Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Five Star Leather Jackets

KBlake

One Too Many
Taking that jacket off was difficult. I’ve always sourced this by placing my hand flat on a table and measuring at the widest point, add 1/4”, and that’s never failed. I think visually the super thick hides just stay round, don’t become ovals and that’s why the look a bit bell like.
Hmm this is interesting. I’m not sure I’m measuring correctly. The widest part of my splayed hand is at the base of the thumb. That’s about 5” wide.

KBlake

One Too Many
Yes, the first time I “altered” a jacket was stressful too, once you get over it, a whole world of possibilities open up… next you need to take a hot bath in it! :)
Haha is that a thing? Would it help this 2mm beast settle and mould to me? I might have to do that!

It might. Definitely works with CXL by melting the waxes. Not sure if it might leave your jacket a bit stiff afterwards (depending on how yours is tanned), but I give it a slathering of vaseline afterwards. Works really well for shaping collars too. We call it the HWT (hot water treatment). You can also do it with cold water, and should for goat.

Is five star still the best cheap leather jacket company? Seems that the price have increased with minimal improvemnt of quality and a leather selection that can be described as a minefield.
I suppose it depends what you are looking for. The military crowd certainly loves their stuff. I am using 5 Star to explore styles I can't find from any other maker at the moment.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I honestly just want an A2, but i hate spending money. My question is if anyone makes an A2 or A1 at the same level as 5* for less.

An original maker A-2 from Five Star is a great value for sure. I'd look on VLJ to see which contracts Five Star has reproduced from originals and go for those. To my recollection, Rough Wear, Doniger, and a few others are originals based. I'd check VLJ.

It's civilian jackets where there are big gaps.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I have the crystal goat A2 Dubow (the relax fit contract). It was $350 plus $60 shipping. At the time (just more than a year ago) I thought it was too expensive. But so far I haven't been able to find anything in similar quality for the price.

The only thing negative I have to say about the 5* Dubow is the way the bottom knit is installed. There is a gathering of leather there, which makes the fit blousey. I have other A2 that are made like this. It could be a contract pattern design, not a very good one. Since 5Star is customizable, I'd highly recommand a flat no gathering sewn on bottom band.

I have the crystal goat A2 Dubow (the relax fit contract). It was $350 plus $60 shipping. At the time (just more than a year ago) I thought it was too expensive. But so far I haven't been able to find anything in similar quality for the price.

The only thing negative I have to say about the 5* Dubow is the way the bottom knit is installed. There is a gathering of leather there, which makes the fit blousey. I have other A2 that are made like this. It could be a contract pattern design, not a very good one. Since 5Star is customizable, I'd highly recommand a flat no gathering sewn on bottom band.
Panda, can you post a pic of the crystal goat? I might reinvent this:

IMG_5898.jpeg

With this sleeve:
IMG_5896.jpeg

In that hide

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Panda, can you post a pic of the crystal goat? I might reinvent this:

View attachment 522162
With this sleeve:
View attachment 522163
In that hide
Doubling down on the 70s I see... Jelado did a cow suede one

Here it is, the crystal goat is more brown than the russet goat and looks less chocolate plastic. It is semi aniline I believe. Not as thick as the premium goat but thicker than the fashion goat. Shawn was charging the same for this goatskin as the horsehide. The brown can still be darker though, but decent. I think these pics can blow up to see the grain.

IMG_7171.JPG

IMG_7172.JPG

Edward

Bartender
I honestly just want an A2, but i hate spending money. My question is if anyone makes an A2 or A1 at the same level as 5* for less.

WPG did an A2 that was highly thought of in its first run, though I think opinions were more nuanced when it can to later runs. I think a lot depends on what you want, rally. If you just want an A2 style jacket that looks and wars nice, those aren't too hard to find affordably. If, however, you want something with a more distinct, period look, specially to the details of a specific contract, I don't think you'll b happy with much south of the established names.

I've not ben tempted by 5 star for leather as of yet , but they do do a USN canvas summer flying jacket that I'd be keen to try.

mvilla

A-List Customer
Doubling down on the 70s I see... Jelado did a cow suede one
[/URL]

Here it is, the crystal goat is more brown than the russet goat and looks less chocolate plastic. It is semi aniline I believe. Not as thick as the premium goat but thicker than the fashion goat. Shawn was charging the same for this goatskin as the horsehide. The brown can still be darker though, but decent. I think these pics can blow up to see the grain.
Really like the rising sun detail on that suede jacket

Johhnyheuvel

New in Town
Hi there! Long time lurker here, looking to buy a (reasonable quality) leather jacket that is a step up from fashion brands without the costs of an Aero (although hopefully one day I'll own one:)).

I've had my eyes on fivestar for some time now and I really like the 1930's caferacer jacket (https://www.fivestarleather.us/products/civilian-vintage-1930s-classic-men-real-leather-jacket).

I was wondering if anybody has any experience with the standard patterns and the steerhide leather on this jacket. I tend to fit fashion brands patterns pretty good normally, could I expect the same of this jacket or is custom measurements always the way to go?

Also, is the "standard" steerhide any good? Or should I just go the safe way and order the premium goat?
Love to hear your experiences with this standard pattern.

Thanks in advance and have a great day!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana