Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Five Star Leather Jackets

Seank

A-List Customer
This is mine that’s on its way. When I first received the photo I was not happy as I was not expecting a knit that tall. I decided to have him ship the jacket out anyway because the overall dimensions are correct so it may not be an issue. If it is I’ll see what Shawn is willing to do about it. I’m really annoyed because the AN6552 that was on his site when I ordered had shorter knits. He’s since replaced the photos with what I assume is Seank’s jacket.
I think that’s my jacket to... now. Look at the collar. Does that look anything, anything at all like ANY of the other pictures on the site.
I think .5” is within tolerance for measurements. Same way any other company treats a range of acceptable leeway. With that said I have had 4 jackets made exactly to the numbers I asked for. I don’t know what I’m doing differently. I do make a multi page PDF with loads of pics and details. I leave no detail untouched. Right down to the seams. How they are sewn, sometimes where they are placed.
Colors are harder to quantify. Looking at pics online, it’s tough to get a really solid idea about the true reality. FWIW I think your jacket looks great but I don’t know what you had envisioned.
I asked him about tolerance before he made it, he told me 1cm.

And honestly, like I told Shawn in email...the .5 difference in P2P isn’t an issue, the P2P feels fine, and the .25” in the sleeves didn’t bother me either...I was just pointing out the differences In our measurements.

It’s the length that bothers me, that and the color of the collar. I did not want a red collar and the “ reddish brown” images on his site IMO just doesn’t come close to what I received.
Here is the pic of the collar color from his customization page followed by the collar I received, just to put this into context for people...
25D7B0B6-E193-41E4-9CD0-34258A220DAC.jpeg

5D94BCAC-4A8C-44BF-90C8-A5FC8BB909F7.jpeg

and then this is the pic of the same jacket on his website, which he put up after sending me the jacket:

DD0427D8-D07B-4115-8792-A6392D35263F.jpeg

I just don’t think this amount of difference is acceptable. These look nothing close!? Is it just me? Am I blind?
Ugh. Oh well. growing pains.

Gonna try something completely different on the remake and see if I can get closer to what I envisioned. Hopefully based on this jacket, we can tweak the fit and get it right. I’ll still be in it at a total cost for less than 1/3 of a new BR...so It’ll be ok.

Last edited:

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I don’t know man. I’m really trying to like my jacket but I don’t think he got mine right. It’s my opinion vs his, but When I measure my jacket the back is 24”. I ordered 24.75”. The sleeves are 25.5”, I ordered 25.25”, the P2P. Measures 21”, in ordered 21.5”.
And the collar color doesn’t look anything like what it looked like in the Pre pictures I received,!its an entirely different color... also the circumference is to small, cuts off blood flow to my head when zipped up. Aesthetically, besides the collar I love it, but it needs a remake. The sizing just isn’t correct.
Now, I asked him about all of this. He claims the measurements are 100% accurate based on measurements I gave him (They’re not, at least according to my tape measure and how I measured it) and he sent me a picture of the mock up and said he sent me measurement pictures before he shipped it for my review (he did..however the first set he sent also showed the P2P at 21” it wasn’t until I questioned the measurement that He sent me a second pic showing 21.5.”) I really don’t get it, I can’t even stretch the jacket enough to get to 21.5” when I measure it. His pics also showed the sleeves longer than I ordered at 25.5 which is what I also get when I measure it...but I was letting that slide because It’s only a .25” difference. Not sure why we get these differences, I know how to measure and I assume he is doing it correct as well, I don’t think anything malicious is going on...

He also claims that the collar color is the same reddish brown he always uses...but the pictures of mine doesn’t look like anything else I’ve seen...so again, IDK. His webpage photos are not a good representation of this collar, that is for sure.

I’m trying to give him the benefit of the doubt, but I’m struggling with it because I know how to measure a jacket, maybe there is some difference in the way we measure? IDK.
I doubt I can convince him that this did not come out right because he seems adamant that it is 100% accurate. I’m also not trying to slam him here...he has been great at answering email and staying in contact. Bottom line is that I just am not happy with the fit or collar and we need to resolve it.

He has offered me either a 20% refund if I can live with the jacket, or a 50% cost to make a new one addressing my concerns.
Since the current jacket just ain’t right and I don’t want to “live with it” A 20% refund doesn’t get me a jacket With a collar I like and that fits the way I originally intended...so my only option it seems is to pay again for a rebuild. Having mixed feelings about this because my first just doesn’t seem accurate despite his custom mock up or the pics he sent me...(At least to me) but that’s the way I am probably going. Chalk this first one up to a learning experience.

Not trying to be a dick here but a measurement variation of half an inch is normal. A number of jacket makers used to announce this to buyers of custom items. I would recommend Shawn specify this in his customer information.

Seank

A-List Customer

And honestly, like I told Shawn in email...the .5 difference in P2P isn’t an issue, the P2P feels fine, and the .25” in the sleeves didn’t bother me either...I was just pointing out the differences In our measurements.

It’s the length that bothers me, that and the color of the collar. I did not want a red collar and the “ reddish brown” images on his site IMO just doesn’t come close to what I received.
Oh well. growing pains.

Gonna try something completely different on the remake and see if I can get closer to what I envisioned. Hopefully based on this jacket, we can tweak the fit and get it right. I’ll still be in it at a total cost for less than 1/3 of a new BR...so It’ll be ok.[/QUOTE]
Not trying to be a dick here but a measurement variation of half an inch is normal. A number of jacket makers used to announce this to buyers of custom items. I would recommend Shawn specify this in his customer information.
Not trying to be a dick here but a measurement variation of half an inch is normal. A number of jacket makers used
I get that. He specifically told me his tolerance was 1cm when I asked, before he made it .
I was just comparing what I ordered to what I received.

I am not concerned So much with the measurements that came within .5”...and I told him that. My main concern is the back length Being .75” off, (at least to me, he claims it is not) and collar. I also understand that it’s hard to capture color...but man, this thing is just way off what I expected.

VolkswagenNerd

New in Town

Oh well. growing pains.

Gonna try something completely different on the remake and see if I can get closer to what I envisioned. Hopefully based on this jacket, we can tweak the fit and get it right. I’ll still be in it at a total cost for less than 1/3 of a new BR...so It’ll be ok.

I get that. He specifically told me his tolerance was 1cm when I asked, before he made it .
I was just comparing what I ordered to what I received.

I am not concerned So much with the measurements that came within .5”...and I told him that. My main concern is the back length Being .75” off, (at least to me, he claims it is not) and collar. I also understand that it’s hard to capture color...but man, this thing is just way off what I expected.[/QUOTE]

If you wet the body of the jacket you can probably stretch it that much, assuming the liner has that much tolerance.

Edit:
Just realized that zippers don't stretch. Oh well, leaving my crazy recommendation.

Last edited:

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This is mine that’s on its way. When I first received the photo I was not happy as I was not expecting a knit that tall. I decided to have him ship the jacket out anyway because the overall dimensions seem to be correct. Although after reading seank’s post above I can’t be sure. If it doesn't work proportionally I’ll see what Shawn is willing to do about it. I’m really annoyed because the AN6552 that was on his site when I ordered had shorter knits. Sean has since replaced the photos with what I assume is Seank’s jacket.
Damn dude, your knits are 4 1/2”!
That’s almost mini skirt territory.

Colors are tough. This is the same jacket shot in different light.
E1496261-5C9F-4468-B93A-41497DE53208.jpeg
F952D108-1DF9-4185-B3E0-A0B26DE91AE4.jpeg
0B1806D7-0366-4412-898E-66D1F3636FBD.jpeg

Point being that it’s hard to capture in photos. As far as knits go....what are they supposed to measure? Shawns look similar to the Buzz Rickson jacket posted earlier...are they both “wrong”. I honestly wouldn’t know...

Last edited:

El Marro

So after making the wisecrack above I decided to measure my vintage L.W. Foster G-1 that has rib rack knits. The knits on my original jacket are 3 3/4” tall, so Shawn is not as far off as I thought he was.

VolkswagenNerd

New in Town
So after making the wisecrack above I decided to measure my vintage L.W. Foster G-1 that has rib rack knits. The knits on my original jacket are 3 3/4” tall, so Shawn is not as far off as I thought he was.

Ok, thanks for that info. If makes me feel a bit better. I’ll post some fit pics when my jacket arrives. Looks like it’s in Germany now. I’m on the west coast of the US.

El Marro

Ok, thanks for that info. If makes me feel a bit better. I’ll post some fit pics when my jacket arrives. Looks like it’s in Germany now. I’m on the west coast of the US.
Absolutely, I have been meaning to measure this one since I saw SeanK’s jacket and I was surprised to see that they really are that tall. I guess I am more used to modern jackets with shorter knits.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
View attachment 287056 View attachment 287057 View attachment 287058
Point being that it’s hard to capture in photos. As far as knits go....what are they supposed to measure? Shawns look similar to the Buzz Rickson jacket posted earlier...are they both “wrong”. I honestly wouldn’t know...

It's not hard if you use white balance and a grey card...
It's really not complicated to do and it allows you to have consistant colours in pictures whatever the ambiant light is.
Personally i don't understand that a shop would not do that, it removes all room for error.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
View attachment 287056 View attachment 287057 View attachment 287058

Here is a quick example, no editing other than white balance adjustement to a grey card, it literally takes 2 seconds:

Unbalanced:

KJSe31K.jpg

Balanced:

Z134SNI.jpg

Here is a quick example, no editing other than white balance adjustement to a grey card, it literally takes 2 seconds:

Unbalanced:

KJSe31K.jpg

Balanced:

Z134SNI.jpg
I personally don’t know enough about photography to effectively comment. My feeling would simply be that 5 star would benefit, from using higher res images at least. The jacket shots on the web look to be really low res, which doesn’t help matters.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
It also depends on which screen you're looking at. I recently got an Iphone 12 which shows much warmer colors than my previous Iphone X which's screen is much more blue.

torfjord

Call Me a Cab
I recently started the process with Shawn to have him design a replica of a vintage Wrangler denim jacket. I´ve decided to go with the same russet shade of goat that went into building the Californian that they built for Tony. I think I want some contrasting thread color as a homage to its denim jacket origin. But I´m hesitant to decide anything based on the pictures on his website. Any of you out there who has seen his thread colors IRL and can advice? I was thinking maybe a beige thread color would be a nice contrast to the terra cotta color of the russet goat.

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
He has offered me either a 20% refund if I can live with the jacket, or a 50% cost to make a new one addressing my concerns.

Much better than what he offered me. So be glad. I got a 10% off next order and go fix the other issues myself.

I told Shawn, before I decided to just cut my losses, that spending like a couple hundred bucks to improve the photos on his site would really save him and his customers a lot of trouble. These variances people are posting above are legit, but the stuff on his site are atrocious. Black jackets look purple (like Prince purple). They're using flash and blowing out the colors. Ultimately that's what screwed me on my infamous olive green thread.

The knits, don't get me started LOL.

The measurements I think are within reason.

I never realized how big the shop is. So on one hand I can commend his individual response and ability to customize down to the most minute detail. But on the other hand, with an operation that big, stuff is going to go wrong from time to time. Unscientifically speaking, seems like about 5-10% of the jackets have had some sort of issue big or small--sometimes user error, sometimes their error, sometimes just murphys law, sometimes not understanding western sizing.

To be fair, I've bought jackets from so called "nicer" shops where the measurements don't match and/or there's been other problems. So not meant to be a rant on 5*.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner