol, 6oz is the sweet spot for me!I need to decide between j82 and straight zipper CHP as I have both pattern and exact measurement ready. I also send 12 oz bull denim to Shawn as a lining material.

Are you trying to explore the outer limits of your comfort threshold? My goodness that's masochistic, here I am complaining about the stiffness of skived CXL and 14oz raw denim jeans, lol.

Hh121

Banned
Are you trying to explore the outer limits of your comfort threshold? My goodness that's masochistic, here I am complaining about the stiffness of skived CXL and 14oz raw denim jeans, lol.
I don't feel any discomfort, otherwise why I spend money and time making those jackets?
The leather won't make you uncomfortable, but the pattern will, just my personal experience.

roadking04

Practically Family
Lol, 6oz is the sweet spot for me!I need to decide between j82 and straight zipper CHP as I have both pattern and exact measurement ready. I also send 12 oz bull denim to Shawn as a lining material.

Sounds Awesome. can't wait to see which one you end up with. I am assuming the J82 is a cross zip? Would love to see you back on the dark side with some M/C jackets again.

Kubatu

A-List Customer
Seeing all this progress on leather is awesome. I've held off on going through with an order because I've not been super impressed with the leather offerings, but after these developments, I think I'm going to take the plunge.

TheDonEffect

Practically Family
I don't feel any discomfort, otherwise why I spend money and time making those jackets?
The leather won't make you uncomfortable, but the pattern will, just my personal experience.

Hey if it works for you, that's great. For what it's worth, these days I generally wear gym clothes 90% of the time, so even wearing a normal cotton tshirt feels less comfortable, so I'm very decadent by comparison, lol.

As far as the leather goes, I can't imagine a 5oz leather being as comfortable than say a soft lambskin. Much more beautiful and interesting for sure, and for riding much more protective, but comfortable? I mean the weight alone will make it less comfortable, let along the stiffness. I hear this alot from the raw denim guys, it's all about the cut and it's comfortable! More comfortable than stretch jeans?

But then again, I'm not exactly a thin person either, so clothes generally don't comfortably fit me as well regardless. For a brief period in my life when I was thin, I did note that clothes in general was more comfortable.

PilotJens

One of the Regulars
If I see anymore photos with that messed up camera I will buy him a camera or heck send him my digital camera from 2008 .

The leather is difficult to bend and push flat.
Normally you can bunsh up the leather to make it easier to handle but you can't do that with such heavy and stiff leather.

I asked him about selling me some of the leather for a boot and he agreed .His first batch was already gone 200feet .

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
Progress pics of the 2.2mm Halfbelt. Grainy but I can see that the pocket placement and start point for the main zip is correct (also elastic for the full AB). Apparently this is day three of its construction. Shawn described working with this leather as “extremely difficult” and it required the purchase of a new sewing machine! He has promised to make me my best jacket…I believe him.
View attachment 340346 View attachment 340347 View attachment 340348 View attachment 340349
body briefcase tier I bet. :) good luck with the project!! what color is the leather? Blue?

about the elastic, I wonder which config is better a parallel like that = or crossed X

body briefcase tier I bet. :) good luck with the project!! what color is the leather? Blue?

about the elastic, I wonder which config is better a parallel like that = or crossed X
LOL! Yeah it’s actually neon Orange but…cameras and lighting:D
Not sure about how much the elastic will realistically do against this weight. I can’t imagine much. Maybe a 6” wide strap would…That said anything this heavy absolutely demands a full AB. I wouldn’t know how to spec it otherwise.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points