Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Five Star Leather Jackets

TheDonEffect

Practically Family
In my experience, he's always been reasonably responsive, generally when I send emails for more complex matters like going back and forth on the specs of a jacket, I keep the email as succinct as possible and list out my questions, makes it easier on the other end to just simply respond to the questions, yes no maybe can cant $2 etc. I also try to bunch my questions, so instead of sending one question at a time, I try to think about everything I need and send them all at once.

MoFo

Familiar Face
My new Five Star A-2 Werber Seal Premium Goat
20211015_074512.jpg
20211015_075154.jpg
20211015_075212.jpg
20211015_075234.jpg

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks for the inspiring thread! I contacted 5 star about creating a jacket for me, since I've never found an off-the-rack jacket that fits. Did my best with the measurements, and converted to metric. I asked for a levis type 3 trucker (style that best fits me), and they state they have the original pattern. I am having it made is buffalo hide, with a dark brown poly diamond lining, and dark brown name tag. Hoping they pull this off well. I've never had a jacket made before, anything else I should ask for or keep in mind? Thanks.

View attachment 369593 View attachment 369596 View attachment 369597 View attachment 369598

Mr Proper, a member on this server, has a great Five Star goatskin trucker.

Some notes: Their buttons are not particularly well suited to this, so many people have been asking for cut buttonholes, but no buttons, so they can have a local leather firm attach buttons.

What's your budget for this jacket? I ask because Aero produced Levi's Vintage Clothing's leather Type III, and Levi's gave them permission to keep producing the design. You can get it both from Aero directly or from Thurston Bros, their US dealer which may have some in stock.

Aloysius

Does not look levis design to me, which i much prefer.

The Aero is literally built on the Levi's archive patterns in partnership with Levi's…

Like it or not to say it doesn't look like the Levi's design is ridiculous as a matter of fact.

In any case you should be able to get some good metal shank buttons to use.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Shawn's trucker is gonna have more modern cut than Aeros.

Aero's cut is gonna be as close to the first type 3 as possible back in the late 50s/early 60s? Not sure the exact date, but very long ago.

Good thing with Shawn is that you can customize measurements. So vintage look with modern fit. Please don't judge me for this. People were sized differently 80 years ago.

And my theory with the funny response is because of google translate. This happens a lot with a lot of places. But it's also nice we don't all speak just one language. Makes the world more interesting.

bn1966

Thanks for the inspiring thread! I contacted 5 star about creating a jacket for me, since I've never found an off-the-rack jacket that fits. Did my best with the measurements, and converted to metric. I asked for a levis type 3 trucker (style that best fits me), and they state they have the original pattern. I am having it made is buffalo hide, with a dark brown poly diamond lining, and dark brown name tag. Hoping they pull this off well. I've never had a jacket made before, anything else I should ask for or keep in mind? Thanks.

View attachment 369593 View attachment 369596 View attachment 369597 View attachment 369598

I had 5* make me a deerskin Trucker, measurements from a cotton Levi type three jacket that fitted well.

F8D4A6F9-E589-4474-A53E-E6C6F2766004.jpeg

What in that actual Hell happened here? Let’s please not get this thread locked, it’s essentially launched 5 Stars business and it’s a valuable tool for members seeking a build from this company!

Bartender Edit: A new member with, it would seem, little in the way of social graces, chose to use language unacceptable in these parts. Said individual has been shown the door. As you were, gents.

Last edited by a moderator:

Edward

Bartender
They're an interesting outfit, Five Star. Nothing that's tempted me for what I want for my own collection thus far, but I have now discovered the black goat G1 they do. Not something I'd want to spend big boy money on, but at their pricing it is very tempting to pic up one of those for kicking about in. Has anyone any experience with that model? IT's a jacket I'm sure I could get from one of my normal options, but just not sure I'd wear it often enough to justify that spend rather than this level which is a bit more 'Wested' in price.

MrProper

They're an interesting outfit, Five Star. Nothing that's tempted me for what I want for my own collection thus far, but I have now discovered the black goat G1 they do. Not something I'd want to spend big boy money on, but at their pricing it is very tempting to pic up one of those for kicking about in. Has anyone any experience with that model? IT's a jacket I'm sure I could get from one of my normal options, but just not sure I'd wear it often enough to justify that spend rather than this level which is a bit more 'Wested' in price.
If I observed it correctly, @4444Design has several G1 of 5* and can certainly say something there.
Black Premium Goat is certainly the recommendation for a jacket of 5*. Or the Shearling. I like that.

Edward

Bartender
If I observed it correctly, @4444Design has several G1 of 5* and can certainly say something there.
Black Premium Goat is certainly the recommendation for a jacket of 5*. Or the Shearling. I like that.

It's the goat I really like the look of. Truth be told I started recently keeping half a lazy eye open for an eBay deal on a black Schott 184 - bit of a rockabilly/civilianised vibe that's also different than a cross-zip and has the mouton, but these are cheaper new than those go for used, and for something I might just not wear as often as other jackets...

Thanks.

f2002q

One of the Regulars
Looking at this conversation, 5 Star is looking very good for my next jacket. I'm thinking G1 but with real thick goatskin, dyed completely seal brown.
I work with a lot of Navy guys, and just showing up with a G1 like that will turn heads, LOL.

bn1966

Shawn’s currently running a win a jacket competition on FB.

You need to post a picture of yourself wearing one of his creations to enter.

MrProper

The jacket looks good to me.
Do you have idea if they can change collar shape to more rounded one as with Aero Irvin?

What jacket are you talking about?
But basically I would say Shawn can make any shape you want. As long as you are very detailed and specific about what you want.

Aloysius

Looks like Shawn has gotten hold of originals of a few of the vintage double riders in Tanaka's book, with a J.C. Penney Two Star set for release soon.

Given that it's patterned from an original, if the size grading works well this could be a great go-to rider recommendation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leatherpatch