Five Star Leather Jackets

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead, Sep 23, 2020.

1. Jin431

Jin431 Call Me a Cab

It does look good. If 5* gets more serious with the hardware they use then that's going to elevate the whole look of the brand

The older 5* shearling was a 10mm, right? So this is a thicker boy for more winter fun lol I wished we have a little colder weather where I live so I can justify having a shearling too lol

MrProper likes this.
  2. Cornelius

Cornelius Practically Family

ooo, that's just over 3/4", this might just be Chicago-winter-worthy.

ton312, handymike and MrProper like this.
  3. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

Once he sells off his JL and incoming Aero, I imagine @ton312 will be ordering a shearling winterized “Starcadia/ Goodgal”. :p

Last edited: Dec 30, 2020
  4. ton312

ton312

EB2F90E5-CA5C-48BB-87E7-3B8F4E255B94.gif
    although...that does sound like a great design!

5. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

I think you and Fivestar make a great team, and you should continue these “collaborations”; however at some point they should also be giving them to you at the lower price-point as a Thank-you for creating their best designs.

6. MrProper

MrProper One Too Many

yes, the D1 / Trucker is 10 mm and perfect from 0-10 celsius.
    The new one is a vest and will be a bit cooler without sleeves. therefore 20 mm. Let's see if my idea works.

Jin431, Zoo, Berto and 1 other person like this.
  7. abone2010

abone2010 One of the Regulars

I've sent these patterns to Shawn, he's confirmed he can build and at a very reasonable price me thinks. I am leaning towards buffalo, non distressed 1.3-1.4mm. I'm still fussing over a couple details like should I include a slash/hand-warmer pocket behind the cargo pockets like I have seen on a custom Aero Maxwell, and gussets or no gussets, and of course the final decision on leather.
    Any comments, please fire away. This will be my first 5*.
    NB - sorry for my artistic (lack of) talent.

Attached Files:

Cornelius likes this.
  8. red devil

red devil My Mail is Forwarded Here

If I were Shawn, I would have a monthly @ton312 collaboration. Impressive design work and great pictures of the jackets. I would come up a name and call it the premium collection.

9. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

My remade Sears long half-belt jacket came a week ago. My original, some here may remember, had a few mistakes - too long cuffs and wrong zip. This one has addressed all the issues. Good work, Shawn.

Only issue is chest creasing on the leather from being folded inside a thin box. Not a biggie but some my find this not to their liking. Shawn did a good job on this jacket which I have been thinking about for about 10 years.

Jacket Five Stars.jpg

Five Stars2.jpg

Last edited: Dec 30, 2020
  10. Berto

Berto One of the Regulars

More pics, man !!!

you’re killing it.

MrProper likes this.
  11. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

Looks good Seb, Congratulations!

Seb Lucas likes this.
  12. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

There is confusion in your drawings...Be careful!
    Look at your cuffs in both sketches, which way should your cuffs face?
    Also, be specific with your front drop- 1.5" or 2"
    Did you email about your collar? I don't see specifics.
    "Measure twice/ cut once"

jonesy86 and Cornelius like this.
  13. ton312

ton312

Looks great Seb!

Seb Lucas likes this.
  14. abone2010

abone2010 One of the Regulars

I've sent these patterns to Shawn, he's confirmed he can build and at a very reasonable price me thinks. I am leaning towards buffalo, non distressed 1.3-1.4mm. I'm still fussing over a couple details like should I include a slash/hand-warmer pocket behind the cargo pockets like I have seen on a custom Aero Maxwell, and gussets or no gussets.
    Any comments, please fire away. This will be my first 5*.
    Thanks,
    Regarding the cuff, my drawing is dotted from the front, solid in the back which I presume indicates which way it faces. I know, never assume nor presume.....I will confirm with a picture. Good point about the front drop. I'll confirm the exact dimension. The collar I am not sure how to measure but I have provided him pictures of the jacket I am using as model. I don't have a physical jacket to copy, only pictures. Thanks for this!

Attached Files:

15. MrProper

MrProper One Too Many

Lol
    when I have it. It has not yet been sent because I am still waiting for a certain picture, which I will hopefully receive tomorrow.

Berto likes this.
  16. Berto

Berto One of the Regulars

I will order to 5* .... I have to find the design, definitely shearling 10mm.

MrProper likes this.
  17. warrior-poet

warrior-poet New in Town

Are the cuffs and stormflap a lower pile (as on the originals) or also the 20 mm?

EDIT: Oops! I see you've noted that this is a vest, so disregard...

18. Cornelius

Cornelius Practically Family

Is this 20 mm shearling vest meant to be worn over your 10 mm shearling jacket when the temperature really drops? I've been thinking about the utility of such an arrangement ever since Freewheeler's released their "Winter Aviator Vest" a few years ago, as this could possibly allow for a slim-fitting "cool weather" leather jacket to pull "cold weather" duty. Especially if a stand-up fleece collar were added to the vest design.

rockandrollrabbit and MrProper like this.
  19. MrProper

MrProper One Too Many

the Avoators winter vest was the inspiration. I would like to wear them over my normal leather jackets, but also only with a shirt, e.g. after paddling or camping, when it gets cool in the evening. I hope my given measurements are right.

roadking04, Cornelius and El Marro like this.
  20. Dionysus

Dionysus New in Town

So how long takes 5star to make a custom jacket?