Five Star Leather Jackets

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead, Sep 23, 2020.

1. Riu

Riu One of the Regulars

Thank you, that seems just about right for what I need.

MrProper likes this.
  2. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

Not sure I would ever buy a deer jacket but the hide, even if it is corrected, looks good to me. My issue with 5 Stars goat hide is that it feels kind of dry and fragile compared to the many goat jackets I have owned by other makers. I guess only a few years will tell.

Riu and bn1966 like this.
  3. Jin431

Jin431 One Too Many

I hope you will still like the deerskin. I still quite like mine even after all the processing they did. Wish I would have known all these info before ordering but my sister still loves her jacket and she still wears it all the time.

I liked how thick and comfy the goatskin was but I had a squeaky batch so I gave it away. hope you get a good hide when you order

Riu and rockandrollrabbit like this.
  4. MrProper

MrProper Practically Family

What would then be different than now? You like the jacket, it feels good and fits perfectly and it is real leather.
    And that it is not a collector's item was also clear and it wouldn't be with unprocessed Deerskin either.
    And tanning is also processed lol

So I stick with my order and take a look at it. And if I don't like it, then the financial loss is limited and I order buffalo lol

SkyCapt., Hobbes1, JustinW and 3 others like this.
  5. Jin431

Jin431 One Too Many

Not much I still like the jacket lol it's so much easier to wear compared with my other jackets.

Good point but what I meant was i should have been a more informed consumer.
    The reason I wanted to try the deerskin was to experience another type of leather and this sold me on getting another one (a heavier version) later on.

Hobbes1 and MrProper like this.
  6. MrProper

MrProper Practically Family

You're absolutely right.
    It is difficult because here in the TFL there are certainly different claims than in the rest of the world. And in Shawn's world everything is fine and this kind of processing is normal. I think nothing was concealed, but simply not mentioned because it was assumed to be known.
    We learn that in the future we will ask exactly how the materials are made and then decide whatever.
    With the goatskin I did it, didn't think of it here ;-)

Jin431, torfjord, bn1966 and 4 others like this.
  7. red devil

red devil Call Me a Cab

Yeah, the general customer is only concerned whether it is "real" or not

8. Marc mndt

Marc mndt Call Me a Cab

Hence their previous label :)
    77E48FC0-4C4E-4F2F-9636-BC75E4CE0E10.jpeg

Hobbes1, Zoo, bn1966 and 1 other person like this.
  9. red devil

red devil Call Me a Cab

10. Fonzie

Fonzie One Too Many

All this comparing of deer skins, milled, plated, etc I think is the TFL effect blowing things out of context and proportion again.
    @Jin431 ’s jacket looks fantastic, the leather is very nice and the fit is spot on.
    I think you guys are overlooking the fact that he paid probably at least eight times less or more than what he would have paid if he had bought a deerskin jacket from any if the makers that 5 star are being compared to: LW, RMC, Thedi, etc.
    You can’t pay budget and expect premium, the trade off has to be somewhere.
    I think he did extremely well there.

11. Imuricecreamman

Imuricecreamman Practically Family

I think Shawn is still feeling his way through our sphere here at TFD and some of his choices when it comes to leather treatment and distressing seems somewhat overdone, but his ability to listen to advice and his willingness to try things people suggest are way beyond any other maker I've read about here (maybe other than Greg Fields, but he operates in a much smaller niche) We asked for non-distressed buffalo, we got non-distressed buffalo, we asked for deerskin, we got deerskin (should have asked for uncorrected in the first place ;) )I totally agree with you, Fonzie, the jacket looks great, and the leather never looked like anything other than deerskin to my eyes. But my point is: Shawn's work will only get better and better along with his leatherofferings.

Hobbes1, abone2010, handymike and 9 others like this.
  12. Monitor

Monitor

Agreed on all points but...

It's what this forum is about and I'm sure nobody thinks it's a bad/ugly/whatever leather, just that I personally wouldn't want anyone buying something that isn't as advertised. If it's deerskin, all good. If it's something else - not even hinting this is the case, of course, could've used the Storse analogy just as well - then this is a problem and I personally am very grateful place like this still exists, where you can be sure people are going to tell you what exactly are you spending your money on. Especially nowadays where with so many social networks around, every such topic gets diluted with utter superficiality, fueled by advertising machinery that doesn't even want you to know more.

What I mean is, it's not about the price at all but... After all this time wasted on this hobby, I only want to make sure I'm getting what's checking most of the boxes on the list of things important to me. Otherwise, settling down for something that I don't like, just because the jacket was cheap pretty much feels like I ought to just negate everything that I have learned so far.

You can easily get premium quality out of a $200 jacket. There's no rule to it, same as there's no best leather in the world, not by a long shot. Best leather I've handled was on jackets that I got for under a hundred bucks and they weren't that much pricier even when new.
    So the more you know...

Carlos840, Jin431, RILO and 6 others like this.
  13. Imuricecreamman

Imuricecreamman Practically Family

I personally don't feel bad that Carlos pointed this out in the first place and I don't feel it diminshes Jin's jacket at all.

If one goes through this thread there is a clear evolution in the quality of the design, patterns and the leather quality. And much of that evolution comes through the contribution of the members here who are willing to try new things with a maker who is extremely attentive to input.

I would hazard a guess that it's weird for Shawn to offer leather that he considers less than perfect (uniform in color, grain etc.) That is what he was told to source especially for the new Dubow a-2. Mismatched panels, scars and striations. And that leather is one of my absolute favorites.

SkyCapt., Carlos840, Jin431 and 5 others like this.
  14. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

Well said.

bn1966 likes this.
  15. RILO

RILO One of the Regulars

Do you guys think that Shawn is to keyed in to making his leathers supple?
    Perhaps he don't understand the braking in period that leather jacket can present and the pleasure that is
    to some of us?

Carlos840 likes this.
  16. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

I think he is selling mainly to a mainstream market who want shiny new jackets and have limited or no knowledge of hides or patterns.

RILO, ton312, Zoo and 1 other person like this.
  17. bn1966

bn1966 Call Me a Cab

My custom black deerskin Trucker type 3 is scheduled for delivery this Friday.

It was looking at Jin431’s jacket for his sister that dialled me into it.

TBH the hide being mill plated makes not a jot of difference to me, I liked what I saw & can’t argue with the value being represented at the price point. The purchase is intended as a light weight spring / summer jacket with a late 50’s / 60’s vibe & I’m sure it’s going to meet the brief and some.

My last Eastmans A-2 was a Monarch contract, I was quite specific about about wanting a mixed grain hide & nothing too uniform.

Five Star has been a breath of fresh air for me, things had got a bit stale and very expensive, I’d stopped buying jackets (well almost). Things are fun and doable again, already thinking about an early CR project.
    I’ve enjoyed the posts about the deerskin & have learned a bit too about hide finishes.

Fonzie, Riu, Jin431 and 3 others like this.
  18. bn1966

bn1966 Call Me a Cab

Spot on Seb, Shawn must have found our community quite a steep learning curve with all our requirements & occasionally a pain in the... but one he has readily embraced.

On the flip side it must be stimulating for a man with the level of passion Shawn has for the subject to find enthusiasts to interact with as well as a new stream of business revenue.

The main stream market generally expects something to be comfortable from the off & ‘break in’ an alien term and concept.

Seb Lucas, RILO, Jin431 and 1 other person like this.
  19. Jin431

Jin431 One Too Many

Agreed, we should have asked more information. I got a little nonchalant ordering since they've been doing well so here that I thought everything is top/full grain from their offering.

Thank you, the jacket is really nice to wear and the construction seems well done as well. It's also my entry level jacket to deerskin that I know I will like in a heavier hide.

I'm sure he will read this and I would bet he would listen. 5* has been doing so well and I hope they continue to improve.

I'm actually grateful he pointed it out. I would have never known if he hadn't notice.

They have been on a streak with the goatskin/buffalo/shearling, the deerskin is nice too but it's not full grain so maybe other members here will not like it so much.

I hope you get it earlier than Friday and I hope the fit is a good one.
    I'm glad you still feel that way about the deerskin. It really will be a spring/summer staple for me because how nice it is to wear. It feels as light as a denim jacket but softer.

Glad members here have a keen eye and knowledgable and are thoughtful enough to share opinions

Carlos840, Riu, RILO and 2 others like this.
  20. abone2010

abone2010 One of the Regulars

Shawn send me the pattern for my Maxwell/Hektor mashup half belt button up this morning. Based on the pattern, and our convo back and forth, it looks like he nailed it. Had a bit of a scare when each panel had XL marked on it, but he confirmed my measurements are XL in 5* world. I am a 42/44 so I can have any tag if I want.
    Shawn says my jacket will be the first 5* in his new non-distressed buffalo, 1.3-1.4mm dark brown. I am going with contrast stitching in light brown.

Cornelius, RILO, leper-colony and 5 others like this.