Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Five Star Leather Jackets

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
I picked up another Sunset knockoff made in dark seal lambskin. I have been looking for a light weight windbreaker jacket, and this one weighs 2 pounds. Another well made jacket.
IMG_2608.jpeg
IMG_2626.jpeg
IMG_2642.jpeg
IMG_2665.jpeg
IMG_2666.jpeg
IMG_2667.jpeg

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
I officially put in my order just now. Getting the "Mr. Proper" inspired Amelia Earhart. I made a couple changes. No underarm gussets and went with contrasting olive thread. The lining will be olive as well, cotton in body and satin in sleeves. And seal steerhide. I relaxed the measurements just a smidge after reading several of you saying the steerhide leather was pretty soft out of the box. So, assuming there's not going to be a lot more stretch, wanted to make sure it would fit snug but not super snug.

I've got a couple more designs in my head assuming this first one comes back in good shape. I really like the Cossack design, similar to Aero teamster. I might play with the pockets though and maybe go more G1 style, similar to the Thedi jackets. And if I see any good examples of their natural aniline leather, I might do a cafe racer style in that.

Ubyssey

New in Town
Hi folks. I'm usually on the VLJ forum but I wanted to add my feedback regarding Five Star. The bottom line is, if you're like me, a flight jacket enthusiast on a budget, you can't go wrong with Five Star. It will appeal to enthusiasts who are perfectly happy with the 80% solution, for whom that extra 20% isn't worth the squeeze.

Let's face it. Flight jacket nerds like us are a very small niche market so I have to give props to Shawn for even bothering to explore this market segment given our high standards for what we would even consider to be an acceptable repro. Shawn has proven himself to be highly receptive to feedback and advice and his customer service is superb. I wanted a made-to-measure 55J14 G-1 and he patiently worked with me through every step of the customization process which I found kind of fun. I would love to see more people get into flight jackets and Five Star is nicely positioned to be that "gateway drug", he can even appeal to the old salts. Anyway, here are some pics after a week of wear. Cheers! 20200916_073704.jpg 20200922_111627.jpg 20200922_111646.jpg .

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
Hi folks. I'm usually on the VLJ forum but I wanted to add my feedback regarding Five Star. The bottom line is, if you're like me, a flight jacket enthusiast on a budget, you can't go wrong with Five Star. It will appeal to enthusiasts who are perfectly happy with the 80% solution, for whom that extra 20% isn't worth the squeeze.

Let's face it. Flight jacket nerds like us are a very small niche market so I have to give props to Shawn for even bothering to explore this market segment given our high standards for what we would even consider to be an acceptable repro. Shawn has proven himself to be highly receptive to feedback and advice and his customer service is superb. I wanted a made-to-measure 55J14 G-1 and he patiently worked with me through every step of the customization process which I found kind of fun. I would love to see more people get into flight jackets and Five Star is nicely positioned to be that "gateway drug", he can even appeal to the old salts. Anyway, here are some pics after a week of wear. Cheers! View attachment 266368 View attachment 266369 View attachment 266370 .
good looking jacket. what kind of leather did you go with and what color is the trim? More info you give us the better since their website leaves a lot to be desired. But I agree, everything I've seen so far is pretty darn good news.

Harris HTM

One Too Many

Let's face it. Flight jacket nerds like us are a very small niche market so I have to give props to Shawn for even bothering to explore this market segment given our high standards for what we would even consider to be an acceptable repro. Shawn has proven himself to be highly receptive to feedback and advice and his customer service is superb. I wanted a made-to-measure 55J14 G-1 and he patiently worked with me through every step of the customization process which I found kind of fun. I would love to see more people get into flight jackets and Five Star is nicely positioned to be that "gateway drug", he can even appeal to the old salts. Anyway, here are some pics after a week of wear. Cheers! View attachment 266368 View attachment 266369 View attachment 266370 .
If you could also tell us more about the size (jacket and your measurements) I'd be grateful!

Ubyssey

New in Town
good looking jacket. what kind of leather did you go with and what color is the trim? More info you give us the better since their website leaves a lot to be desired. But I agree, everything I've seen so far is pretty darn good news.
I wasn't too specific about the leather but it looks like their standard seal brown goatskin. I chose the Wine Red polyester lining, light reddish brown mouton collar, and standard two-ply knits. Here are the customization guides Shawn posted on VLJ:
Collar Printing Options.jpg G1 Lining Options.jpg How To measure a G1 Jacket.jpg Knitting Options.jpg Mouton Fur Collar Options.jpg Thread Colour Options.jpg

CBI

One Too Many
I/someone/we needs to upload their sizing chart which also helps. Kind of their standard Small, Med, large sizing just to give you all an idea. They size up to something like XXL. Providing ones own preferred measurements is great but it can help to have a reference.

The G-1 looks nice BTW!!!!

Ayeteael

A-List Customer
Received my jacket early today (Oct 5 original delivery date). I took 2quick pictures in the office. My initial impressions: goatskin looks, feels, and smells great; nice heft but still very light; stitching looks clean except around the button holes; and overall fit is pretty good and should get better once the shoulders settle. With the benefit of hindsight, I would ask for a 1" reduction in the shoulder, 1" reduction in the chest, and higher armholes, but that's on me since I supplied measurements. Overall, I'm pleased and already scheming on what to get next. Will take and upload add'l pics later.
jacket 2.jpg

jacket 1.jpg

Hobbes1

A-List Customer
I wonder how those Cossack jackets would look with a main zipper instead of buttons.....does anyone know if that is an available option somewhere (with pictures)?
Nice looking jackets in the previous two postings!

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
Well you are not going to get a Thedi Hand Dyed Cocoa Buffalo jacket, but patch pockets are on all the A-1s which I think preceded the civilian shawl collar (not sure), and he does A-1s.
If you send him photos of what you want, he can probably do it.

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
yeah, I'm trying to picture what it looks like on. Unfortunately no model photo on Thurston Bros site. But was thinking it's a little bit A1, little bit Cossack, little bit G1. I also thought about the zipper sleeves for contrast. Not completely sold on it. Generally the cossack seems baggy in the gut, but I guess I can mess with that too.

I want to try their racer next I think. I've only seen one picture of it with model wearing and it's a little boxy/baggy. I'm thinking I can address with some measurement adjustments and maybe give him some photos of a Buco back or something along those lines. Going to use the one coming next week as the guide for sleeve width measurements up my whole arm. I'm asking him for leather samples as well. If the aniline natural or cognac color is the right shade, or at least I can futz with it by adding some wax/oil to darken some, I think I'll go for that. I really want a natural CXL and get that long term ageing, but I may give it a shot as an experiment at that price point.

yeah, I'm trying to picture what it looks like on. Unfortunately no model photo on Thurston Bros site. But was thinking it's a little bit A1, little bit Cossack, little bit G1. I also thought about the zipper sleeves for contrast. Not completely sold on it. Generally the cossack seems baggy in the gut, but I guess I can mess with that too.

I want to try their racer next I think. I've only seen one picture of it with model wearing and it's a little boxy/baggy. I'm thinking I can address with some measurement adjustments and maybe give him some photos of a Buco back or something along those lines. Going to use the one coming next week as the guide for sleeve width measurements up my whole arm. I'm asking him for leather samples as well. If the aniline natural or cognac color is the right shade, or at least I can futz with it by adding some wax/oil to darken some, I think I'll go for that. I really want a natural CXL and get that long term ageing, but I may give it a shot as an experiment at that price point.
My jacket from the rising star will have two sets of “patch” pockets. Wait and see how that turns out first. It’s a different style but might give you a window as to how to tweak your pattern.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21