Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Five Star Leather Jackets

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Has anyone done this?

Lots of people have for military jackets, including Irvins and various contracts of of A-2, but I don’t know of many civi collectors doing so.

Honestly this wouldn’t be a bad way to get a restoration done on a vintage jacket with damaged lining or something.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
I've been tempted but have not. I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem but i'm reluctant to send my vintage gems halfway around the world.
I'm curious what jacket would be of interest to reproduce. I'm not familiar with their line up. Most people seem to want motorcycle jackets, cross zips and they seem to do these now?

This Windward would be of interest to me to reproduce. This one does not fit me.

1648570775610.jpeg
1648570810891.jpeg
1648570852353.jpeg

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up

Bahabp100

Practically Family
How does this process work? Did they use your jacket for a pattern and put it in their line up? How much does this cost?
Mailed jacket via usps @ $100 roughly. Made it very clear that I wanted a replica - so that made the back and forth changes limited to size and measurements, and much easier than designing a jacket or a Franken jacket with less stress . It took around a month and he mailed back both jackets securely . @tmitchell59
He nailed it . Said he had 12 jackets to replicate before mine and he didn’t have to cut it open to make the pattern
028F6BD9-7FD7-4392-8E8D-22C30CB3113C.jpeg
6DEEA860-D63C-42D1-9D88-B1B06B894F5A.jpeg

Last edited:

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I'm curious what jacket would be of interest to reproduce. I'm not familiar with their line up. Most people seem to want motorcycle jackets, cross zips and they seem to do these now?

This Windward would be of interest to me to reproduce. This one does not fit me.

View attachment 414146 View attachment 414147 View attachment 414148
If you send that to Shawn, I'd buy one.

FiveStar doesn't have a "real" civilian half belt pattern right now. Their 30's HB is nice but it's a very modernized (slim fit) pattern with "vintage looks". Your Winward looks about 40s ish right? Perfect for pattern development.

It is probably best if the patterns requires more hand work, buttons, pleats...etc. These type of designs are not likely to be repro'ed due to the higher labor cost. Most small jacket makers don't even have their own button holers. But Shawn does.

Another thing is to copy the label and lining exactly. This is also out of reach for (due to cost) for the Western makers, but within the realm of possibility for imports. The whole "knock off" industry already exist with labels suppliers and all, but in the repro world it would just be "repro" instead of LV knock off.

Shawn already took the first few steps and upgraded his materials, authentic patterns and details now would put his civilian line on the map like his A2 jackets.

I've also been looking for budget vintages (even in rough shapes) to send him. But nothing so far. I've got a few 70s Lees/Wranglers I might send to him. Like this one. I wanted a cool "western" barnstormer that is more wearable and not looking like a Dad chore coat. This is going to him soon. I just have to decide do I want a leather one with B-10 acrylic lining or a canvas one with real shearling lining.

The numbers have to work out.

IMG_8152.JPG

Hh121

Banned
Mailed jacket via usps @ $100 roughly. Made it very clear that I wanted a replica - so that made the back and forth changes limited to size and measurements, and much easier than designing a jacket or a Franken jacket with less stress . It took around a month and he mailed back both jackets securely . @tmitchell59
He nailed it . Said he had 12 jackets to replicate before mine and he didn’t have to cut it open to make the pattern View attachment 414181 View attachment 414183
That's the jacket??

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
He nailed it . Said he had 12 jackets to replicate before mine and he didn’t have to cut it open to make the pattern View attachment 414181 View attachment 414183
Thanks for the information. I may talk to them.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That's the jacket??

Those are the photos taken in Shawn’s workshop in Pakistan, but I don’t know why they’re in someone’s eBay listing from the New York suburbs.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
If you send that to Shawn, I'd buy one.

FiveStar doesn't have a "real" civilian half belt pattern right now. Their 30's HB is nice but it's a very modernized (slim fit) pattern with "vintage looks". Your Winward looks about 40s ish right? Perfect for pattern development.

It is probably best if the patterns requires more hand work, buttons, pleats...etc. These type of designs are not likely to be repro'ed due to the higher labor cost. Most small jacket makers don't even have their own button holers. But Shawn does.

Another thing is to copy the label and lining exactly. This is also out of reach for (due to cost) for the Western makers, but within the realm of possibility for imports. The whole "knock off" industry already exist with labels suppliers and all, but in the repro world it would just be "repro" instead of LV knock off.

Shawn already took the first few steps and upgraded his materials, authentic patterns and details now would put his civilian line on the map like his A2 jackets.

I've also been looking for budget vintages (even in rough shapes) to send him. But nothing so far. I've got a few 70s Lees/Wranglers I might send to him. Like this one. I wanted a cool "western" barnstormer that is more wearable and not looking like a Dad chore coat. This is going to him soon. I just have to decide do I want a leather one with B-10 acrylic lining or a canvas one with real shearling lining.

The numbers have to work out.

View attachment 414185

The Windward is from the late 30s early 40s and very detailed. Yes, the lining is a necessary part of this jacket. This jacket has 2 labels, I would expect it costly to reproduce these labels, but it would be nice.

I did visit the 5Star website. Wow! they have quite a large offering of jackets and none expensive.

I could provide them with quite a few jackets; motorcycle and civilian. The Windward just happens to be one I can't wear.

Interesting they have not done a Iconic Sears Hercules from the 30s like every body else. I do have one, but not my favorite jacket.

Their half-belt offering could be a bit more interesting, like this Taubers

1648575056645.jpeg
1648575023032.jpeg

maybe something in Goatskin
1648575419639.jpeg

1648575483333.jpeg

I have never handled one of their jackets, just seen pictures.

Would folks be interested in jackets like these? I don't need repro of these because they fit me.

Could be an interesting project. How do you contact Shawn?

The Windward is from the late 30s early 40s and very detailed. Yes, the lining is a necessary part of this jacket. This jacket has 2 labels, I would expect it costly to reproduce these labels, but it would be nice.

I did visit the 5Star website. Wow! they have quite a large offering of jackets and none expensive.

I could provide them with quite a few jackets; motorcycle and civilian. The Windward just happens to be one I can't wear.

Interesting they have not done a Iconic Sears Hercules from the 30s like every body else. I do have one, but not my favorite jacket.

View attachment 414188 View attachment 414187

View attachment 414191
View attachment 414192

Would folks be interested in jackets like these? I don't need repro of these because they fit me.

I would buy all three.

Rugby

One of the Regulars

View attachment 414188 View attachment 414187

View attachment 414191
View attachment 414192

I would be very interested in a Taubers repro. @tmitchell59 if you can provide 5* with some of the vintage gems you have, it would be great for people like me who could never fit in a real vintage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy