Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Five Star Leather Jackets

Hh121

Banned
Better pics of my jacket after a couple days of a proper Chicago winter. Rain and driving snow today. I like it so much I ordered its twin in brown HH. Different cuff and slimmer sleeves. I do feel Shawn has stepped up his game. All my past jackets has slight flaws. This one does not. It’s just built to a better standard.
View attachment 399757 View attachment 399758 View attachment 399759 View attachment 399760 View attachment 399761 View attachment 399762
$2k LW:
View attachment 399763
$250 5 Star. Just sayn’!
View attachment 399764
I know, I know eye roll how dare I:D
Perfect except the purple lining is little gay for me.

Perfect except the purple lining is little gay for me.
LOL!
4EAD05FF-4609-4E18-B31F-C10A467C7BC8.gif

born113

One of the Regulars
Better pics of my jacket after a couple days of a proper Chicago winter. Rain and driving snow today. I like it so much I ordered its twin in brown HH. Different cuff and slimmer sleeves. I do feel Shawn has stepped up his game. All my past jackets has slight flaws. This one does not. It’s just built to a better standard.
View attachment 399757 View attachment 399758 View attachment 399759 View attachment 399760 View attachment 399761 View attachment 399762
$2k LW:
View attachment 399763
$250 5 Star. Just sayn’!
View attachment 399764
I know, I know eye roll how dare I:D
This is a very appropriate comparison. Everything can be compared
Will your future HH be thicker than this cow?

TREEMAN

Call Me a Cab
I also ordered one of the CHL jackets but in brown, and yeah, you don't want it. It's unnecessarily thick and stiff, like belt leather. It does look great and all that, but as a garment it's pointless. I think Ton did a nice write up of the process he put his through to soften it up, but why. I think it was a defunct experiment he based on someone sending him ridiculously thick CXL and Shawn probably thought this was popular, when in fact it was very much the exception.

His new HH looks promising, saw that he just posted a black HH jacket today, so I wonder how that hide wears.

But that's sorta the risk/reward with 5*, I had a jacket that was unwearable, with little to no resale that was worth the effort to list and ship, and no recourse for return, etc. And now with the recent communication backlog, the economic gap/advantage 5* had is now diminishing.
Could you post a pic of the jacket ?

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
@ton312 Your coming brown HH 30s half belt will have a twin. It is part of my order changes with Shawn yesterday. I cancelled my black CHL leathertog custom and switched to a brown HH 30s half belt. The only custom I asked for is two chest pockets, cats eye. Shawn has acknowledged my order changes on FB msgr but has not confirm anything. I am quite curious how his brown horsehide is like. I sent him 3.5oz Horween Vermont Horsehide many many moons ago. I am hoping it is a close match. We shall see.

Image9.jpg

I've also cut back my orders with him from 5 custom jackets down to 3. And went from fully custom to stock pattern with pocket changes. Then I saw a HH custom coat he did for a customer on facebook. This is it. Sticking with my order changes and let's see how it goes.

The owner of the black horsehide custom coat please step forward and let us know:
1) How is the leather?
2) How long was your custom order?

This is the one I am talking about
273150574_3128125240799223_8149284154746524492_n.jpg

273153459_3128126327465781_8834266195170739566_n.jpg

Hobbes1

A-List Customer

Hey. So we are getting the same pattern, but the two different HH brown options. Will be interesting to see the difference between them. Fingers crossed for great results for us.

edit: did you get any info on thickness of the hides? I can not get an answer on this but not for a lack of trying! LOL

edit#2. I just got a huge photo dump from 5*. I think this jacket is mine? @ton312 as the pics look like what Shawn just sent.

Last edited:
Hey. So we are getting the same pattern, but the two different HH brown options. Will be interesting to see the difference between them. Fingers crossed for great results for us.

edit: did you get any info on thickness of the hides? I can not get an answer on this but not for a lack of trying! LOL

edit#2. I just got a huge photo dump from 5*. I think this jacket is mine? @ton312 as the pics look like what Shawn just sent.

Which jacket pattern is this one?
This is not mine. This is for Hobbes. I will use this leather for my HB though. Looks good!

Hobbes1

A-List Customer
Which jacket pattern is this or is it a custom design?

this is a custom job from 5* which is based on the Thedi Hektor style of jacket.

@ton312 this is supposed to be the “pull up” HH, not distressed. At least, that’s what Shawn’s description of is…..in case that matters to you for your project. Cheers!

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I woke up to these same images Shawn sent me. Leather grain looks natural and good. Hobbes Please tell us about the leather when you get it. Shawn only sent me the photos and didn't say much else.

crispyfresh

New in Town
Someone convince me why I should purchase the 1930's vintage custom halfbelt from Fivestar? Is it a very good jacket for the price? It looks good on the website. Thanks.

born113

One of the Regulars
Someone convince me why I should purchase the 1930's vintage custom halfbelt from Fivestar? Is it a very good jacket for the price? It looks good on the website. Thanks.
I think that the easiest and fastest way is to specify any size and pay on the site right away.
After that, you will receive an email with a strong recommendation to double-check your size.
In response to this letter, indicate all your wishes. For horsehide and any design changes you need to pay extra (on top of the base price on the site). Actually, the discussion of all the details begins with this letter :) Thus, I spent two days on the final formation of the order.
You can discuss all the details before payment, but they do not respond quickly to everyone. Although I was always answered quickly through any communication channels.
I don't know if this jacket is good. I haven't had leather jackets since the last century. For me, this is an inexpensive test option. I want to better understand my measurements in the leather. And if 5* wasn't worth the money, then there wouldn't be 235 pages of discussion in two years.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner