Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Five Star Leather Jackets

Hobbes1

A-List Customer
2mm Sheene Suburban has been calling my name since yesterday. I hope I can resist her siren calls...

View attachment 410847
Hey, that's "my" design, submitted for the first 5* I purchased. It's a good jacket but the steerhide was too squeaky. I actually donated the jacket to the Goodwill as it was too squeaky for me to wear.
I hope yours turns out better. I might eventually get that one again in goat or hh.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
The chest pockets does look high. The Sheene and the Suburban appears to have lower armholes, so the pockets looks lower? I don't know. The Tailgunner (SB) also has high armhole like the 5Star, and the pockets are placed about the same height as Shawn's pattern. The pocket placement is one of the reasons I've been holding back too.
Image1.jpg

@Hobbes1 I had a feeling it must be a FDL creation! This is one of the most versatile and under rated pattern imo. Classic. Goat would be nice. But I've go my laser beams locked on that 2mm stuff...

KBlake

One Too Many
Hey, that's "my" design, submitted for the first 5* I purchased. It's a good jacket but the steerhide was too squeaky. I actually donated the jacket to the Goodwill as it was too squeaky for me to wear.
I hope yours turns out better. I might eventually get that one again in goat or hh.
I think Shawn has upgraded the steer since then. I have it in black and seal and they are silent and lustrous.

Yamahana

One Too Many
Ton, what is the back length of this one? Is it the 25.6" as listed on the Half Belt chart for a 44 or did you shorten it? Also the is the shoulder 19"?
25.5” and 19” on the button for the stock size 44”. Both the black cowhide (soon for sale) and the brown HH measured exactly the same in every dimension, minus sleeve diameter, which I altered between them,

Hobbes1

A-List Customer
The chest pockets does look high. The Sheene and the Suburban appears to have lower armholes, so the pockets looks lower? I don't know. The Tailgunner (SB) also has high armhole like the 5Star, and the pockets are placed about the same height as Shawn's pattern. The pocket placement is one of the reasons I've been holding back too.
View attachment 410949
@Hobbes1 I had a feeling it must be a FDL creation! This is one of the most versatile and under rated pattern imo. Classic. Goat would be nice. But I've go my laser beams locked on that 2mm stuff...

Yeah, in pictures here the pockets do seem a bit high. In practice, for me, I don't recall being bothered by the placement. If I still had the jacket I'd refer back....you could probably find fit pics that I posted way back in this thread and in the WJAYWT thread. I think it was about a year ago that I got it?? Something like that.
Other than a different leather, I would change the buckle to the ones with actual grommet/holes instead of a slider buckle. This one back then was cheaper. I'd also get the ring chain pulls on the pockets instead of the hanging "bar". Lastly, I'd get a heavier zipper...IIRC, I got a Talon repro #5 and I always thought it should be heavier. Just my $0.02, FWIW.
Cheers!

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, in pictures here the pockets do seem a bit high. In practice, for me, I don't recall being bothered by the placement. If I still had the jacket I'd refer back....you could probably find fit pics that I posted way back in this thread and in the WJAYWT thread. I think it was about a year ago that I got it?? Something like that.
Other than a different leather, I would change the buckle to the ones with actual grommet/holes instead of a slider buckle. This one back then was cheaper. I'd also get the ring chain pulls on the pockets instead of the hanging "bar". Lastly, I'd get a heavier zipper...IIRC, I got a Talon repro #5 and I always thought it should be heavier. Just my $0.02, FWIW.
Cheers!
Thanks for the tip. These were exactly what I thought too. Going to check out the pics in the WJAYWT thread.

Hobbes1

A-List Customer

@Canuck Panda

For some reason, I can't seem to locate my other posted pics from when I first got that jacket. This is the only one I can locate on here. Hope it helps.

SimonR

One of the Regulars
25.5” and 19” on the button for the stock size 44”. Both the black cowhide (soon for sale) and the brown HH measured exactly the same in every dimension, minus sleeve diameter, which I altered between them,
Ton what chest are you ? I'm wondering if your black one may find a home :)

Simon

hughesovka

One of the Regulars
Anybody know what the turnaround time is for Five Star to make a pattern from a submitted PDF? I got an email from Shawn (or someone) letting me know the pattern department has been forwarded my design. The pattern is based on one of their existing jackets, so it's nothing outrageous. Its getting warm here now so there's really no rush, just curious

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
@Hobbes1 Thank you! I also went to dig it out and saved it on my computer now. Lol. The chest pockets are just fine. This pattern is good to go. I am just making some finishing changes like better zippers and better side buckles.

On a side note I think I've made a discovery with Shawn's pattern block. The high armhole patterns seems to have P2P ending in 0.5", so 22.5", 23.5", 24.5"..etc.. The (low arm holes) patterns has the even number P2P, 23", 24", 25". These are bigger but fits smaller. With the 5Star, the higher armhole slim fit ones is the way to go imo. I didn't believe the slim fit ones could work at first, but they do. Almost exactly how the Sb's and Thedi's slim fit works too. It is possible to get a comfortable fit with actual chest measurement plus 3" or less, given the leather is soft enough and armpit seams are skived. Hopping on the slim fit wagon now. However, Shawn is still missing a solid lower armhole/full action back motorcycle fit though.

@hughesovka It depends, fastest I've had was less than 2 weeks. Longest more than 6 months. It depends on his work load and how much change you want to the pattern. If it's existing pattern, existing size with a few nip and tuck, and maybe a few pocket changes, I would categorize these under the speedy lead times. If there are more then it could be a while. What are you looking at?

I am going in for the Sheene Suburban in the thick horse. Thank again Hobbes1. I think this is gonna become the work horse of my jacket rotation. This thread is a very dangerous place...

2mm Horsehide Jacket.jpg

Griemersma

One of the Regulars
So-- I'm going to put my Seal HH Half Belt up on the classifieds, if anybody is interested. It's a great jacket, but I guess I'm just not a dark jacket guy. If it sells, I'm already planning my next Five Star in a lighter color....

hughesovka

One of the Regulars
@hughesovka It depends, fastest I've had was less than 2 weeks. Longest more than 6 months. It depends on his work load and how much change you want to the pattern. If it's existing pattern, existing size with a few nip and tuck, and maybe a few pocket changes, I would categorize these under the speedy lead times. If there are more then it could be a while. What are you looking at?
Just modding his basic cossack design with a larger mouton shawl collar with a throat latch, pointed western yoke in the back, and snap buttons. Nothing too crazy. Probably looking at 2 weeks or less going by your experiences

Rugby

One of the Regulars
I'm thinking of ordering the 5* cossack design but replace the shawl collar with split shirt like collar. I don't like the shawl style. Of course after I receive the trucker I've already ordered, which is my first encounter with 5* and will be the guiding experiment with their craftsmanship and interpretation of requirements.
1647637306499.png

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm thinking of ordering the 5* cossack design but replace the shawl collar with split shirt like collar. I don't like the shawl style. Of course after I receive the trucker I've already ordered, which is my first encounter with 5* and will be the guiding experiment with their craftsmanship and interpretation of requirements.
View attachment 411152
Good idea to change the collar. I thought I liked the shawl collar, but found that it does not ;)
B6906461-D726-4A61-9B79-FFD0CC58EAD4.jpeg

Rugby

One of the Regulars
Good idea to change the collar. I thought I liked the shawl collar, but found that it does not ;)
View attachment 411168
@MrProper what kind of hide is your cossack? And is it possible to get buffalo in black?
And for my education, what are the main differences between buffalo and horsehide? I'm kinda 70/30 towards horsehide, but I have never had a buffalo hide...anything

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner