Five Star Leather Jackets

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead, Sep 23, 2020.

1. MrProper

MrProper One Too Many

He wanted it for his birthday. It wasn't my idea, but he said he wanted a leather jacket like the one I have.
    99E0B0F2-94D6-46B1-9DA1-C465B3F570ED.jpeg

2. Bfd70

Bfd70 Call Me a Cab

He nailed the fit the first time out!!!!!

MrProper likes this.
  3. Jhonnybebueno

Jhonnybebueno New in Town

torfjord, photo2u, Riu and 12 others like this.
  4. Jhonnybebueno

Hahaha he looks as cool as his dad!!

MrProper likes this.
  5. Kenneth Blake

Kenneth Blake New in Town

Hey there,

Out of curiosity did you provide measurements or did you take the jacket with stock measurements and, if so, which size did you choose? I'm guess an L or XL. I just ordered this in an L. Thanks!!

6. Zangy003

Zangy003 One of the Regulars

That's really awesome. The only problem is... he grows very fast so you'll have to get plenty of new ones made! :D

7. Hobbes1

Hobbes1 One of the Regulars

hello. All of my jackets have been custom sizing with my measurements. 5* doesn’t have any OTR that seem quite right to me, for my frame. Good luck with yours!

8. Aloysius

Aloysius A-List Customer

9. Kenneth Blake

Kenneth Blake New in Town

What leather is this? It's gorgeous.

10. Jhonnybebueno

Well I did ask Shawn if there was the option of curlier fleece like "Devon fleece", but he told me that at the moment they didn't have that option. So basically, the jacket was made (to my knowledge) with the sheepskin leather they're currently using for Irvin jackets, although it certainly is curlier than what I was expecting, and I absolutely love it!!!

Zoo, leper-colony and Aloysius like this.
  11. Bahabp100

Bahabp100 Practically Family

Here’s a couple label options that Shawn offered me from Five Star
    AC4FAB75-3873-4715-AE11-0826BFF6880B.jpeg

Jin431 and Canuck Panda like this.
  12. Hobbes1

I had a recent message from Shawn stating that the CHL thick leather has been "specially treated" to make it easier to wear. I told him mine from just a couple months ago is still fighting me. He says it's better now. Hmmmmmmmm..

ton312, Canuck Panda and Jin431 like this.
  13. Hh121

Hh121 Call Me a Cab

What you are fighting with is the pattern, not the leather I am afraid.

14. Hobbes1

yes, the leather itself. Very stiff and resistant to breaking in. The pattern is fine, imho.

Hh121 likes this.
  15. Hobbes1

Hi all. I'm thinking about another jacket from 5*. These are hide options I've been sent by Shawn (pics, not the leather itself). I have a jacket from them in Premium black goat, one in Seal steerhide and one in the "infamous" CHL tan. Can anyone provide any feedback pro/con on any of these, pictured? I liked the color of the tan CHL but not the leather itself. I also liked the Premium Goat in black but not sure I want another black jacket. I tend to prefer either a sort of medium brown, black or cordovan (darker red). One of these seems particularly interesting and that is the Vintage Nubuck 1930.

Thanks for any thoughts/feedback.

upload_2022-1-11_13-14-45.png

upload_2022-1-11_13-15-2.png

upload_2022-1-11_13-15-14.png

16. Mrkurtz

Mrkurtz New in Town

Why not premium goat in seal then?

Hobbes1 and MoFo like this.
  17. Hobbes1

Yep, that is a consideration. TBH, Seal color is nearly black from what I can tell so, trying to decide on a color with a different look. I a!so dont want a top coat and the first jacket I got from them has that squeaky topcoat. It is a seal steerhide. I definitely wiill not get that one sgain.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
  18. Mrkurtz

Mrkurtz New in Town

I have one in seal premium goat. I live in Los Angeles. If you are in Southern California you are welcome to come over and check it out.

19. Hobbes1

Hey! Thank you for the offer. I'm on the opposite coast though, so I can not take you up on that. Cheers!

20. Canuck Panda

Canuck Panda Practically Family

@Hobbes1 Shawn's seal goat is very very dark grey brown. Anthracite type color. But it wears to show some lighter shades underneath.

5Star Speedster Seal Goat 001.jpg
    The black is just black all the way through. I personally prefer the seal because it can swing two ways. If you do decide to go goat instead of steer, make sure you ask for the thickest goat skin. It feels so much more premium than the thinner one.

ton312, Hobbes1 and born113 like this.