Five Star Leather Jackets

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead, Sep 23, 2020.

1. TheDonEffect

TheDonEffect A-List Customer

In my experience, he's always been reasonably responsive, generally when I send emails for more complex matters like going back and forth on the specs of a jacket, I keep the email as succinct as possible and list out my questions, makes it easier on the other end to just simply respond to the questions, yes no maybe can cant $2 etc. I also try to bunch my questions, so instead of sending one question at a time, I try to think about everything I need and send them all at once.

2. MoFo

MoFo Familiar Face

My new Five Star A-2 Werber Seal Premium Goat 20211015_074512.jpg 20211015_075154.jpg 20211015_075212.jpg 20211015_075234.jpg

Jin431, Zoo, ton312 and 7 others like this.
  3. Aloysius

Aloysius A-List Customer

Mr Proper, a member on this server, has a great Five Star goatskin trucker.

Some notes: Their buttons are not particularly well suited to this, so many people have been asking for cut buttonholes, but no buttons, so they can have a local leather firm attach buttons.

What's your budget for this jacket? I ask because Aero produced Levi's Vintage Clothing's leather Type III, and Levi's gave them permission to keep producing the design. You can get it both from Aero directly or from Thurston Bros, their US dealer which may have some in stock.

Canuck Panda likes this.
  4. Aloysius

Aloysius A-List Customer

The Aero is literally built on the Levi's archive patterns in partnership with Levi's…

Like it or not to say it doesn't look like the Levi's design is ridiculous as a matter of fact.

In any case you should be able to get some good metal shank buttons to use.

Canuck Panda likes this.
  5. Canuck Panda

Canuck Panda Practically Family

Shawn's trucker is gonna have more modern cut than Aeros.

Aero's cut is gonna be as close to the first type 3 as possible back in the late 50s/early 60s? Not sure the exact date, but very long ago.

Good thing with Shawn is that you can customize measurements. So vintage look with modern fit. Please don't judge me for this. People were sized differently 80 years ago.

And my theory with the funny response is because of google translate. This happens a lot with a lot of places. But it's also nice we don't all speak just one language. Makes the world more interesting.

Cornelius, ton312 and gateway pundit like this.
  6. bn1966

bn1966 Call Me a Cab

I had 5* make me a deerskin Trucker, measurements from a cotton Levi type three jacket that fitted well.

F8D4A6F9-E589-4474-A53E-E6C6F2766004.jpeg

7. ton312

ton312

What in that actual Hell happened here? Let’s please not get this thread locked, it’s essentially launched 5 Stars business and it’s a valuable tool for members seeking a build from this company!

Bartender Edit: A new member with, it would seem, little in the way of social graces, chose to use language unacceptable in these parts. Said individual has been shown the door. As you were, gents.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2021
    MoFo, Cornelius, Marc mndt and 7 others like this.
  8. Edward

Edward Bartender

They're an interesting outfit, Five Star. Nothing that's tempted me for what I want for my own collection thus far, but I have now discovered the black goat G1 they do. Not something I'd want to spend big boy money on, but at their pricing it is very tempting to pic up one of those for kicking about in. Has anyone any experience with that model? IT's a jacket I'm sure I could get from one of my normal options, but just not sure I'd wear it often enough to justify that spend rather than this level which is a bit more 'Wested' in price.

9. MrProper

MrProper One Too Many

If I observed it correctly, @4444Design has several G1 of 5* and can certainly say something there.
    Black Premium Goat is certainly the recommendation for a jacket of 5*. Or the Shearling. I like that.

Edward likes this.
  10. Edward

Edward Bartender

It's the goat I really like the look of. Truth be told I started recently keeping half a lazy eye open for an eBay deal on a black Schott 184 - bit of a rockabilly/civilianised vibe that's also different than a cross-zip and has the mouton, but these are cheaper new than those go for used, and for something I might just not wear as often as other jackets...

Thanks.

MrProper likes this.
  11. f2002q

f2002q Familiar Face

Looking at this conversation, 5 Star is looking very good for my next jacket. I'm thinking G1 but with real thick goatskin, dyed completely seal brown.
    I work with a lot of Navy guys, and just showing up with a G1 like that will turn heads, LOL.

Canuck Panda likes this.
  12. Kevin the Devon

Kevin the Devon New in Town

13. bn1966

bn1966 Call Me a Cab

Shawn’s currently running a win a jacket competition on FB.

You need to post a picture of yourself wearing one of his creations to enter.

ton312 and MoFo like this.
  14. aries-buzhor

aries-buzhor New in Town

The jacket looks good to me.
    Do you have idea if they can change collar shape to more rounded one as with Aero Irvin?

15. MrProper

MrProper One Too Many

What jacket are you talking about?
    But basically I would say Shawn can make any shape you want. As long as you are very detailed and specific about what you want.

16. aries-buzhor

aries-buzhor New in Town

Thank you for reply Mr Proper.
    As soon as I'm ready will negotiate for customisation.
    Best regards.

17. Canuck Panda

Canuck Panda Practically Family

Winter is coming...

20211023_185230.jpg

18. Aloysius

Aloysius A-List Customer

Looks like Shawn has gotten hold of originals of a few of the vintage double riders in Tanaka's book, with a J.C. Penney Two Star set for release soon.

Given that it's patterned from an original, if the size grading works well this could be a great go-to rider recommendation.

roadking04 likes this.
  19. MrProper

MrProper One Too Many

There were some helpers from the VLJ and there was also someone sending originals to Shawn.

Aloysius likes this.