Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Five Star Leather Jackets

hughesovka

One of the Regulars
What exactly do I have to ask for to get cotton drill lining? Is that what the high quality 100% cotton is?

PilotJens

A-List Customer
What exactly do I have to ask for to get cotton drill lining? Is that what the high quality 100% cotton is?

Just ask for anything in that range .Heavy cotton thick cotton .Is it heavy cotton drill or twill ?

I have black and green .Pretty nice and no pilling

Imuricecreamman

One Too Many
J24 Steerhide with custom removable collar.

Attachments

• IMG-20220208-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20220208-WA0001.jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG-20220208-WA0007.jpg
    IMG-20220208-WA0007.jpg
    313.1 KB · Views: 221

born113

One of the Regulars
Better pics of my jacket after a couple days of a proper Chicago winter. Rain and driving snow today. I like it so much I ordered its twin in brown HH. Different cuff and slimmer sleeves. I do feel Shawn has stepped up his game. All my past jackets has slight flaws. This one does not. It’s just built to a better standard.
View attachment 399757 View attachment 399758 View attachment 399759 View attachment 399760 View attachment 399761 View attachment 399762
$2k LW:
View attachment 399763
$250 5 Star. Just sayn’!
View attachment 399764
I know, I know eye roll how dare I:D

Say please. What is the correlation between 5*HB size and vintage HB jacket sizes or repro HB sizes?
5* exactly matches your other jackets?

Say please. What is the correlation between 5*HB size and vintage HB jacket sizes or repro HB sizes?
5* exactly matches your other jackets?
Most of them I had custom built. My last one is a stock 44" and fits/feels like a true "modern" 44" . Don't let the numbers fool you. I could probably go down to a 42" for a tight fit in some of the patterns, despite the p2p being listed at around 21.5", which is a fair bit smaller than my actual chest, and by a decent amount.

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Most of them I had custom built. My last one is a stock 44" and fits/feels like a true "modern" 44" . Don't let the numbers fool you. I could probably go down to a 42" for a tight fit in some of the patterns, despite the p2p being listed at around 21.5", which is a fair bit smaller than my actual chest, and by a decent amount.
If you ever have time on occasion and want to do me a favor... what are the measurements of the jacket? (Or did I miss it?)
Shoulder
P2P
Waist
Hip

Because I'm guessing that with your jacket, I only need to make the body and sleeves longer, and possibly move the waist. The rest should fit.
Many thanks in advance

If you ever have time on occasion and want to do me a favor... what are the measurements of the jacket? (Or did I miss it?)
Shoulder
P2P
Waist
Hip

Because I'm guessing that with your jacket, I only need to make the body and sleeves longer, and possibly move the waist. The rest should fit.
Many thanks in advance
I’d also recommend trimming the sleeves! I’m having Dena do that for me.
Chest is 22.5”
Shoulder is 19”
Hip/waist is 21”

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I’d also recommend trimming the sleeves! I’m having Dena do that for me.
Chest is 22.5”
Shoulder is 19”
Hip/waist is 21”
Thank you very much.
I will ask Shawn which of the dimensions he can easily change. Reduce hips should not be a problem.

Hobbes1

A-List Customer
Can't to see it in real light! Please post some pics when it arrives. This leather is no longer available. 2 weeks or so before it restocks.

Yeah, I'm (nervously) awaiting seeing it in natural light. The various pictures Shawn has sent me have been all over the place, color-wise. Fingers crossed that it will be a good, wearable jacket that looks great.
Pretty sure this will be my last 5* for now. Maybe revisit in the summer to see if any new and excellent customizations are available. Maybe I'll even roll the dice for an OTR build like you have done with such great success.

Hopefully, 5* will have a good supply of HH in soon. I'm cautiously optimistic on this to see what it turns out to be.

I just really, really wish Shawn would invest in a decent camera and use it to update the website with more accurate pictures and descriptions of their products and customization options. I really think a great website would help them up to a higher level and would pay for itself many times over (not least from decreased time wasted answering so many questions). Cheers!

I just really, really wish Shawn would invest in a decent camera and use it to update the website with more accurate pictures and descriptions of their products and customization options. I really think a great website would help them up to a higher level and would pay for itself many times over (not least from decreased time wasted answering so many questions).
AMEN!

born113

One of the Regulars
I just really, really wish Shawn would invest in a decent camera and use it to update the website with more accurate pictures and descriptions of their products and customization options. I really think a great website would help them up to a higher level and would pay for itself many times over (not least from decreased time wasted answering so many questions).
And these jackets will immediately become much more expensive. Although it will happen later anyway.

Hobbes1

A-List Customer
And these jackets will immediately become much more expensive. Although it will happen later anyway.

Maybe. But if for no other reason than their own sanity (and mine!), 5* should be updating their website. There is just a huge knowledge gap between what they might have/do have/will have and what they can/can't do....
I have bought several jackets from them previously and even I had to ask multiple questions, sometimes the same questions multiple times in order to get an answer. Multiply that by who knows how many customers and it's just unmanageable. Ridiculous, even.
This current jacket is a remake of one I had ordered previously from them. Pattern on file, no changes other than the hide/thread. It's taken a month to get to the day of shipping. The jacket was built within ~24h of the moment I paid the invoice, according to the pictures I received from 5*. The rest of the time was spent asking questions about the hides, waiting for answers and correcting an error (hanger was supposed to be a chain, not leather strap). Anyway, I'm looking forward to getting it and I hope it's good....or even great!

TheDonEffect

Practically Family
Nice! I was wondering how the regular HH is, can't wait to hear your impressions on it.

To give Shawn some leeway, apparently dude has been a busy bee, he's moving into some new building, expanding his business, he's really deep into the war repro stuff now too. He's really starting to find his market, and I think may be shying away from FL folks a little because the CHL, let's just call it what it is now, was largely a waste of time. He must've thought everyone wanted crazy thick, crazy stiff leather, and found out quickly it was a headache not worth pursuing. He's now identified a market that seems to be generating him the business he wants. Considering all the one offs he did, I think only a few/couple actually gained any traction for more broader appeal. His customers seem to be happy with his current leather offerings, so not having a Horween CXL competitor isn't exactly hurting him.

Nice! I was wondering how the regular HH is, can't wait to hear your impressions on it.

To give Shawn some leeway, apparently dude has been a busy bee, he's moving into some new building, expanding his business, he's really deep into the war repro stuff now too. He's really starting to find his market, and I think may be shying away from FL folks a little because the CHL, let's just call it what it is now, was largely a waste of time. He must've thought everyone wanted crazy thick, crazy stiff leather, and found out quickly it was a headache not worth pursuing. He's now identified a market that seems to be generating him the business he wants. Considering all the one offs he did, I think only a few/couple actually gained any traction for more broader appeal. His customers seem to be happy with his current leather offerings, so not having a Horween CXL competitor isn't exactly hurting him.
Indeed. The military repro crowd is pleased as punch and it seems to be his bread and butter. Easy enough. Make a leather bag and add some knits. Throw in a pair of patch pockets and mouton to taste. LOL. Sorry not sorry. Not to say they can’t look good. They can and do.

I’d prefer he focus on the much more stylish and intricate civilian range. The talent is there. The eye is almost there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters