Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Five Star Leather Jackets

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here for comparison my Aero Coastal Command.
The surface is different from 5*. Softer, no varnish. But I like both.
B89BEE2D-2818-40B2-B85E-1CC36D1D73A1.jpeg
D2C61EC4-95D8-4FEF-8BE1-3717FFCFC91A.jpeg
A9B3D5FB-F3CE-47AC-892E-0167A7CBCEB8.jpeg
6CA198D6-98F2-4797-91B9-8257ED55D796.jpeg

f2002q

One of the Regulars
Show her expensive ones from Aero and Cockpit USA prices first, then the 5Star. I did that to convince myself to justify for this one. It's expensive but felt like a good deal.

Definitely, I will start with Aero and Eastman. After a bit, I'll show her the Cockpit USA one. Follow up attack with Lost Worlds, etc. Then I'll show her the 5 Star offerings. Mwahahaha...

f2002q

One of the Regulars
Show her expensive ones from Aero and Cockpit USA prices first, then the 5Star. I did that to convince myself to justify for this one. It's expensive but felt like a good deal.

Definitely, I will start with Aero and Eastman. After a bit, I'll show her the Cockpit USA one. Follow up attack with Lost Worlds, etc. Then I'll show her the 5 Star offerings. Mwahahaha...

Step 1 and 2 in the 5 Star smoke “make leather look better” process. I’m going slower. I sprayed the jacket down with rubbing alcohol, enough to remove the pinkish topcoat. Wiped all that gunk off and oiled with obernaufs. I want this to look true to a 70’s East/west, so it needs to be burnished in some spots and super light in others. Next up is 1200 grit sand paper, soak in tub and more oil. Final step (hopefully) will be a skim coat of Urad, that I will water down.
Before:
1B2EED59-CBC6-4FF7-9F83-05D34EC2CCC9.jpeg

After alcohol and oil (My kinda Friday):

3EC7337E-C72F-4729-ADE5-4618DE1D4FB7.jpeg

f2002q

One of the Regulars
Step 1 and 2 in the 5 Star smoke “make leather look better” process. I’m going slower. I sprayed the jacket down with rubbing alcohol, enough to remove the pinkish topcoat. Wiped all that gunk off and oiled with obernaufs. I want this to look true to a 70’s East/west, so it needs to be burnished in some spots and super light in others. Next up is 1200 grit sand paper, soak in tub and more oil. Final step (hopefully) will be a skim coat of Urad, that I will water down.
Before:
View attachment 376106
After alcohol and oil (My kinda Friday):

View attachment 376098

You guys are KILLING ME with these 5 Start jackets... @ton312 that brown jacket is smoking !!

The rubbing alcohol left too much of whatever awful pinkish red is applied to this hide. Out comes the acetone. Worked well. Instantly stripped it. I coated with oil again and let sit in the sun. Some burnishing around the seams is now visible. It’s definitely getting there but not there yet. the real challenge will be the stove pipe sleeves. They are two piece single seam, so there’s not much to work with.
the interesting part is that with the red stripped out, it actually smells like leather.
5F687B15-E71C-4C1A-8BF0-C81C4EB8EA3A.jpeg

MrProper

The rubbing alcohol left too much of whatever awful pinkish red is applied to this hide. Out comes the acetone. Worked well. Instantly stripped it. I coated with oil again and let sit in the sun. Some burnishing around the seams is now visible. It’s definitely getting there but not there yet. the real challenge will be the stove pipe sleeves. They are two piece single seam, so there’s not much to work with.
the interesting part is that with the red stripped out, it actually smells like leather.
View attachment 376323

I think I need to try this with my trucker too. The color is russet (chocolate in fact) and the top coat is way too thick. Feels too much like plastic.
Commercial acetone and then greasing?

I think I need to try this with my trucker too. The color is russet (chocolate in fact) and the top coat is way too thick. Feels too much like plastic.
Commercial acetone and then greasing?
That’s the recipe! Surprisingly, my russet steer was actual yellow core, so I had to dye it. This one seems to be a darker brown core, so I’m kind of experimenting with how many layers of the pumpkin I want to peel back.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
View attachment 376323
I'd be extremely satisfied with this result already. How did you get Shawn's flat russet to look like this premium stuff? It looks better than my veg tan stuff. What sorcery is this!

I'd be extremely satisfied with this result already. How did you get Shawn's flat russet to look like this premium stuff? It looks better than my veg tan stuff. What sorcery is this!
Day 3. I can’t do anymore acetone. I have sacrificed many brain cells and years of life. LOL. Now I just need to skim coat with dark brown URAD and I think I’m good. I never did soak this one. Not sure if it matters much.
I’m hoping the Urad will just slightly darken it overall. If I go any further with distressing it, it will be too far.
I’m super on the fence about diluting some fieblings cordo and giving it a wash.
51D85568-19DA-4FB4-A12D-49B7E43CFA6C.jpeg

red devil

Day 3. I can’t do anymore acetone. I have sacrificed many brain cells and years of life. LOL. Now I just need to skim coat with dark brown URAD and I think I’m good. I never did soak this one. Not sure if it matters much.
I’m hoping the Urad will just slightly darken it overall. If I go any further with distressing it, it will be too far.
I’m super on the fence about diluting some fieblings cordo and giving it a wash.
View attachment 376565

If you can give it a red tinge as your darken it, would be really nice I think.

For me, some cognac tint would look better than cordo here. I would also go 2 coats of Obenaufs before the Urad seals the color, but that would add a week or so to your project.

Last edited:

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
View attachment 376565
It's looking really good already. Shawn needs to get your receipe for his conic goats. This is so much better. Great work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk