Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Five Star Leather Jackets

Johhnyheuvel

New in Town
With all of your input I ordered the jacket last week, and now its ready. It looks really awesome, exactly what I wanted. I will write a review when it arrives. Some pics:
IMG20230621174940.jpg

IMG20230621175129.jpg

Better pics of the smoke. I’m really quite pleased with it. I did coat it with dark brown Urad to bring up some shine and make it a bit more of a rich brown. Goat skin is pretty dull from just about every maker (unless it’s faux distressed) and I didn’t want to go that route. I will say without hesitation, this is the best finished piece I’ve received from 5 Star. All the details were perfectly executed. The last two feel a tier above the batch of jackets I ordered in 2020. They both are very heavy (6lb!) goatskins and they are surprisingly thick. My older 5 Star goats were around 4lbs and somewhat flimsy feeling. These both feel like the goat version of comp weight cow from Vanson. I don’t know if it comes down to experience or just dumb luck but I feel there is a marked improvement.
IMG_7142.jpeg
IMG_7143.jpeg
IMG_7144.jpeg

THE END (for me anyway).

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Better pics of the smoke. I’m really quite pleased with it. I did coat it with dark brown Urad to bring up some shine and make it a bit more of a rich brown. Goat skin is pretty dull from just about every maker (unless it’s faux distressed) and I didn’t want to go that route. I will say without hesitation, this is the best finished piece I’ve received from 5 Star. All the details were perfectly executed. The last two feel a tier above the batch of jackets I ordered in 2020. They both are very heavy (6lb!) goatskins and they are surprisingly thick. My older 5 Star goats were around 4lbs and somewhat flimsy feeling. These both feel like the goat version of comp weight cow from Vanson. I don’t know if it comes down to experience or just dumb luck but I feel there is a marked improvement.
View attachment 527577 View attachment 527578 View attachment 527579
THE END (for me anyway).

So tempting, though my experiences of Five Star goat smelled so bad that I'm scared to give this a try. I expect I wouldn't have been able to do the Urad step properly anyway.

Very impressive @ton312. That is a kickass coat!

Now get yourself a ‘70 340 4 spd Duster in lime green, with an 8 track, and your life will be complete. That jacket deserves ‘70 Mopar!

You apply Urad brown right on top of the top coat or is there more to it?
Right on top of the top coat. No abuse for this one. Yet….

So tempting, though my experiences of Five Star goat smelled so bad that I'm scared to give this a try. I expect I wouldn't have been able to do the Urad step properly anyway.
I know exactly what you mean. All my 2020 jackets smelled like polypropylene gas (I made that up but I would say it’s a fair descriptor). The last two just smell like a typical chrome tanned leather.

I haven’t worked with Urad, is it part die, part conditioning? Wouldn’t mind my new Vanson C being a little more brown.
It would make that Vanson sparkle and absolutely deepen the brown. It’s a wax with a pigment stain. It’s a mess to apply. But it works wonders. It’s the duct tape of brown leather.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
you have dialed in the fit and detailing with them perfectly this time, dual zip made it perfect
View attachment 527577 View attachment 527578 View attachment 527579
THE END (for me anyway).

I’m on it!
Some before and after shots in good light. I’d recommend getting some sponge brushes so you can work it into the seams and for touch up on areas you miss. Bear in mind each application will further darken the area where it’s applied.
IMG_7070.jpeg
IMG_7196.jpeg
IMG_7197.jpeg

For me the stuff works miracles on otherwise dull leather. Also important to note it will absolutely stain anything it comes in contact with. Don’t wear white while applying it!

Rugby

One of the Regulars
Some before and after shots in good light. I’d recommend getting some sponge brushes so you can work it into the seams and for touch up on areas you miss. Bear in mind each application will further darken the area where it’s applied.
View attachment 527779 View attachment 527780 View attachment 527781
For me the stuff works miracles on otherwise dull leather. Also important to note it will absolutely stain anything it comes in contact with. Don’t wear white while applying it!
Kinda Starsky & Hutch look

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
View attachment 527779 View attachment 527780 View attachment 527781

The 'before' brought back chocolate milk memories. You're a visionary. I wouldn't have seen the potential there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran