Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Five Star Leather Jackets

Nacho

Practically Family
Cool. Is it custom? I seem to remember these have quite a dramatic front drop.

Marc is correct. The Bird indeed has 3" front drop. And like you said, he should hike up his jeans to really make it work. ;)

tempImage3MvoWS.jpg

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think it should be okay. The period photos of these don't show them to be super short on their wearers.

I don't think it's going to end up looking like the Fine Creek maternity aviator.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
I think it should be okay. The period photos of these don't show them to be super short on their wearers.

I don't think it's going to end up looking like the Fine Creek maternity aviator.
You're right. Here's one from the 30s. I think it's a size 44 or even 46.

I guess it's just my personal preference to wear them shorter.

IMG_6120.jpeg

Aloysius

You're right. Here's one from the 30s. I think it's a size 44 or even 46.

I guess it's just my personal preference to wear them shorter.

View attachment 593143

As these San Francisco aviators go, I think I went a bit too short on my Field (as a reaction to the overly-long jackets we often see, but for my height it doesn't quite give me a period accurate length ironically).

Glad I took your advice to go a bit longer than I had originally planned! But I should have gone further. (I went from 24" back, my preference for a non-dipped MC jacket, to 24.5" but since it's a half belt I think 25" or even a bit longer would have worked.)

Not sure of KBlake's height but I'm between 6'1 and 6'2; I think 25" would have been ideal for me; I'd do it if I got this.

The specced back length for my favourite of them (the Rockafella) is even longer, which surprised me until I saw vintage photos!

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
It’s a size XL which comes with a 24.75” back and I requested a smidge more.
25" back length should give you 23" front length bottom of front collar down, on these Levis patterns jackets with the front dip (oval bottom opening).

I had the Speedway which I believe is similar looking at the photos, and it was 24" back length with 22" front length and it looks like this on me, just above the mid rise hand pockets, and I am barely 6' these days according to my latest physical...sigh...
IMG_3991.jpg

IMG_9356.jpg

I still have a Rockafella which has 23" front length and it just covers the front pockets on mid rise,
IMG_5092.jpg

I think the question is if you want your front pockets showing or not, and how high are you willing to go on the back length. Another thing to keep in mind is that when you wear it open it will hang lower,
IMG_4020.jpg

24" back length on these jackets aren't that short, because the collars is a bit further back than usual Aero shirt collar, and there is a curve to the front dip,
IMG_4016.jpg

But if you wear your shirts untucked most of the time, 25" back with 23" front would probably be the better choice. I just wear my shirts tucked all the time and I lean towards the 22" front and 24" back.

What leather did you order your Aero with?

Aloysius

But if you wear your shirts untucked most of the time, 25" back with 23" front would probably be the better choice. I just wear my shirts tucked all the time and I lean towards the 22" front and 24" back.

Just to clarify, when you say front you mean the zipper/button length, correct?

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Just to clarify, when you say front you mean the zipper/button length, correct?
From bottom of the front collar down (top of the zipper down if it's straight zip). The zipper is usually half inch to 3/4" ish shorter than the overall front length.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
It’s a size XL which comes with a 24.75” back and I requested a smidge more.
Here is a 23" front X-zip on me, not Aero but 23" front is 23" front, And I compensate by wearing low rise with this jacket. So if you wear low rise, front pockets can still show, but not mid rise.
IMG_1386.JPG

RC Ponyboy closed.JPG

RC Ponyboy open.JPG

KBlake

One Too Many
25" back length should give you 23" front length bottom of front collar down, on these Levis patterns jackets with the front dip (oval bottom opening).

I had the Speedway which I believe is similar looking at the photos, and it was 24" back length with 22" front length and it looks like this on me, just above the mid rise hand pockets, and I am barely 6' these days according to my latest physical...sigh...
View attachment 593144
View attachment 593145

I still have a Rockafella which has 23" front length and it just covers the front pockets on mid rise,
View attachment 593146

I think the question is if you want your front pockets showing or not, and how high are you willing to go on the back length. Another thing to keep in mind is that when you wear it open it will hang lower,
View attachment 593147

24" back length on these jackets aren't that short, because the collars is a bit further back than usual Aero shirt collar, and there is a curve to the front dip,
View attachment 593149

What leather did you order your Aero with?

I hate tucking my shirts lol. I have a short torso and long legs so untucked shirts look more balanced.

I initially ordered it in Vincenza and changed it to cxl.

Last edited:

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I hate tucking my shirts lol. I have a short torso and long legs so untucked shirts look more balanced.

I initially ordered it in Vincenza and changed it to cxl.
I went back to look at your 5* jacket, and the front length looks about 22" when compared to the 26" sleeve length. If my guess is correct, then it's best to give Aero this front length information so they don't make your jacket with too much front overhang.
Image1.jpg

Also the Levis/Aero patterns are quite slim. It felt too tight for me even with the Comipel leather which is softer than CXL. But I do love the CXL finish. Maybe CXL SH, that one feels more pliable from the start than the FQHH. Or Pinnacle, that leather has nice finish but also very soft hand.

I am not sure how long your 5* jackets are. But I have their stock size 46 half belt with 23" front, it's almost 27" in the back because the straight hem, very different than the Aero/Levis jackets you're looking at. When in doubt, give the maker as much info as possible.

My 5* jacket with 23" front length and 27" back length, low rise jeans. But there is no curve on the side so it covers more of the side pocket in the front than the RC, which is somewhat close to the Aero but less drop ratio.

IMG_2444.jpg

IMG_2692.jpg
IMG_2685.jpg
IMG_2676.jpg

IMG_2647.jpg

Custom Aero jackets are quite a bit more than the custom 5*, it's better that they have as much info to build it so you end up with a good result.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats