Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Five Star Leather Jackets

Webafile

One of the Regulars
TBH, I don't think the CHL can achieve the drape you need for this coat. It does look a lot softer in Shawn's newest photos. But I can only base my guesses on what I have now. The 1.7mm tan version CHL can get you almost there. The 2.2mm brown CHL definitely NO. The 2.0mm black CHL needs to be as soft or softer than 1.7mm CHL to work for your coat.

Does anyone has an actual sample of the new black CHL? like a small cut piece? Please share!

Well I'm hoping that the fact that this is 2mm and Y2 leather car coats are also 2mm but heavy horse that it would be about the same. I'm also one of those people that loves heavy jackets and when I tried on Y2 leather 1mm pony hide did not like the feel as compared to my 1.6mm horse. But then again not sure how different this will be

TheDonEffect

Practically Family
My incoming cossack, half belt, concoction thing:

DSC_1996.jpg DSC_2003.jpg

I love the two rectangle stitching detail next to the locker loop...

20210831_175739.jpg 20210830_181447.jpg

Pretty trick way to attach a hood, I was thinking he was going to sew on the buttons onto the jacket, and have holes on the hood (I specified normal buttons, no snap buttons or zipper since they can get irritating) and I was totally surprised that he did it this way, so cool.

20210830_181914.jpg 20210830_182520.jpg 20210830_182528.jpg 20210830_182542.jpg DSC_2010.jpg

Had to throw this picture in, I find it hilarious, lol.

DSC_2008.jpg

Initial thoughts:

The photos that appear brown and not burgundy I think will be a more accurate representation of the color comparing it to what others have posted, so I'm stoked about the color.

The leather seems more flexible comparing these photos to what others have posted, dare I say there may even be some drape action. This has been skived down to 2.5-3oz, I didn't get a picture of the actual thickness measurement, I should've asked, but IIRC it was supposed to be 1.3-1.5mm, which looks about right.

Looking over the high res images, I'm excited about the graining and character of the leather already, as they worked on the jacket it must've broke in showing some of the graining so I'm excited about that. The sheen and everything looks where I want it.

Only criticisms are the half belt appears too high, I did want a higher waist adjuster but it's a bit too high, and the hand pockets could use a little more angle. Frankly, I'm fine with both, but if I were to make another one those are really the only changes I make. And I wish they had more button options, like a nice two hole cat eye button would've really sent this thing home, but Shawn said he can't source those. I remember finding those buttons are rather difficult.

Construction appears good, not going to get into the minutia of construction, but overall I am pleased and satisfied, frankly it looks really good.

So overall, I am super excited to get this in, should be here in a week. Can't wait to see it side by side with my JL Horween CXL jacket (black overdye, also skived) to compare the hides.

I realized living in the bay area I don't really need to layer up, so a removable hood is all I really need since I'm not into fur collars and such. Man, I regret not asking but I wanted to add a zippered pouch to the inside lower back area so I can stow the hood, that would've been super trick.

Anyway, now the week long wait.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
And I wish they had more button options, like a nice two hole cat eye button would've really sent this thing home, but Shawn said he can't source those. I remember finding those buttons are rather difficult.

Those are indeed pretty much impossible to find. I've searched the internet back and forth but all I found were either plastic shiny ones, or nice chorizo ones with a minimum order quantity of 1000+.

I ended up buying a couple of used Ralph Lauren cardigans to serve as button donors.

408D430D-0131-4A7D-981F-E689D3F6AC33.jpeg

Bahabp100

Practically Family

View attachment 358215 View attachment 358216

View attachment 358217 View attachment 358252

Pretty trick way to attach a hood, I was thinking he was going to sew on the buttons onto the jacket, and have holes on the hood (I specified normal buttons, no snap buttons or zipper since they can get irritating) and I was totally surprised that he did it this way, so cool.

View attachment 358253 View attachment 358256 View attachment 358257 View attachment 358258 View attachment 358259

View attachment 358260

Initial thoughts:

The photos that appear brown and not burgundy I think will be a more accurate representation of the color comparing it to what others have posted, so I'm stoked about the color.

The leather seems more flexible comparing these photos to what others have posted, dare I say there may even be some drape action. This has been skived down to 2.5-3oz, I didn't get a picture of the actual thickness measurement, I should've asked, but IIRC it was supposed to be 1.3-1.5mm, which looks about right.

Looking over the high res images, I'm excited about the graining and character of the leather already, as they worked on the jacket it must've broke in showing some of the graining so I'm excited about that. The sheen and everything looks where I want it.

Only criticisms are the half belt appears too high, I did want a higher waist adjuster but it's a bit too high, and the hand pockets could use a little more angle. Frankly, I'm fine with both, but if I were to make another one those are really the only changes I make. And I wish they had more button options, like a nice two hole cat eye button would've really sent this thing home, but Shawn said he can't source those. I remember finding those buttons are rather difficult.

Construction appears good, not going to get into the minutia of construction, but overall I am pleased and satisfied, frankly it looks really good.

So overall, I am super excited to get this in, should be here in a week. Can't wait to see it side by side with my JL Horween CXL jacket (black overdye, also skived) to compare the hides.

I realized living in the bay area I don't really need to layer up, so a removable hood is all I really need since I'm not into fur collars and such. Man, I regret not asking but I wanted to add a zippered pouch to the inside lower back area so I can stow the hood, that would've been super trick.

What lining is that ?

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up

View attachment 358215 View attachment 358216

View attachment 358217 View attachment 358252

View attachment 358253 View attachment 358256 View attachment 358257 View attachment 358258 View attachment 358259

View attachment 358260

Initial thoughts:

The Hoodie! I've been wanting to add a removable hoodie to my jackets since the beginning of times but I didn't know it was possible until now! So Shawn has the hoodie parts? I think I will wait till he sends me the QC photos to tell him I want to add the hoodie. I don't want to send him anymore confusing emails for now.

Also I think you will like the thinner weight. The CHL or CXL or any heavy waxed leather wears a lot better if it were medium weight instead of heavyweight. Good choice.

Still can't get over the hoodie.

It's brown, not burgundy.

TheDonEffect

Practically Family
I love your lining choice!
If it’s not cold here in LA, I’m in shorts and a Reyn Spooner. You’re giving me ideas...
View attachment 358269

Thank you, it's sorta a thing I do with all my jackets. In Long Beach, there's a great little fabric store that carries pretty much only Hawaiian print.

What lining is that ?

I sent Shawn my own fabric, I sourced it from Etsy, I believe it's cotton sateen but tbh I forgot, lol.

Originally I thought it was more blue or teal, then that showed up, and I figured I waited long enough for it so I said F it, green it is, and off it went. The color sorta fits the mood of the jacket, but the blue would've matched my stitching better.

The Hoodie! I've been wanting to add a removable hoodie to my jackets since the beginning of times but I didn't know it was possible until now! So Shawn has the hoodie parts? I think I will wait till he sends me the QC photos to tell him I want to add the hoodie. I don't want to send him anymore confusing emails for now.

Also I think you will like the thinner weight. The CHL or CXL or any heavy waxed leather wears a lot better if it were medium weight instead of heavyweight. Good choice.

Still can't get over the hoodie.

It's brown, not burgundy.

So I asked Shawn if he could make a detachable hoody, I figured since he does a ton of factory work he probably had to make them at some point, plus I saw that he makes fabric goods as well, so he said absolutely and asked me for the specs, so I speced cotton (so it's machine washable), sent him a picture of the sort of hoody I wanted because I like that three panel design vs the typical two panel, and asked him to have it attached via traditional buttons not snap buttons and def not zipper, and told him to use three or four buttons whatever he thinks will work best.

Now as I mentioned, I was fully expecting him to just sew the buttons onto the jacket and have holes/loops on the hood, that's the way I've seen it done on virtually every other jacket that wasn't zippered in. Then he sends me these pics and I was floored, what a great solution, when the hood is off you can't tell anything is supposed to be there, the stitching is a nice subtle marker, and if the button ever comes off it's much easier to fix it on the hood side than leather.

Yeah, I'm feeling pretty good about the leather choice, hopefully by skiving it down to a much more normal leather thickness we can have a better understanding of the leather since so far we've been looking at the equivalent of 5-6oz, I mean Horween 3oz is already plenty stiff as it is.

My JL Horween was skived to 2.25-2.5oz, so it's already thinner than what you would get from say Aero, so I am anxious to see what this CHL is going to look like. Judging from the photos it looks much more malleable.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Inspired by @TheDonEffect latest jacket, I emailed Shawn about detachable hoodie that can fit onto existing 5Star jackets with detachable fur collars. Just like the Carhartt detachable hoodie. I will probably wax it when I get them to make them water repellent.

detachable hoodie.jpg

Bahabp100

Practically Family
Inspired by @TheDonEffect latest jacket, I emailed Shawn about detachable hoodie that can fit onto existing 5Star jackets with detachable fur collars. Just like the Carhartt detachable hoodie. I will probably wax it when I get them to make them water repellent.

View attachment 358780
Do you think it’s possible to do a reversible detachable collar for a trucker jacket . One side is mouton , one side shearling . Could it function? If so could you want to design it so I could ask Shawn because he didn’t understand what I meant I dont think . Thanks !

TheDonEffect

Practically Family

View attachment 358780

That escalated quickly, lol. Nice designs. I am a simple man, really the hood for me is just for warmth and I want it to be machine washable for ease, if it's raining I have my go to storm jackets I always wear which are alot more practical then this leather jacket will be.

Now that I think about it, I'm a bit concerned it'll shrink in the drier...

ojaw

A-List Customer
That escalated quickly, lol. Nice designs. I am a simple man, really the hood for me is just for warmth and I want it to be machine washable for ease, if it's raining I have my go to storm jackets I always wear which are alot more practical then this leather jacket will be.

Could request a prewash from Shawn before the hood is assembled.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Do you think it’s possible to do a reversible detachable collar for a trucker jacket . One side is mouton , one side shearling . Could it function? If so could you want to design it so I could ask Shawn because he didn’t understand what I meant I dont think . Thanks !

Do you mean something like this:
collar change trucker.jpg

^^^This is what I got cooking with Johnson Leathers right now. Just put in the order this week so it'd be a few months before I get it. 5Star might be faster. And I do plan on doing this in Shawn's black goat in the future. It's just I got a few things with him now already so I am gonna wait until I get those first before sending him more stuff that might be confusing.

Basically a standard trucker jacket design, but instead of standard dress (point) collar, it would come in band (cafe racer) collar with male snaps. And Two additional collars, one all leather point collar, one fur collar. The idea is so I get three jackets in one. Leather bike jacket with racer collar. Leather Canadian Tuxedo with leather dress collar. Winter Canadian Tuxedo with the fur collar.

One thing I've learned about the snaps is get a few extra female snap cover to put on the male snaps when not using the collars, so it's more comfortable with t shirt on.

@Jin431 suggested me to get zipped / snap cuff combo, which I left out with JL the first time around but will definitely do when my production queue comes up. The current trucker jacket has the sleeve placket already, just add zipper for air tight, and the zipper pull can get covered up by the snap cuff. Some vintage bikers has the zipped and then flat over snap cuff.

Yeah, leather soaks up a lot of water and the jacket will get super heavy. And the CHL already pretty heavy. Hoodies are super useful in everyday life. I would line dry anything I worry about shrinkage. And hoodie being so small they dry fast even without the dryer.

Bahabp100

Practically Family
Thanks for replying. I was thinking of a reversible removable mouton on one side shearling on the other, for a leather trucker with Shawn . I’ve made a crude attempt of visually describing it below but I’m not sure if the snaps will line up / need extra snaps etc. Thank You very Much for all you help . If you can help Sean visualize that would be very helpful thanks again
07133FF2-3648-42DD-976F-B4D7135E01D8.jpeg

View attachment 359021 [/QUOTE] I have cribbed the collar “template” from a recent make your own collar thread so Thank You to @Mysteryo as well

Last edited:

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for replying. I was thinking of a reversible removable mouton on one side shearling on the other, for a leather trucker with Shawn . I’ve made a crude attempt of visually describing it below but I’m not sure if the snaps will line up / need extra snaps etc. Thank You very Much for all you help . If you can help Sean visualize that would be very helpful thanks again View attachment 359052

View attachment 359021
I have cribbed the collar “template” from a recent make your own collar thread so Thank You to @Mysteryo as well[/QUOTE]

@Bahabp100 Just to check the wording on the leather. Do you mean the fur side or the smooth leather side when you say black shearling? Also I am not sure if Shawn has black fur, I am not sure. And his grey mouton is more like grey brown.

grey mouton.jpg

Your “hoodie” project reminds me of this jacket which I’ve been drooling over for awhile.
View attachment 359100
View attachment 359101
I wonder if Shawn can source some cool ethnic fabrics from the region to make liners and hoods.

The coolest fabric I've seen from Shawn so far was his flying tigers camo stripes. And I am not sure if he sourced it or his customer sent to him like @TheDonEffect Hawaiian fabric.

The hoodie you got there is a lot like the Pendleton Jacquards. Their factory store sells ends for like 15 bucks a yard. And that would be plenty for body lining and hood.

IMG_3183.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk