Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Five Star Leather Jackets

Beast

New in Town
Quick question about the 5star sizing charts. Do their jackets run large or small? I'm normally an XL, but when I look at their sizing charts I'd be better off with an L?
Or am I overlooking something and should just go with an XL?

Just arrived and I immediately threw it on. It’s nice!! Shawn has improved his leather and his hardware by quite a bit! This is no lightweight cow. 6.5lbs, feels like Schott naked or Natal naked cow. Has that black licorice feel. All drape, kind of like deerskin in a way. Turned out great! I’ll have to get better pics but snapped these before the sun vanished.
9117521B-0EC9-491C-84D4-572363F83038.jpeg
22141B7C-D7E9-4E4A-92AD-41A7DD84ED99.jpeg
1E432B66-35DD-4212-99E3-CC12AB765FA1.jpeg
BF341B23-1D27-470A-B900-92338A17C2EC.jpeg
6A4690A4-6C03-4198-974B-0C871630A88F.jpeg

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Just arrived and I immediately threw it on. It’s nice!! Shawn has improved his leather and his hardware by quite a bit! This is no lightweight cow. 6.5lbs, feels like Schott naked or Natal naked cow. Has that black licorice feel. All drape, kind of like deerskin in a way. Turned out great! I’ll have to get better pics but snapped these before the sun vanished.
View attachment 399340 View attachment 399341 View attachment 399342 View attachment 399343 View attachment 399344
Thanks for the pics.
Recommendation? Yes or no? ;-)
Not sure if halfbelts are my thing, but at least that wouldn't be a big risk. As long as there is a clear recommendation.

hughesovka

One of the Regulars
View attachment 399340 View attachment 399341 View attachment 399342 View attachment 399343 View attachment 399344
Looks awesome, what's the thickness of the leather you requested?

Thanks for the pics.
Recommendation? Yes or no? ;-)
Not sure if halfbelts are my thing, but at least that wouldn't be a big risk. As long as there is a clear recommendation.
I love it! This black steer is superb and you know well enough to request this particular batch. I would recommend, my only beef is the sleeves are a bit wide but that could be entirely my fault. I requested a wider cuff opening for gloves and I don’t want to unbutton them, ever.
Looks awesome, what's the thickness of the leather you requested?
I made no request. This is a stock jacket. I just changed the liner and cuff opening.

The fit and quality look dead on. Five Star should link here, I think this thread is the most successful unintentional marketing campaign I've ever seen
My pics are pretty terrible but I’ll certainly get better ones. This jacket def feels a tier above my others and is ironically my favorite. No hours spent meticulously obsessing over the design or the measurements. Couple tweaks and done.

Great fit!
How is the lining? Do you think it is strong enough for 5oz hide?
Dude what is!?? LOL. Actually it might be. I’ll get better pics of that too. He lined the pockets in the same stuff. Great touch. I meant to say, I think your jackets have had a positive impact on how Shawn builds all around. And it’s helped. Just feels better than my other jackets in terms of wearability.

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I love it! This black steer is superb and you know well enough to request this particular batch. I would recommend, my only beef is the sleeves are a bit wide but that could be entirely my fault. I requested a wider cuff opening for gloves and I don’t want to unbutton them, ever.

I made no request. This is a stock jacket. I just changed the liner and cuff opening.
Thank you very much. That helps me. I wish I knew when to put on all these jackets. Lol
It looks like my new lewis leathers jacket is coming next week. I'll definitely be waiting for that one.

Hh121

Banned
Dude what is!?? LOL. Actually it might be. I’ll get better pics of that too. He lined the pockets in the same stuff. Great touch. I meant to say, I think your jackets have had a positive impact on how Shawn builds all around. And it’s helped. Just feels better than my other jackets in terms of wearability.
Thanks! I am looking for forward the review and pics, I might have Horween heavy horse send to him.

Hobbes1

A-List Customer

Looks great. How squeaky is it, scale of 1-10? My steerhide from a year ago drives me nuts with squeakiness.

Hobbes1

A-List Customer
@ton312 That half belt looks GOOD!
@MrProper Once you go half belt you can't go back!
@Hh121 5oz horsehide!
@Hobbes1 The squeak might come from an oil spray as a finishing coat. I just mink oiled my jacket and it now squeaks.

I dont know…..at that time, 5* was using leather not as good as what seems to be on offer now. Mine has a topcoat, for lack of a better word that chips off. It squeaks to the point I can’t wear the jacket around my wife. She can’t stand the sound nor can I. Ive tried baby powder and tumbling in drier no heat….nothing works as a cure. Live and learn!
I’m waiting for Shawn or whoever is communicating to these days to send me pics of the horsehide on offer. Fingers crossed!

Last edited:
I dint know…..at that time, 5* was using leather not as good as what seems to be on offer now. Mine has a topcoat, for lack of a better word that chips off. It squeaks to the point I can’t wear the jacket around my wife. She can’t stand the sound nor can I. Ive tried baby powder and tumbling in drier no heat….nothing works as a cure. Live and learn!
I’m waiting for Shawn or whoever is communicating to these days to send me pics of the horsehide on offer. Dingers crossed!
One thing to note about this steer. I sprayed the sleeves with water and it absorbed it almost instantly. It really does feel and behave like a naked hide.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff