Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Five Star Leather Jackets

Bahabp100

Practically Family
This morning, I received an email from Shawn that my newest jacket is done and ready to ship. What did I think of the pictures? To be honest, some pictures made me quite happy and a couple others not so much. One in particular may be a show stopper. Pictures of several other parts of the jacket were not included.
So, I have replied back to Shawn to ask for the missing areas to be photographed and if possible pictures with better lighting and better focus. Some were blurry and made me question whether the leather itself was grainy, in a not-so-good way. I'll post a couple pictures here.

The first is the new tag they have developed. I quite like it :)
Several other pictures were as out of focus as this one, making it hard to determine what I might receive.

View attachment 290580

This second image is the one that is potentially a deal breaker for me. I am very concerned about the folds or creases that seem prominent. May be a trick of the light or how the jacket is laid out. OR might be something else. I've also asked for pictures of the jacket being worn both zipped and unzipped.
View attachment 290581

So, we shall see. I had hoped to have the jacket before Christmas but that doesn't seem likely. I'd rather have a jacket that will meet my (hopefully reasonable) expectations, even if it takes longer. Fingers Crossed!
Tell him Don’t ship . Don’t take possession unless you are completely happy . He can remake the jacket to the proper specs and you don’t deal with the return refund discount route. His goal really is to make you happy Good Luck!

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
Mine too. Been waiting on a PHWM...just got the email today after a 3 month wait to finalize the production sheet, so it sounds like it won’t be to much longer!!!

What hide did you choose for yours? I have a tumbled cordovan coming by mid-late Feb

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
This morning, I received an email from Shawn that my newest jacket is done and ready to ship. What did I think of the pictures? To be honest, some pictures made me quite happy and a couple others not so much. One in particular may be a show stopper. Pictures of several other parts of the jacket were not included.
So, I have replied back to Shawn to ask for the missing areas to be photographed and if possible pictures with better lighting and better focus. Some were blurry and made me question whether the leather itself was grainy, in a not-so-good way. I'll post a couple pictures here.

Several other pictures were as out of focus as this one, making it hard to determine what I might receive.

View attachment 290580

This second image is the one that is potentially a deal breaker for me. I am very concerned about the folds or creases that seem prominent. May be a trick of the light or how the jacket is laid out. OR might be something else. I've also asked for pictures of the jacket being worn both zipped and unzipped.
View attachment 290581

So, we shall see. I had hoped to have the jacket before Christmas but that doesn't seem likely. I'd rather have a jacket that will meet my (hopefully reasonable) expectations, even if it takes longer. Fingers Crossed!

Hope this turns out well. All the best.

The new label instantly makes the jacket look $200 more expensive.

I hear you. This is a clear improvement compared to the old ones. I'm glad he is listening/reading customers feedback.

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
Just finalized my 5 starcaidia remake this am. Will have that same label and some very minor tweaks!

2nd time round will look better for sure especially with the nicer label! Shawn has not replied to me for the past 3 days regarding the deerskin trucker.

Seank

A-List Customer
What hide did you choose for yours? I have a tumbled cordovan coming by mid-late Feb
I went with Black CXL FQHH, olive drab contrast stitching, zip sleeves on top like BR, nickel zips, and deleted the chest pocket chain pull to just a regular talon zip like on the main zipper...i don’t like dangly bits so with this I can pull off the leather pull and just tuck the talon pull under the overlapping leather and get a clean look.
I was going to do blackened brown Vic, but already have a Vic cafe racer and wanted something different . Something about the PHWM that kept calling me to go with something shiny and dark black like the CXL.

Last edited:

Seank

A-List Customer
2nd time round will look better for sure especially with the nicer label! Shawn has not replied to me for the past 3 days regarding the deerskin trucker.
He hasn’t replied to me either this week. He must be really busy. I’m sure we’ll here back soon.

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
I went with Black CXL FQHH, olive drab contrast stitching, zip sleeves on top like BR, nickel zips, and deleted the chest pocket chain pull to just a regular talon zip like on the main zipper...i don’t like dangly bits so with this I can pull off the leather pull and just tuck the talon pull under the overlapping leather and get a clean look.
I was going to do blackened brown Vic, but already have a Vic cafe racer and wanted something different . Something about the PWHM that kept calling me to go with something shiny and dark black like the CXL.

That's cool! Can't wait to see you rock that jacket. There was a stock PHWM here recently in black fqhh cxl and it looked great; it was smooth looking, shiny and really dark. I'm sure yours will be equally as cool if not more with the modifications you requested that says a lot about you. I hear you about the chain pull, I'll probably just tuck mine in the pocket too lol

I requested dark/grainy tumbled Cordovan fqhh cxl, zip sleeves (bottom placement), standard HWM yoke, Holly offered wild card lining in green/brown for free so I took it, brass hardware. I requested an august collar but aero hasn't approved my request yet (initially asked a speedway collar but was told it's not compatible with the jacket pattern)

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here

View attachment 290580

View attachment 290581

You are wise to wait until your questions are answered. I agree that those creases on the back look bad, and they also look permanent. I think your request to see photos of the jacket being worn are also quite smart and something that other people might consider going forward. Could show some pattern issues that would not be detected when it is laying flat on a table.

Seank

A-List Customer
That's cool! Can't wait to see you rock that jacket. There was a stock PHWM here recently in black fqhh cxl and it looked great; it was smooth looking, shiny and really dark. I'm sure yours will be equally as cool if not more with the modifications you requested that says a lot about you. I hear you about the chain pull, I'll probably just tuck mine in the pocket too lol

I requested dark/grainy tumbled Cordovan fqhh cxl, zip sleeves (bottom placement), standard HWM yoke, Holly offered wild card lining in green/brown for free so I took it, brass hardware. I requested an august collar but aero hasn't approved my request yet (initially asked a speedway collar but was told it's not compatible with the jacket pattern)
You’ll love that cordovan .I had a Sheene in cordovan steer and it was gorgeous! Lining...I forgot, mine is a red based tartan. Forget the name but has red white and black elements. Looks sharp.
I’m sure your will be something to behold. cordovan is like nothing else...goes with black/brown... really is a stunner and doesn’t look like every other leather jacket you see on the street, looks real classy.

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
You’ll love that cordovan .I had a Sheene in cordovan steer and it was gorgeous! Lining...I forgot, mine is a red based tartan. Forget the name but has red white and black elements. Looks sharp.
I’m sure your will be something to behold. cordovan is like nothing else...goes with black/brown... really is a stunner and doesn’t look like every other leather jacket you see on the street, looks real classy.

Too bad you had to part ways with your cordovan sheene jacket. Tartans linings are cool for sure, I hope aero give me a subtle design and not too flashy.

Yes, that's very cool to hear, thanks for sharing. I love it when I don't have to think hard about pairing outfits. Thanks, the only concern I have is I hope it fits me well. I'm going a size down w/ bigger shoulders from my stf BL with.

air

One of the Regulars
Doing such drawings doesn't seem that accessible, how did you learn?
Unfortunately those are not mine, just borrowed from the internet.
I learned a little bit of technical drawing in high school.
Believe it or not you don't need any artistic ability for those, just a set like in the picture or free software like librecad.
iu

The idea behind this is to pick several views of the object you wan to draw, usually front, side and top.

For a leather jacket the simplest way, imo, would be splitting it into piecesfront panel, back panel, side panels, sleeves an collar. Alternatively you could do it as a whole with front, back, top and side views.

Usually you make the drawings first, then the product. Since you are reverse engineering an existing jacket, the process will involve lots of measuring.

The gist of the process is to measure the distance between two points, figure out the direction of the line joining them, and draw it. If you do it by hand, you will have to pick a scale, small enough to fit the drawings on the paper, but big enough that you can get the details in essily. Between 1:5 and 1:10 should be ok for a regular sheet.

You can learn more about technical drawing at https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technical_drawing or even better, you can just ask me, though my knowledge is superficial at best. There should be members who are much better than me at it.

Distance between points, direction of the line joining them, lots of measuring and patience. Trust the process.

Seank

A-List Customer

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
Speaking of truckers, after we spoke over PM, I saw this on the Aero stock page in exactly the configuration that I want...only it’s a size to small or I would have snatched it up

https://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/product-detail.php?id=5146

Wow, that's nice! I wonder what's the difference that soft Italian leather vs the vicenza? That will fit me just fine but a touch long on the length/sleeves! Plus waiting on a FL offering of a trucker jacket

Seank

A-List Customer
Wow, that's nice! I wonder what's the difference that soft Italian leather vs the vicenza? That will fit me just fine but a touch long on the length/sleeves! Plus waiting on a FL offering of a trucker jacket
Ya...it’s nice. I’d buy it but I need about 1” more length in the back and sleeves. Shoulders are perfect <sigh>

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
Ya...it’s nice. I’d buy it but I need about 1” more length in the back and sleeves. Shoulders are perfect <sigh>

really rare to find that sweet spot in terms of measurement. Too bad it didn't pan out for you. that trucker that might not last long, I haven't seen atrucker jacket on the sales page before

CRP

New in Town
Probably should have used thumbnails. Anyways, I'm much happier with the fit and feel of the jacket after the alterations. Also, both sets of pics had the same thin sweater underneath. This CR was a pretty simple jacket though. Good luck altering yours if you go that route. It was worth it for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24