Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Five Star Leather Jackets

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I have this 1930s civi 5* jacket in their heavyweight horsehide, stock size 46.

It is the same fit as Aero's Cafe Racer/Sheene stock size 42 but with higher arm holes.

Very slim pattern. You can customize measurements like others said but I went stock and it fits just fine.

Premium black goat is the best leather from Shawn, most consistent. If you want a firmer hand like horsehide feel, get it waxed.

If I were to redo my jacket I would slant the chest pocket. I found that these chest pockets are always based on the arm hole, and on higher arm hole patterns they can look too high. Some other maker get around this by slanting the pocket so it still stick with the pattern ratio rule but also don't look as high. I would suggest this. And just go with one outside pocket for more everyday look. Two will have a lot more moto vibes.

View attachment 522326
I think even with that slant the chest pocket is still too high, our shoulder has a mass and thickness, so when being worn it would look higher from the shoulder seam than when it's laid flat on the table

KBlake

One Too Many
Oh boy…
8E674F48-4573-46DA-B765-053D91FB42DE.jpeg

Attachments

• 226B6E48-6A9C-4E92-AC19-6C1C3C05170F.jpeg
    226B6E48-6A9C-4E92-AC19-6C1C3C05170F.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 87

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
nice graining on the pockets, adds a lot of characters, how about just redyeing with diluted color of its original color just to soften the gradation and just take it as rained on patina.

nice graining on the pockets, adds a lot of characters, how about just redyeing with diluted color of its original color just to soften the gradation and just take it as rained on patina.
I thought about that too. Maybe just a medium brown but truthfully another coat of Urad will mute it down a bit more without the brain damage associated with the dye process. Brown Urad is interesting stuff. It will dye naked leather but will wear off anything with a topcoat. Distressing an assembled jacket is an unpredictable process. The sleeves almost show no distress and the back took minimal distress as well. The grain pooped like mad though and the fit improved just enough.
IMG_6781.jpeg

that is really nice character
It’s mega thick goat. 6lb goatskin jacket is something I would not have thought possible but I would put this at 4oz. I think that helps too. This jacket weighs a bit more than the Vanson F I sold recently. All my other 5 Star goats were a good 2lbs lighter.

Johhnyheuvel

New in Town
So I'm in the process of putting everything together for my first order. I'm going for the 1930 civilian caferacer (https://www.fivestarleather.us/products/civilian-vintage-1930s-classic-men-real-leather-jacket). Is there anything I'm missing in your opinion?
So far I have the following specifications:

-premium goat black waxed leather
-black stitching
-brass hardware
-talon zippers
-no storm cuffs
-red cotton inner lining
-only one chest pocket (right side)
-chest pocket at normal location (as stock pictures show) only 30 degree angle instead of horizontal
-rest of pockets as described on website

This together with the following measurements:

Attachments

• IMG_20230615_211835.jpg
    IMG_20230615_211835.jpg
    233.2 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_20230615_212438.jpg
    IMG_20230615_212438.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 84

KBlake

One Too Many
So I'm in the process of putting everything together for my first order. I'm going for the 1930 civilian caferacer (https://www.fivestarleather.us/products/civilian-vintage-1930s-classic-men-real-leather-jacket). Is there anything I'm missing in your opinion?

-black stitching
-brass hardware
-talon zippers
-no storm cuffs
-red cotton inner lining
-chest pocket at normal location (as stock pictures show) only 30 degree angle instead of horizontal

Bicep and cuff opening need width measurements.

Fonzie

One Too Many

-black stitching
-brass hardware
-talon zippers
-no storm cuffs
-red cotton inner lining

Only one chest pocket is on the left side normally, like in the pic.
Do you want it on the right side of the wearer?

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here

-black stitching
-brass hardware
-talon zippers
-no storm cuffs
-red cotton inner lining

The front length without indication of the neck hole size could lead to undesired results.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner